• Feb 16th, 2016 11:14 am
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1339 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bizee-bee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 9:19 pm
Did I read that right? 20,000 pts round trip/person for business class flights to MIA, FLL, ORD? I ask because I'm not familiar with Avios.
sorry, meant to write that it is 20000 per person economy with Avios
Dec 3, 2013
433 posts
126 upvotes
After transferring to Avios last fall and just using 140000 pts for various trips some observations (some obvious stuff but just to recap because it helped me):

Out of Vancouver or Seattle Avios is great principally because availability on Alaskan is so good. You have to call to book and the process is slow but any Alaskan seat that is offered direct at base mileage cost you can get thru Avios. And that covers a lot.

Availability on American comes and goes. You can check a flight weekly and see availability go up and down.

Avios phone agents can be slow and make frequent mistakes. Check your bookings and bills.

Avios also has reduced costs for certain cross border pairs like yvr-lax for 15k rt (distance should make it 25k). And their 15k zone out of bli and sea covers las (from BLI when Alaskan has the seasonal direct flights) and California..

Started this project last summer after reading on here about the transfer bonus. 0 Amex to 140k avios in 7 months=good deal. Ty all who shared their info!
Aug 10, 2005
314 posts
27 upvotes
Thornhill
dotsandpixels wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 7:02 pm
I'm sitting on approx. 50000 Amex MR and would like to take family to Florida preferably this summer. What is the best program to convert points to, Aeroplan or Avios in general? Now that there is a 25% bonus with Avios, would this be a better option?

Hate the recent points hike with BA for Toronto to NY, what was 9000 round trip is now 14000! At least the Toronto to Florida route hasn't increased in points, yet.
I find Aeroplan has more seats and direct flights from Toronto to Miami. Round trip is 25,000 AE points and about $120 in fees. I had no issue redeeming multiple times for 6 tickets.

With Avois you will be using American and will need to connect in one if their hubs and as a result may be running the risk of missed connection (which happened to us a few times). Also, many of their planes do not have an entertainment system
Mar 8, 2004
815 posts
98 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 7:12 am
For YYZ to HKG and anything after that on CX, is it better to go with the devaluated Avios?

For YYZ to TPE, , is it better to go with the devaluated Aeroplan?
I believe if you're booking Econ tix on CX, the points needed are the same as before the devaluation (35,000 avios one way). The devaluation hits hard only on Premium Econ (52,500 avios to 70,000 avios) and Business (70,000 avios to 105,000 avios). Although there is a off peak price in the Avios system, but if you're booking partner airline, you're always paying peak pricing.

So with the 1.25 bonus to convert to Avios but not for Aeroplan, I believe Avios will be better deal, provided you can find a seat in Econ.

Glad that I am able to use up my Avios just before the devaluation last year to book 4 Business tix to HK for Xmas, 560,000 Avios vs. 840,000 Avios...