Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] 25% bonus transfer to British Airways

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2016 11:14 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7718 posts
1288 upvotes
Burnaby

[American Express] 25% bonus transfer to British Airways

Expiry:
March 28, 2016
More offers from American Express
Shocked to see the bonus return with such crappy exchange rates to USD and GBP

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.ca/v ... rticipants

SPECIAL OFFER
From January 12, 2016 until March 28, 2016, get 25% more Avios when you transfer your Membership Rewards® points to Avios.

For example:
• 1,000 Membership Rewards points = 1,250 Avios
• 30,000 Membership Rewards points = 37,500 Avios
• 50,000 Membership Rewards points = 62,500 Avios

History:

avion-american-express-other-partners-a ... y-1138250/

The last times from Amex:

Jun 26 to Sep 30 2015 (Amex 1.25x)
Mar 1 to Mar 31 2013 (American Express 1.5x)
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2001
5178 posts
419 upvotes
Thanks OP. Do the Avios show up instantly?

In general, is it better to work with Aeroplan or Avios when redeeming for North American flights?
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
216 upvotes
EDMONTON
Arrow wrote: Thanks OP. Do the Avios show up instantly?

In general, is it better to work with Aeroplan or Avios when redeeming for North American flights?
I've done the transfer a couple of times, it took 2 business days IIRC. Have yet to redeem. Typically people say they are useful for direct flights since it is distance based. The taxes are usually less than Aeroplan as well if you fly with a partner like American instead of BA.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 4, 2003
4743 posts
116 upvotes
Oakville
We might never see the 50% bonus again.
Newbie
Feb 2, 2012
78 posts
16 upvotes
Burnaby
Avios are good for direct non-stop flights, especially short haul. Within North America it's American Airlines, Alaskan and Cathay Pacific (YVR-JFK). For connecting or long distance flights, Aeroplan is usually better.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2738 posts
1097 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Quite tempting. Surprised to see it back again so fast.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
51731 posts
16240 upvotes
For YYZ to HKG and anything after that on CX, is it better to go with the devaluated Avios?

For YYZ to TPE, , is it better to go with the devaluated Aeroplan?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
22755 posts
4572 upvotes
where I belong
alanbrenton wrote: For YYZ to HKG and anything after that on CX, is it better to go with the devaluated Avios?

For YYZ to TPE, , is it better to go with the devaluated Aeroplan?
Only you can decide
they're about equally valued IMO

YYZ-HKG is I think 35K one-way Avios
YYZ-TPE is 37.5K one-way Aeroplan

problem is finding space

amex-membership-rewards-25-transfer-bon ... a-1759803/

My data points from 2015, YQ may be cheaper now
YYZ-HKG in CX Y = 35000 Avios + $84
HKG-YYZ = 35000+$51 KHH/TPE-HKG in CX/KA Y = 9000 RT + $90 CAD
YYZ-HKG-TPE in CX Y = 39500 Avios + $90
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
51731 posts
16240 upvotes
Yeah, that's what I read on your 25% Avios Bonus offer thread -- that it's hard to get anything on CX. :)
Newbie
Aug 14, 2007
58 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
Good luck finding any seats on any destinations you decide to fly to. I did that mistake when RBC had the same promotion, should have stuck with my Avion points. I don't know if it has changed, they only have limited seats for each flight and obviously they were always filled up months ahead and sometimes up to one year. Even if they give you more points everything you try to reserve with them is much more expensive.
If your credit card already have flying or travelling privileges stick with it. Sorry that was my experience after converting my 200 000 RBC points for that promotion still regretting today.
Newbie
Jun 12, 2014
68 posts
26 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
neil1 wrote: Good luck finding any seats on any destinations you decide to fly to. I did that mistake when RBC had the same promotion, should have stuck with my Avion points. I don't know if it has changed, they only have limited seats for each flight and obviously they were always filled up months ahead and sometimes up to one year. Even if they give you more points everything you try to reserve with them is much more expensive.
If your credit card already have flying or travelling privileges stick with it. Sorry that was my experience after converting my 200 000 RBC points for that promotion still regretting today.
i was very reluctant to converting my RBC points because of limitation of seats
Newbie
Mar 27, 2013
40 posts
13 upvotes
It is difficult finding flights with Avios however it is great for booking hotels and car rentals with the points.

Top