Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

Amex Platinum YYZ Duty Free $200 off $200 or more

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 10:12 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2883 posts
1622 upvotes
April to June is referring to “Enjoy up to 50% off at select hotels. “
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
drunkgoat wrote: April to June is referring to “Enjoy up to 50% off at select hotels. “
ah...makes sense.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
From my email
yes I do agree it's a bit confusing

Hotel salge page
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/servi ... lid=amex14

Travel somewhere new in 2018 with up to 50% off select hotels in our sale.¹
Terms & Conditions
1. Hotel offers cannot be used in conjunction with FINE HOTELS & RESORTS or The Hotel Collection program benefits or offers. Discounts on eligible properties are applied before applicable taxes and are valid on room rate only. Offer is available for select hotels booked between December 19, 2017 and February 28, 2018, for stays between April 1, 2018 and June 30, 2018. No cash alternative available. Full prepayment is required on an American ExpressⓇ Card and/or Membership RewardsⓇ points (as applicable) at the time of booking. Valid for online bookings only. Rates are inclusive of applicable taxes and exclude additional hotel purchases. Subject to availability. All hotel offers and rates are subject to change and can be withdrawn at any time. Discounts vary by property. Other conditions, restrictions and blackout dates may apply.

Earn a $150 credit when you spend $400 or more.²
2. This offer is only available to Canadian Consumer Platinum Cardmembers who have been sent this offer by email. Only the Basic American Express Platinum Card referenced in this email has been automatically registered for this offer and must be used as the method of payment. Maximum of one [1] statement credit of $150 (CAD) is available per registered card during the offer period. Purchases made with supplementary cards are not qualifying purchases.
To be eligible for this offer:
Your account must be in good standing.
You must use your registered American Express Platinum Card to make a qualifying purchase online at americanexpress.ca/travel between December 19, 2017 at 12:00:01am EST and February 28, 2018 11:59:59 pm EST.
Qualifying purchases include prepaid hotels and car rental bookings made on American Express Travel Online where American Express Travel (not the hotel or car rental company) is the merchant, and charged to your registered Card at time of check out. Hotels booked through the FINE HOTEL & RESORTS and The Hotel Collection program are not eligible for this offer.
A transaction made using a combination of your Membership Rewards points and a payment with your registered Card (of minimum $400) will qualify for this offer. A transaction made using only your Membership Rewards points for the full amount of the qualifying purchase will not qualify for this offer.
To be eligible for a $150 (CAD) statement credit, a qualifying purchase of $400 (CAD) or more in a single transaction, after taxes, must be charged to your registered card at American Express travel online through the americanexpress.ca/travel website during the offer period and subsequently posted to your account.
Statement Credit may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement and up to 90 days to be credited to the account, after the Cardmember has completed a qualifying purchase. If the statement credit is being applied to a credit card account, please note that this does not satisfy the requirements to pay the minimum due. A statement credit does not constitute a payment. The Cardmember must continue to make separate payments of at least the minimum due in accordance with the Cardmember agreement and account statement. We reserve the right to substitute an American Express Gift card or cheque in lieu of the statement credit. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer. A rewarded statement credit may be reversed if the qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Nov 13, 2016
323 posts
393 upvotes
major wrote: At YYZ now (chilling in the PP Lounge). Just picked up a set of Oakley sunglasses at Duty Free to take advantage of the $200 credit. The Duty Free shop had a decent selection of sunglasses, miscellaneous Canada logo clothes and high end chocolate for those of you who don't want booze, perfume or smokes.

This trip is especially rewarding using the Platinum card special credits. $200 (duty free) + $200 annual travel credit + $150 promotional hotel travel credit.
Do they clawback the promotional hotel credit if you cancel the booking?
Sep 3, 2003
371 posts
30 upvotes
Any electronics or headphones available?
major wrote: At YYZ now (chilling in the PP Lounge). Just picked up a set of Oakley sunglasses at Duty Free to take advantage of the $200 credit. The Duty Free shop had a decent selection of sunglasses, miscellaneous Canada logo clothes and high end chocolate for those of you who don't want booze, perfume or smokes.

