Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] AMEX AirMiles Platinum Credit Card!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2008 8:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3889 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto

[American Express] AMEX AirMiles Platinum Credit Card!!!

More offers from American Express
Great deal for hardcore airmiles collectors. Just stumbled on this site after reading a comment on the "best air miles deals" blog. You get a bonus 250 air miles upon first use!

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cd ... 395,00.asp

Some specs:

1 airmile for every $10 spent at an airmiles sponsor
1 airmile for every $15 spent at non-airmiles stores
$50 fee (as oppposed to mastercards $90 fee)
free supplementary card (as opposed to mastercards $15 annual fee)
car rental coverage, travel insurance, purchase protection and front of line

I know other cards may be better (i.e. cashback, aeroplan for frequent fliers) but this is a pretty sweet deal IMO. I wonder when this card launched because I've never heard anything about it.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1341 posts
41 upvotes
I Don't see the Gold their anymore, I wonder if this is areplacement? I currently have the gold.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
mjl_toronto wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 3:43 pm
Great deal for hardcore airmiles collectors. Just stumbled on this site after reading a comment on the "best air miles deals" blog. You get a bonus 250 air miles upon first use!

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cd ... 395,00.asp

Some specs:

1 airmile for every $10 spent at an airmiles sponsor
1 airmile for every $15 spent at non-airmiles stores
$50 fee (as oppposed to mastercards $90 fee)
free supplementary card (as opposed to mastercards $15 annual fee)
car rental coverage, travel insurance, purchase protection and front of line

I know other cards may be better (i.e. cashback, aeroplan for frequent fliers) but this is a pretty sweet deal IMO. I wonder when this card launched because I've never heard anything about it.
The biggest deal about the Mastercard though is not the 1/15 AM option, it is that you can fly anywhere westjet flys for 1600 AM only. This is 50% savings in AM on average.

It is basically like saying instead of getting 1/$15 with the Mastercard, you get 1/$8.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3889 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 3:52 pm
The biggest deal about the Mastercard though is not the 1/15 AM option, it is that you can fly anywhere westjet flys for 1600 AM only. This is 50% savings in AM on average.

It is basically like saying instead of getting 1/$15 with the Mastercard, you get 1/$8.

I agree, but look at this article:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... hreat.aspx

"Finally, Mr. Newman said the carrier may consider launching its own loyalty program after its current agreement with Air Miles and Mosaik ends at the end of 2008."

If Westjet leaves, I'm pretty sure they won't offer the same deal. That scews all Mosaik cardholders and I know there are a lot!

Makes the AMEX platinum look even better now.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
4940 posts
229 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 3:52 pm

Brunes, you forgot to add that MC can be used at Tim's :) Oh wait I see your sig now.....

Don't worry that happened to em too, I bring my mug all the time.
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / ZenBanx member
Loving the Zoomer Wireless/Cityfone Mobile Service 2 lines $36 Plan w. double promo (Rogers network)
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
antman59 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 3:48 pm
I Don't see the Gold their anymore, I wonder if this is areplacement? I currently have the gold.
they have not posted the Gold Cashback card on their website for awhile, but it's still available. i just applied for it and was approved this week.
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
Jul 24, 2007
94 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
z_squared wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 6:01 pm
they have not posted the Gold Cashback card on their website for awhile, but it's still available. i just applied for it and was approved this week.
Same here. Just applied last weekend. Haven't received my card yet either. I wonder if they'll just switch us to the Platinum instead of the gold? Seems like the price is the same, and the benefits are roughly the same.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18557 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal
z_squared wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 6:01 pm
He was talking about the gold airmiles card. Apparently the new Platinum one has taken the place of the gold one. I think existing cardholders who have the AM Gold will be converted to AM Platinum.

The one you're talking about is the Amex 2% cash back gold card which can only be obtained by request only, calling Amex, and is NOT an air miles card. Different cards though.
Nov 26, 2003
270 posts
6 upvotes
North York
Confirmed, received letter from American Express.

The American Express Air Miles Gold Credit Card is being Upgraded to the New American Express Air Miles Platinum Credit Card on February 11, 2008....

Continue using your current Card until your new Platinum Credit card arrives.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
mjl_toronto wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 3:59 pm
I agree, but look at this article:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... hreat.aspx

"Finally, Mr. Newman said the carrier may consider launching its own loyalty program after its current agreement with Air Miles and Mosaik ends at the end of 2008."

If Westjet leaves, I'm pretty sure they won't offer the same deal. That scews all Mosaik cardholders and I know there are a lot!

Makes the AMEX platinum look even better now.
Well that would suck.

I guess the one good thing though is, because of how Mosaik works with it's flexable rewards, you can cancel your "gold level" at any time and get a refund for the unused portion of that year's annual fee.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Aug 19, 2005
192 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
any existing gold card members receive the new platinum replacement????

i received the letter indicating the upgrade as of february 11th but not gotten the card yet. additionally, my online account indicates that my card has a new number....

haven't tried using my gold card since feb 11th...
Dec 4, 2004
178 posts
3 upvotes
Kitchener
marcopolo85 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2008 4:42 pm
Would be good if there wasnt an annual fee
I agree. In fact, when I decided to downgrade to just a normal Amex card (no fee) last year, they put me through to customer retention and offered me a "free" (offset) $50 gift card for Chapters or a number of restaurants I don't recall (I think one was The Keg). I selected the Chapters gift card.

Mind you, I waited and waited for the card and finally contacted them again to remind them of the wonderful offer they had made and was wondering why they did not follow through. The gift card came within a week.
Feb 29, 2008
46 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the regular Air Miles American Express card and I got a thing in the mail that started off "Congratulations! You are one of the first American Express AIR MILES Credit Cardmembers to be offered an innovative and exciting new way to earn AIR MILES reward miles faster than ever before from American Express -- with this new American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card..."

then it goes on to say "Upgrade your Card today. You're already pre-approved so simply complete and return the enclosed application to get your new Card"

So will this count as a hit against my credit rating, since it's just an upgrade?

Furthermore, is this really a good deal for $50 a year? Doesn't really sound as special as the other Platinum cards that Amex has!

Is the by-request-only Gold card with up to 2% Cash rebate better?
× < >