• Feb 19th, 2018 12:33 pm
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3252 posts
3085 upvotes
Montreal
brunes wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:25 am
The first year is "cheap". Subsequent years are not... also it can be painful to try to use the stupid $200 credit because you HAVE TO book the travel through Amex which is not going to let you use any decent discount codes.
If you know how to work around the system then it still remains cheap as long as Amex not changing the system.

For example, how to redeem $200 travel credit easily and don't even care the discount.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/platinum ... y-2149360/

Similarly, you could easily redeem BMO Rewards...
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bmo-worl ... #p28652474

For second year, you could self refer to get Amex Business Platinum ($400 annual fee) to get 75000 bonus points (>= $750) and 15000 referral points (>= $150) then cancel the Personal Amex Platinum.
Second year cost = $400 - $750 - $150 = - $500. It's super cheap now. Amex gives you $500 for the second year Amex Business Platinum. You need to spend $5000 in the first 3 months.

For third year, self refer to get Amex Platinum ($700 annual fee + $200 travel credit) to get 60000 bonus points (>= $600) and 25000 referral points (>= $250) then cancel the Amex Business Platinum. This is working YMMV until Amex system refuse to give 60000 bonus points.
Third year cost = $700 - $200 - $600 - $250 = -$350. Again, Amex will give you $350 for third year.
Nov 24, 2014
275 posts
155 upvotes
7thEye wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:54 am
I have an Amex platinum personal and I didn’t eat this email (my friends with same card did). Am I still eligible?
I've had this card now for over 2 years and I haven't received it yet.

Anyone that can chime in on whether its applicable to all Personal Platninum cardholders regardless of whether we received an email or not? . thnx in advance
Sep 17, 2007
204 posts
45 upvotes
Wasaga Beach
brunes wrote:
The first year is "cheap". Subsequent years are not... also it can be painful to try to use the stupid $200 credit because you HAVE TO book the travel through Amex which is not going to let you use any decent discount codes.
You can always cancel the booking after you've received the credit. They don't claw back the credit.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21530 posts
3727 upvotes
Waterloo
jurassicworld wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:28 am
I've had this card now for over 2 years and I haven't received it yet.

Anyone that can chime in on whether its applicable to all Personal Platninum cardholders regardless of whether we received an email or not? . thnx in advance
Yes
read the "thread summary" where I provided message from AMEX
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5620 posts
1697 upvotes
North York
There are 2 personal platinum AMEX, make sure you have the right one or else you'll get really disappointed after making purchase.
AMEX The Platinum gives $200 cashback on $200 purchase;
AMEX Air Miles Platinum only gives $50 cashback on $200 purchase.
Nov 24, 2014
275 posts
155 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:14 pm
Yes
read the "thread summary" where I provided message from AMEX
Thank you sir! i missed that. Will be at YYZ next week so this will definitely come in handy
Nov 24, 2014
275 posts
155 upvotes
Any electronic items such as Bose headsets available at Duty Free?
DUFRY site says that there is an electronics section but not sure what they exactly carry. Would be nice if $200 can be used towards such purchases :D
Jan 17, 2009
110 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
BushCaddy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
You can always cancel the booking after you've received the credit. They don't claw back the credit.
They seriously don't take back the credit?
Aug 15, 2013
676 posts
332 upvotes
Guelph
Any recommendations for the purchase? Dont care what it is.. I dont specifically need anything so basically anything is fine, reasonably priced. Liqour won't work and i don't smoke.
Jul 16, 2016
74 posts
47 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Why would you use $200 credit with Amex? Just use the proven and safe loophole called" Booking-and-take-the-credit-and-cancel-without-penalty".
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
1876 posts
83 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
Ecsta wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:49 pm
They seriously don't take back the credit?
Correct. And it is 2x $200 credit since the credit is re-added beginning of Jan, so you get it twice in your first year of card membership. We did this twice this year (book and cancel) -- the agent was nice enough to confirm the credit would stay on our statement..

Add in a few lounge visits with family, and the points.. the first year is a good year.
Jun 15, 2001
447 posts
66 upvotes
T.O.
At YYZ now (chilling in the PP Lounge). Just picked up a set of Oakley sunglasses at Duty Free to take advantage of the $200 credit. The Duty Free shop had a decent selection of sunglasses, miscellaneous Canada logo clothes and high end chocolate for those of you who don't want booze, perfume or smokes.

This trip is especially rewarding using the Platinum card special credits. $200 (duty free) + $200 annual travel credit + $150 promotional hotel travel credit.
Jan 31, 2016
893 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto, ON
major wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 12:56 pm

This trip is especially rewarding using the Platinum card special credits. $200 (duty free) + $200 annual travel credit + $150 promotional hotel travel credit.
What's the $150 hotel travel credit? Is it for all platinum cardholders?
Jul 16, 2016
74 posts
47 upvotes
dotsandpixels wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 1:37 pm
FHR = Fine Hotels & Resorts offer maybe?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1686 posts
172 upvotes
dotsandpixels wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 1:37 pm
Step 1
Visit American ExpressⓇ Travel Online.
Step 2
Use your registered Card to make a single purchase of $400 CAD or more (after taxes) on any eligible prepaid hotel or car rental by February 28, 2018. For transactions made using a combination of your Membership Rewards points and a payment with your registered Card, a minimum of $400 (after taxes) must be charged to your Card.
Step 3
Earn a $150 statement credit. A maximum of one (1) statement credit of $150 will be applied to your account.

2. This offer is only available to Canadian Consumer Platinum Cardmembers who have been sent this offer by email. Only the Basic American Express Platinum Card referenced in this email has been automatically registered for this offer and must be used as the method of payment. Maximum of one [1] statement credit of $150 (CAD) is available per registered card during the offer period. Purchases made with supplementary cards are not qualifying purchases.

To be eligible for this offer:

Your account must be in good standing.
You must use your registered American Express Platinum Card to make a qualifying purchase online at americanexpress.ca/travel between December 19, 2017 at 12:00:01am EST and February 28, 2018 11:59:59 pm EST.
Qualifying purchases include prepaid hotels and car rental bookings made on American Express Travel Online where American Express Travel (not the hotel or car rental company) is the merchant, and charged to your registered Card at time of check out. Hotels booked through the FINE HOTEL & RESORTS and The Hotel Collection program are not eligible for this offer.
A transaction made using a combination of your Membership Rewards points and a payment with your registered Card (of minimum $400) will qualify for this offer. A transaction made using only your Membership Rewards points for the full amount of the qualifying purchase will not qualify for this offer.

To be eligible for a $150 (CAD) statement credit, a qualifying purchase of $400 (CAD) or more in a single transaction, after taxes, must be charged to your registered card at American Express travel online through the americanexpress.ca/travel website during the offer period and subsequently posted to your account.

Statement Credit may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement and up to 90 days to be credited to the account, after the Cardmember has completed a qualifying purchase. If the statement credit is being applied to a credit card account, please note that this does not satisfy the requirements to pay the minimum due. A statement credit does not constitute a payment. The Cardmember must continue to make separate payments of at least the minimum due in accordance with the Cardmember agreement and account statement. We reserve the right to substitute an American Express Gift card or cheque in lieu of the statement credit. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer. A rewarded statement credit may be reversed if the qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled.

In the event that you replace your registered card through Amex Bank of Canada or a licensed third party issuer (as applicable) during the offer period, your participation in this offer will end and you will need to re-register for this offer.

For full terms and conditions of the program, see Program Terms.

Bookings are also subject to American Express Travel Terms and Conditions. To view these please visit americanexpress.ca/termsandconditions.