This trip is especially rewarding using the Platinum card special credits. $200 (duty free) + $200 annual travel credit + $150 promotional hotel travel credit.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1878 posts
424 upvotes
Why am I not getting any offers from AMEX emailed to me? I did not receive the Duty Free offer nor did I receive the hotel offer. I checked my profile and it has my home address, phone number and email address and in my Marketing Preferences I have everything checked on for receiving communications. I'm probably missing out on a lot of useful offers.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1275 posts
404 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote: Why am I not getting any offers from AMEX emailed to me? I did not receive the Duty Free offer nor did I receive the hotel offer. I checked my profile and it has my home address, phone number and email address and in my Marketing Preferences I have everything checked on for receiving communications. I'm probably missing out on a lot of useful offers.
The offers may depend on the cards you hold. In our house, we have 7 amex cards. The emails seem to be sporadic for different cards and the offers vary. The hotel offer was 75 off 200 for two of my accounts, my biz plat got the 50 off 200 email while hubby's biz plat didn't. We didn't get the personal plat email at all, but I understand they honor it for all cardholders. Best thing is to subscribe to this thread. It keeps me up to date on ALL offers and reminds me to use them too!
Mar 27, 2006
373 posts
444 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: From my email
yes I do agree it's a bit confusing

Hotel salge page
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/servi ... lid=amex14

Travel somewhere new in 2018 with up to 50% off select hotels in our sale.¹

Earn a $150 credit when you spend $400 or more.²
When both links point to the same page, I suppose the $150 statement credit deal has to go together with the 50% off sale.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried looking at some of the hotels for my future vacation and none of them offered prepaid rates :(
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
youbet wrote: When both links point to the same page, I suppose the $150 statement credit deal has to go together with the 50% off sale.
They are separate offers. I got the $150 credit already without booking a stay during the sale period.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
slampii wrote: Do they clawback the promotional hotel credit if you cancel the booking?
If you are referring to the $150, then yes they do. I made a booking, canceled it, and rebooked. The $150 was clawed back and then reapplied.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Jun 15, 2001
552 posts
354 upvotes
T.O.
hawk99 wrote: Any electronics or headphones available?
None that I could see.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2013
1066 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
My sister got the promo but won’t be traveling. I am though. Can I purchase stuff at duty free using her Amex? They don’t check the name on the cc anyway when you pay do they?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Kayceern wrote: My sister got the promo but won’t be traveling. I am though. Can I purchase stuff at duty free using her Amex? They don’t check the name on the cc anyway when you pay do they?
Read post #2/Thread summary = It's open to ALL Plat cardholders
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Sep 3, 2003
371 posts
30 upvotes
Disappointing as I don't want sunglasses, alcohol or chocolate. Did they have any watches, accessories?
Oct 3, 2014
74 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure if it’s been asked or answered, but I was approved for the Platinum card a week ago and just happened to be going out of town. Was gonna buy some stuff at the DF anyway so I figured I’d use the AMEX to see if it would work for a newly approved card/member.
Just got the credit on my account. So for those who are new or potentially want to get the card it seems as if we all qualify.
Talk about even more benefits to this card.
Sep 16, 2016
311 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
If you call the customer service, can they tell you if you are qualiied for this promotion or not? Is there anyway you can take advantage of this offer without having to leave Canada?
If we can dream it, we can make it!
Aug 27, 2013
84 posts
76 upvotes
BC
Can someone please clarify to me if I have to fly internationally for this deal? All stores are associated with Duty Free so a domestic boarding pass won't work?

Are there any work arounds to make this work if I'm flying domestically? Can I ask to pay duty on it Thinking Face. PM me if it's unethical and would rather not publicly disclose Face With Stuck-out Tongue
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
hawk99 wrote: Disappointing as I don't want sunglasses, alcohol or chocolate. Did they have any watches, accessories?
I bought a watch at the US Terminal 1 Duty free and received the credit.
May 3, 2017
215 posts
108 upvotes
Yurikaa350 wrote: Can someone please clarify to me if I have to fly internationally for this deal? All stores are associated with Duty Free so a domestic boarding pass won't work?

Are there any work arounds to make this work if I'm flying domestically? Can I ask to pay duty on it Thinking Face. PM me if it's unethical and would rather not publicly disclose Face With Stuck-out Tongue
duty free stores only in the US/INTL sections of the airport. without the right boarding pass you wouldn't even be able to go there anyways