None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1920 posts
416 upvotes
Surrey

American vs Canadian Milk?

Friend of mine told me that it is cheaper to buy milk from US then here in Canada. I checked the prices in BC Canada they range from $4.89 or above whereas in US prices are around $1.99 to max $4.00.

I bought couples of times from different stores such as Safeway, Cost cutter, and Edaleen dairy. These are close to border in BC. Safeway changed their brand to Glen something which is not good as used to be. Edleen dairy I think has better milk then others I tried. Cost cutter is worst which taste like liquid soap.

I was talking to my neighbor he suggested it is not safe to buy milk from US as they inject rBGH to dairy cows to increase milk production. Which is bad if you search online and I didn't know that Canada banned American milk so why we are still allowed to purchase and import?? He said not to trust “NO rBGH” sign since we don't know the source it is coming from.

My question is do you buy milk from US if so which brand or store you purchase from? I don't buy a lot but with gas prices I usually buy milk and dairy products as well.

Is is really that bad? Sorry for my English.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Share:
72 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5479 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
I heard Canadian milk is more expensive because the instructions need to be in english and french
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6352 posts
190 upvotes
Canadian milk is so expensive due to milk quotas. Not to turn this into a political thread but you can thank the Canadian government for the high prices. American farmers do not have the same restrictions and quotas therefore the prices are lower.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38138 posts
933 upvotes
Richmond Hill
deltone wrote:
Mar 20th, 2011 11:42 pm
Canadian milk is so expensive due to milk quotas. Not to turn this into a political thread but you can thank the Canadian government for the high prices. American farmers do not have the same restrictions and quotas therefore the prices are lower.

Don't they also have government subsidies?

Americans don't have bagged milk.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
I just went to safeway's website and the cheapest milk is $3.09 per gallon for skim. That's just a dollar less then we have here. Is it cheaper somewhere else in the states?.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Jon Lai wrote:
Mar 20th, 2011 11:49 pm
Don't they also have government subsidies?

Americans don't have bagged milk.

they have bagged milk in wisconsin, i heard.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Mar 20th, 2011 11:59 pm
I just went to safeway's website and the cheapest milk is $3.09 per gallon for skim. That's just a dollar less then we have here. Is it cheaper somewhere else in the states?.

Milk is consistently at around $2.59-2.89 per galon here in the Bay Area when grocers have their half-sales, including Safeway. Though for Safeway, they often require people to buy 2 to get the price at $2.69
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We pay $1.78 a gallon for 1% at Wegmans in Niagara Falls, NY. Regular price is $2.89 then the shoppers club card gives an instant discount of $1.11 per gallon for the net $1.78/gallon price.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
I just know that the milk in America (at least in Texas) is in gallon jugs and we have bagged milk here.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5657 posts
206 upvotes
biee wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 12:36 am
I just know that the milk in America (at least in Texas) is in gallon jugs and we have bagged milk here.

Bagged milk is very much an ON phenomenon.

They don't have bagged milk in many other places in Canada.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13002 posts
1120 upvotes
bagged milk is normal > :(
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
9 upvotes
biee wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 12:36 am

Haven't seen any bagged milk in Calgary for many years (used to have a plastic jug that would hold a 1 liter bag).

All milk sold here is in either a waxed cardboard carton or a plastic jug.

A .10 or .25 deposit is required (.25 for 2 liter or more) and you have to wash empty containers with soap so they don't start to smell (can return to bottle depot to get your deposit back).

Plastic jugs cost more and also have a .06 non-refundable Recycling fee.

I liked milk in glass bottles, but haven't seen any in a long time.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 1:16 am
bagged milk is normal > :(

Lol, sure it's normal.

If you ask me what I prefer, I would prefer the gallon jugs...

It's just more convenient haha :razz:
× < >