Ongoing Deal Discussion

Amex Aeroplan Plus Card - Up to 25K AP Miles and $40 Rebate (No more FYF)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2015 10:08 am
Nov 26, 2003
628 posts
54 upvotes
Halifax
cashinstinct wrote:
Mar 4th, 2014 9:19 am
50k for 2 people or 1?

It shows you the total points cost
Just one unfortunately
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
Gentile wrote:
Mar 4th, 2014 9:12 am
Crap, shows as 50k on Aeroplan.
You may need to call this in.

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

So if you are flying YEG-YUL, stop, YUL-YHZ, then YHZ-YEG, this should be entirely legal.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Nov 26, 2003
628 posts
54 upvotes
Halifax
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Mar 4th, 2014 10:17 am
You may need to call this in.

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

So if you are flying YEG-YUL, stop, YUL-YHZ, then YHZ-YEG, this should be entirely legal.
You're right. They give an example very similar to my itinerary.
https://www4.aeroplan.com/adr/Popup.do? ... neraryHelp
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1227 posts
148 upvotes
Kanata
I was told that the 30k pts promo will end by March 31, so get your friends/family onboard while you can!

Boy just made over 100k pts over the past couple of months. 30k from amex AP + 30k from referrals + 15k from TD AP visa + 20k from TD chequing + 20k from CIBC aerogold visa!! am I too greedy getting 3 credit cards in a short period?! :-)
Mar 4, 2014
2 posts
How do I apply for the AE Aeroplan Plus card to ensure that I get the 30,000 points? I only see 20,000 on the AW site.
Oct 21, 2007
367 posts
40 upvotes
Halifax
marklin wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 8:37 am
...am I too greedy getting 3 credit cards in a short period?! :-)
I did the same sort of thing, amex gold, amex gold aeroplan, TD aeroplan visa, CIBC Infinite, then my wife got the AMEX aeroplan, and she is applying for the amex gold today, and we each made a referral bonus between us, all going to the same aeroplan account. Racked up close to 200k points. :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
marklin wrote:
I was told that the 30k pts promo will end by March 31, so get your friends/family onboard while you can!

Boy just made over 100k pts over the past couple of months. 30k from amex AP + 30k from referrals + 15k from TD AP visa + 20k from TD chequing + 20k from CIBC aerogold visa!! am I too greedy getting 3 credit cards in a short period?! :-)
ti3n1 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 8:42 am
Who told you it was ending?
+1, details pls.
Sep 8, 2007
297 posts
77 upvotes
Ontario
ti3n1 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 8:42 am
Who told you it was ending?
marklin wrote:
The Aeroplan site says the bonus counts for distinction until April 1st so I would think that they plan to keep the bonus until then (only 1 day more) ... if the points are going away that's not great, especially after the change to the Amex Business Gold Rewards this week ... also interested in the source for this.
http://www4.aeroplan.com/promotions/pro ... p3577_Amex
Amex Aeroplan - Amex Gold - Chase Marriott - TD - CIBC - BMO - MBNA card holder and counting!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1227 posts
148 upvotes
Kanata
I mean they will revert back to the regular 20k pts by April 1 for new application, my friend was told by an Amex rep.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3735 posts
721 upvotes
Winnipeg
marklin wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 10:25 am
I mean they will revert back to the regular 20k pts by April 1 for new application, my friend was told by an Amex rep.
You never know, they could move to the same type of no incentive referral program like they did with the Gold Rewards card where the applicant has no incentive to use a referral link (25k pts whether or not you use a referral link)

I could see them phasing out the referral program this way. You gotta believe they can't be too happy with the amount of churning these cards have.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
coleworld wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 11:45 am
You never know, they could move to the same type of no incentive referral program like they did with the Gold Rewards card where the applicant has no incentive to use a referral link (25k pts whether or not you use a referral link)

I could see them phasing out the referral program this way. You gotta believe they can't be too happy with the amount of churning these cards have.
Referral has nothing to do with churning, though. I was churning way before the referrals started, and I will continue after, so long as the first year is free.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3735 posts
721 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 11:51 am
Referral has nothing to do with churning, though. I was churning way before the referrals started, and I will continue after, so long as the first year is free.
That's true, as long as FYF. With the business card changing to no-FYF who knows what's next for changes.
Sep 8, 2007
297 posts
77 upvotes
Ontario
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Mar 5th, 2014 11:51 am
Referrals are just another form of advertizing ... if they think it's more cost effective than other forms then they will likely continue them. They have bean counters crunching big data to analyze the cost-benefit of every ad campaign.

The credit card issuers need to attract customers so there will always be need of some bonus and/or free year even if they rotate which cards get it. To drive uptake they need to create urgency by time limiting programs (either an expiry date or a possibility of suddenly pulling a bonus) so you don't postpone.

Limiting how long you need to wait for sign up bonuses is they way they control churning.
Amex Aeroplan - Amex Gold - Chase Marriott - TD - CIBC - BMO - MBNA card holder and counting!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)