Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex Platinum - 60,000pts+free one additional platinum

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 10:50 pm
Feb 20, 2019
14 posts
27 upvotes
I postponed applying but now just did. Still worked with the RSVP code!
Feb 26, 2009
227 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey, BC
lithiumli wrote: I was going to apply next week too :(
Do it now while it's still active !
AKA "canadude" :arrow: Howard Forums
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6119 posts
271 upvotes
Scarborough
I applied after I posted it was dead.
I didn't put my sin number as I wasn't home and don't know it so I got a screen at the end saying they need to review it. I also put an alert for fraud on my credit report so that's probably why it's under review. I definitely have no problems with income and credit score requirements.

canadude1122 wrote: Do it now while it's still active !
Feb 26, 2009
227 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey, BC
lithiumli wrote: I applied after I posted it was dead.
I didn't put my sin number as I wasn't home and don't know it so I got a screen at the end saying they need to review it. I also put an alert for fraud on my credit report so that's probably why it's under review. I definitely have no problems with income and credit score requirements.

I'm sure you will be fine, they are probably just gonna confirm identity.

I put my SIN and my current credit card number I have with Amex bank and it was instant .
AKA "canadude" :arrow: Howard Forums
Jan 5, 2010
15 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond BC
So, i called up AMEX Customer Service and they said the Supplemental Card is only FYF, and it will charge $175 year 2 and onwards...

However, on the terms and conditions from the box, (see image). It says Basic Card: $699; Platinum Supplemntary Card $0 for 1.

So is the 1st supplementary card free until I cancel?
Images
  • F96BDD8F-BF9C-45DE-B164-7C4642C55B60.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
3004 posts
462 upvotes
canadude1122 wrote: I'm sure you will be fine, they are probably just gonna confirm identity.

I put my SIN and my current credit card number I have with Amex bank and it was instant .
I didn’t put credit card or SIN in my application and I was instantly approved.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6119 posts
271 upvotes
Scarborough
Probably the fraud alert I put on my equifax and trans union.

ExcelPremium wrote: I didn’t put credit card or SIN in my application and I was instantly approved.
Nov 7, 2014
130 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Man, I am not sure if I should join the bandwagon since I already have Biz Plat.
With my spending pattern, Biz Plat + Gold is quiet sufficient plus I got Cobalt which take care of the Grocery/Dining, I felt if I apply I am basically buying the 60000MR for $699.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
4607 posts
2990 upvotes
mclyin wrote: Man, I am not sure if I should join the bandwagon since I already have Biz Plat.
With my spending pattern, Biz Plat + Gold is quiet sufficient plus I got Cobalt which take care of the Grocery/Dining, I felt if I apply I am basically buying the 60000MR for $699.
If you travel with your spouse and kids, the personal platinum is better with unlimited lounge access for 4 people.
💳 Amex Platinum - Amex Cobalt / Scotia Gold Amex - Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite - HSBC World Elite MC
Nov 7, 2014
130 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EdisonL299 wrote: If you travel with your spouse and kids, the personal platinum is better with unlimited lounge access for 4 people.
My understanding is that Biz Plat also provide unlimited lounge access to spouse plus kids?!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
4607 posts
2990 upvotes
mclyin wrote: My understanding is that Biz Plat also provide unlimited lounge access to spouse plus kids?!
No. Biz Plat gives you and 1 guest unlimited lounge access. You have to pay if you travel with your spouse and kid(s). However, this Personal Platinum gives you a free supplementary card. That means you can bring a guest/kid, and your spouse can bring another guest/kid.
💳 Amex Platinum - Amex Cobalt / Scotia Gold Amex - Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite - HSBC World Elite MC
Nov 7, 2014
130 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EdisonL299 wrote: No. Biz Plat gives you and 1 guest unlimited lounge access. You have to pay if you travel with your spouse and kid(s). However, this Personal Platinum gives you a free supplementary card. That means you can bring a guest/kid, and your spouse can bring another guest/kid.
Thanks for clarify. Yes, now I recalled why I didn't get charged back in March because my spouse have a supplementary Biz Plat so my kid got in for free.
I guess at $598/year (I signed up biz plat last year through Canada Post Program) vs $699 but receive $200 travel credit, I am better off with Personal Plat.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
4607 posts
2990 upvotes
mclyin wrote: Thanks for clarify. Yes, now I recalled why I didn't get charged back in March because my spouse have a supplementary Biz Plat so my kid got in for free.
I guess at $598/year (I signed up biz plat last year through Canada Post Program) vs $699 but receive $200 travel credit, I am better off with Personal Plat.
Also Personal Platinum has better travel insurance and more hotel statuses (Hilton Gold, Shangri-la, etc). If you have to choose either one, Personal Platinum is better.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5204 posts
1761 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: I spent years looking at the various Amex cards and credit cards and I am one of the regular posters of the credit card forum, have been for years. I am still puzzled to see many people applying for a $700 a year card. I can afford it, I just don't see the benefit. The rewards in and of themselves are not interesting, other Amex cards like the Cobalt offer almost the same thing for 6 times less in fees.

I guess you have a separate line in the Lester B Pearson airport that can afford you to wait a whopping 20 minutes less in line (if you live in Toronto that is) and you can use lounges, but I wonder how many people need 15 lounges a year or if it's even worth anything real paying for lounges. The few times I used them it's been nothing special for me, I just prefer to wait in the regular area close the boarding gate and the restaurants, honestly.

Amex before it went mainstream used to be about conspicuous consumption. I am persuaded that this is the reason why most Amex Platinum owners use this card. It's purely a status symbol at the end of the day. Hence why you read people saying they want it because it's made out of metal.
This is made of metal?!?!?! Applying now! Thanks op!
Jan 26, 2017
105 posts
35 upvotes
Just applied (no sin card) and got instantly approved. Definitely still working, thanked OP!