• Mar 27th, 2024 10:04 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Sorry guys I'm sure this was answered already, but probably a good while back in the thread and I can't seem to find it.

My understanding is that Cobalt will get a $30k annual spend cap on the 5x (?). Will that $30k also include the 2x earn? Will the 2x be capped at all?

Just thinking if the 2x is part of the $30k cap, Cobalt cardholders shouldn't use the card on the 2x UNLESS they have no intention of hitting the $30k in 5x categories. If the 2x is uncapped, then no reason not to use Cobalt in the 2x. Sure, some cards earn 3+x/% in Cobalt's 2x categories, but the opportunity cost would be to likely carry another AF card, probably minimal or trivial incremental net gain, etc. 2x at >1cpp makes Cobalt still a good deal on the 2x, but that all depends on how the accelorator spend cap will be imposed effective August.

Anyone can chime on this?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7371 posts
9174 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote: Sorry guys I'm sure this was answered already, but probably a good while back in the thread and I can't seem to find it.

My understanding is that Cobalt will get a $30k annual spend cap on the 5x (?). Will that $30k also include the 2x earn? Will the 2x be capped at all?

Just thinking if the 2x is part of the $30k cap, Cobalt cardholders shouldn't use the card on the 2x UNLESS they have no intention of hitting the $30k in 5x categories. If the 2x is uncapped, then no reason not to use Cobalt in the 2x. Sure, some cards earn 3+x/% in Cobalt's 2x categories, but the opportunity cost would be to likely carry another AF card, probably minimal or trivial incremental net gain, etc. 2x at >1cpp makes Cobalt still a good deal on the 2x, but that all depends on how the accelorator spend cap will be imposed effective August.

Anyone can chime on this?
The $30k limit is only for the 5x multiplier. No limit on the 2x multiplier.
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
My first year with the Cobalt is up. I'm considering cancelling it and sign up again through Perkopolis. Are there DPs of getting the sign up bonus the second time?
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Nov 1, 2010
252 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
hdub8817 wrote: My first year with the Cobalt is up. I'm considering cancelling it and sign up again through Perkopolis. Are there DPs of getting the sign up bonus the second time?
None that I can recall. Card's too new with a 1 year holding to get full WB. Be the DP we all want to see Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Aug 11, 2016
343 posts
325 upvotes
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, are we allowed to buy giftcards at 5x stores to use at other stores and get 5x in additional places?
Dec 12, 2005
948 posts
173 upvotes
The 905
Yes, people do it so often they're capping the 5X spend at $30K per account
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
MyNameIsDan wrote: None that I can recall. Card's too new with a 1 year holding to get full WB. Be the DP we all want to see Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I guess if I sign up and not get the bonus, I'm not losing anything since I plan to keep the card anyways.
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Mar 12, 2018
53 posts
68 upvotes
cmacc16 wrote: Is it better to book flights using AMEX travel vs directly from airline (or google flights) then redeem with points?
Planning to go to YYZ in August (from YWG)

Sorry the search function kinda sucks..
I would recommend going through Amex travel directly and look at their fixed flight program before looking anywhere else. I got $700 for 40000 points. Going through anyone else will get you a max return of $10 for 1000 points.

https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/ ... ravel.html
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1537 posts
512 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
hdub8817 wrote: My first year with the Cobalt is up. I'm considering cancelling it and sign up again through Perkopolis. Are there DPs of getting the sign up bonus the second time?
MyNameIsDan wrote: None that I can recall. Card's too new with a 1 year holding to get full WB. Be the DP we all want to see Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
There are two or three that I see reading of. They got it the second time around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada ... ta_points/
Sep 3, 2018
273 posts
135 upvotes
Jkl012 wrote: I would recommend going through Amex travel directly and look at their fixed flight program before looking anywhere else. I got $700 for 40000 points. Going through anyone else will get you a max return of $10 for 1000 points.

https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/ ... ravel.html
Yes, depends where you're going. When I was booking a flight to Dubai it was cheaper to book and then redeem points for statement credit than going the fixed points route, even with the MR/Aeroplan option (I had 90K MR points). Sometimes that taxes are so insane that your points become worthless. My flight was $950 on Emirates, it would have cost 100K points on fixed points plus an absurd amount of tax (about $600 additional), or 80K points plus an absurd amount of tax again on Aeroplan. I just redeemed the flight for 95K points all in.

