Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

AmEx SPG welcome bonus 25000 points

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2018 6:26 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
2085 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Since I haven't received any sign-up bonus, as detailed earlier in the thread, I wrote to CS and received the below. Has anyone successfully cancelled the new card and received the annual fee back?

Upon checking, I see that you previously had a Starwood Card which was cancelled.

We are happy that you enjoyed the Card and have decided to come back to American Express but unfortunately, because you have previously held this product, you are not eligible to receive another welcome offer.

If you visit the link below and view the footnotes, the first point in footnotes mentions that the offer is applicable only to first time Starwood Card Members:

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... CreditCard

If you didn't have a Starwood Card previously, you would have automatically received the bonus.

We would've gladly issued the points to you manually if it was possible but it's an automated process and no manual intervention is possible. I hope you understand the system constraint here.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
My wife just got spg welcome points by making 1500 in purchases. We need to cancel one travel purchase, equaling about $350, which will bring her down to about 1350 in purchases. I am curious if they will clawback the points from the SPG account and then give back when she reaches 1500 again?
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
2085 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Still looking for insights :)
crukkh wrote: Since I haven't received any sign-up bonus, as detailed earlier in the thread, I wrote to CS and received the below. Has anyone successfully cancelled the new card and received the annual fee back?

Upon checking, I see that you previously had a Starwood Card which was cancelled.

We are happy that you enjoyed the Card and have decided to come back to American Express but unfortunately, because you have previously held this product, you are not eligible to receive another welcome offer.

If you visit the link below and view the footnotes, the first point in footnotes mentions that the offer is applicable only to first time Starwood Card Members:

If you didn't have a Starwood Card previously, you would have automatically received the bonus.

We would've gladly issued the points to you manually if it was possible but it's an automated process and no manual intervention is possible. I hope you understand the system constraint here.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1560 posts
552 upvotes
Burnaby
crukkh wrote: Still looking for insights :)
They boxed you in. Don't know if what they're saying is true or not, but is plausible. If you can prove you haven't had the card, I would start the dialog there.
I'm sure AMEX has anti-churning methods such as previous cards past, also would show up on an Equifax/TU credit pull.
Good luck
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1550 posts
1208 upvotes
Toronto
crukkh wrote: Since I haven't received any sign-up bonus, as detailed earlier in the thread, I wrote to CS and received the below. Has anyone successfully cancelled the new card and received the annual fee back?

I thought someone had mentioned earlier on that if you had the card within the last little while (i think it was 4-5 years ago) that it could be a problem.
I also didnt see what they were referring to in the footnotes.
Aug 28, 2011
24 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
i just received this card today. i have 2 questions
1 some of you were saying amex has decent insurance coverage, how is it comparable to cibc aeroplan infinite priviledge card?
2 some of you mentioned buying gift cards/paying bills through paytm, any other ways to spend the 1500 within 3 months? i had amex gold before i cancelled it because so many merchants were refusing amex card in stores,,
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1418 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
For the supplemental card, is it necessary to make a purchase on it before getting the 1000 points or is the act of getting one sufficient?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1676 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
I have been getting a lot of points on my SPG personal card statements but nothing shows up on my SPG account. Do I need to call AMEX to move these over?

All my SPG Business points showed up on my SPG account and I got that card 1 month after my SPG personal.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1752 posts
742 upvotes
Windsor
jerryhung wrote: ???
It's 5K per referral now (down from 10K)
Thanku... Better than nothing for free
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1389 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
Akaz1976 wrote: I just got this card. How do I link this card to my SPG account which I already had?
Did you put your SPG number on the application?

If not, you'll have to call in to get the associated SPG number on your card changed to the one you already have.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
AEmgee wrote: For the supplemental card, is it necessary to make a purchase on it before getting the 1000 points or is the act of getting one sufficient?
Would like to know the same thing as 1K supp points have not arrived after over 1 month.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
1174 posts
170 upvotes
This thread has been more than helpful, thanks to OP for posting!

I signed up for this card and I got it today.. I'm kind of in a rush to get these points to book a hotel, had a few questions, hopefully someone can help.

1. I'll be putting my flights on this credit card, can I buy some gift cards to make up the difference of $1500?
2. If i get the SPG points 1-2 days after the statement date, can I ask the CC company to move up my Statement date (to for example, October 15th) so that I get the points in my account faster? Or will I not expect my first statement to Nov/Dec?
3. To my understanding, if i do not have an SPG account already?

Thanks.
Oct 4, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Hi,

what needs to be done to refer the SPG to your spouse ?
Do you need to keep your card active until your spouse meet the minimum $1,500 ? When can you cancel yours to not pay2nd year fee ?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
minimalist wrote: Would like to know the same thing as 1K supp points have not arrived after over 1 month.
As far as i know and read thru the T&C, could not find that clause.
Basically if you activate/register your card then you are good to go.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
mkannuri wrote: As far as i know and read thru the T&C, could not find that clause.
Basically if you activate/register your card then you are good to go.
Thanks. It seems like Amex is always keeping me waiting for points! 8-10 weeks, yada, yada, yada....
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)