However I just booked a flight to Florida on 40K points + $160 in taxes using the fixed points. It's worth $818 on Air Canada so that's a pretty good deal.
Apr 2, 2019
617 posts
523 upvotes
Dogsville
JimPaoloJ20612 wrote: However I just booked a flight to Florida on 40K points + $160 in taxes using the fixed points. It's worth $818 on Air Canada so that's a pretty good deal.
From what I can see the best value is to book a travel to California without stops - normally a flight like that would cost north of $800 but with the Fixed Travel option you get it for 40K points + ~100-150 bucks in tax. A flight to Miami though costs around CAD 550 cash and redeeming it for 40K fixed points +tax is not worth it. And travels outside of N.A. for fixed points don't seem to be the best deal either because of ridiculous taxes (for the most part).

P.S. All the above is in relation to Toronto. Forgot to mention that.
Last edited by hotsince83 on May 9th, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
What you guys don't take into account are the frequent pricing mistakes, they make using points almost always a losing proposition.

I saw earlier this year flights from Montreal to Seattle for $280 each with multiple dates available, crazy good price.

For this reason I think it's better to avoid Fixed Travel entirely.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5132 posts
4926 upvotes
hotsince83 wrote: From what I can see the best value is to book a travel to California without stops - normally a flight like that would cost north of $800 but with the Fixed Travel option you get it for 40K points + ~100-150 bucks in tax. A flight to Miami though costs around CAD 550 cash and redeeming it for 40K fixed points +tax is not worth it. And travels outside of N.A. for fixed points don't seem to be the best deal either because of ridiculous taxes (for the most part).
I guess it depends where your departure city is for those non-stop flights and also the time of year for travel. The poster said he booked a flight, but we don't know when. Non-stop flights from either Toronto or Montreal to the above two states are a lot cheaper than the above fares in June.
Apr 2, 2019
617 posts
523 upvotes
Dogsville
Poutinesauce wrote: What you guys don't take into account are the frequent pricing mistakes, they make using points almost always a losing proposition.

I saw earlier this year flights from Montreal to Seattle for $280 each with multiple dates available, crazy good price.

Mistakes where exactly? On Amex travel portal?
-
Sep 3, 2018
273 posts
135 upvotes
Stryker wrote: I guess it depends where your departure city is for those non-stop flights and also the time of year for travel. The poster said he booked a flight, but we don't know when. Non-stop flights from either Toronto or Montreal to the above two states are a lot cheaper than the above fares in June.
The flight to Florida is next week (Victoria Day weekend) - it's normally cheaper than $800 and I wouldn't typically book something so overpriced but I have to do something for Victoria Day other than stay in Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
Poutinesauce wrote: What you guys don't take into account are the frequent pricing mistakes, they make using points almost always a losing proposition.

I suppose if you are going to plan your trips around "pricing mistakes" you are able to find then you can forget about the fixed travel program. For those of us who need to book a flight based on a schedule, maybe we shouldn't
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5132 posts
4926 upvotes
It's not only pricing mistakes, but just generally cheaper fares than normal. The vast majority posted on the blogs will show in economy, but for those who want a better seat (premium economy) or higher class of service (business) on a long haul flight, you're probably going to have to look for them yourself.
Jun 15, 2008
33 posts
12 upvotes
Datapoint for people who don’t think their credit scores are high enough. I applied for the Cobalt at the end of April with a Transunion score of <650 and a $5X,XXX income. After an IA for the gold earlier in the same day (1st Amex application), I received a 10 day review message. Fraud department called me and approved me 2 days later for a CL of $1K. No hard pull which surprised me. Still waiting for it to arrive (6 business days so far).
Sep 3, 2018
273 posts
135 upvotes
sadd wrote: Datapoint for people who don’t think their credit scores are high enough. I applied for the Cobalt at the end of April with a Transunion score of <650 and a $5X,XXX income. After an IA for the gold earlier in the same day (1st Amex application), I received a 10 day review message. Fraud department called me and approved me 2 days later for a CL of $1K. No hard pull which surprised me. Still waiting for it to arrive (6 business days so far).
AMEX is one of the FIs who aren’t too obsessed with credit scores. The Gold was one of my very first cards in Canada with a 3 month credit file. Just establish a payment history with them and you’re Gucci!
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
729 upvotes
JimPaoloJ20612 wrote: AMEX is one of the FIs who aren’t too obsessed with credit scores. The Gold was one of my very first cards in Canada with a 3 month credit file. Just establish a payment history with them and you’re Gucci!
I imagine AMEX uses an internal algorithm, using the data from the credit bureaus.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)