• Jan 24th, 2018 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
3026 posts
2227 upvotes
Calgary
MHC111688 wrote: You can't refer to Personal Gold from anything except Cobalt and Personal Gold, so that 25K referral is invalid. This has been the case for about half a year now. Still means 270K points at the end of the day though.
Thanks for the reminder! Corrected my post
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
superangrypenguin wrote: Wow. Who appointed you moral police? This is the RFD forum. If they want to close the loophole, so be it. Get off your royal high horse.
I’d rather be the moral police than a thief.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
coolintheshade wrote: I’d rather be the moral police than a thief.
So I'm going to call AMEX right now and inform them about this loophole, as well as

1) Self referrals
2) The AMEX travel credit scheme
3) etc etc.

Would that appease you? You must be squeaky clean yourself then, eh? Again, just because I know something works doesn't mean I've done it (I haven't), but then again, you must still be a virgin to hacking life.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
coolintheshade wrote: I’d rather be the moral police than a thief.
Pretty sure everyone who churns is not exactly morally sound..
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
shylok wrote: Pretty sure everyone who churns is not exactly morally sound..
Yup. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
superangrypenguin wrote: Yup. Hypocrisy at its finest.
I've considered churning I just don't want to split expenses into cards that I won't be keeping.. Or not have any insurance on those purchases.. Seems risky and somewhat potentially problematic if you get banned for life.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Legitimately earning the points, then cancelling the card afterwards, is TOTALLY different than running a scam to get the points, refunding the purchases that EARNED the bonus points, and cancelling quickly before they can get the points back.
Real churners earn their sign up bonuses legitimately.
What this guy IS doing (although he claims not to) is going to ruin it for people that earn the sign up bonus legitimately.
Last edited by coolintheshade on Jan 24th, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
superangrypenguin wrote: Yup. Hypocrisy at its finest.
No hypocrisy here. See post above.
You call what you're doing churning?
You're stealing. There's a difference.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5438 posts
3907 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sure there are churners who just swim with the fishes, and then there others who defecate and urinate in the pool they swim - aka bait, refund and cancel
Last edited by Elfwood on Jan 24th, 2018 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
shylok wrote: I've considered churning I just don't want to split expenses into cards that I won't be keeping.. Or not have any insurance on those purchases.. Seems risky and somewhat potentially problematic if you get banned for life.
My experience with churning is that the lenders start offering higher limits, not banning you :)
Whenever amex/td asks why I need more cards, I let them know I'm trying to keep some expenses separate. They then approve me.

As for stealing - let's not group everyone in one bucket, all of these lenders have the option to change their terms however they see fit. They want our business, we spend lots of money generally.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
demanche wrote: As for stealing - let's not group everyone in one bucket, all of these lenders have the option to change their terms however they see fit. They want our business, we spend lots of money generally.
Oh, so you're all for scamming a bank out of points that you don't deserve? Is that gratifying?
So you spend lots of money on their card, somehow that gives you the right to play dirty pool to get points that you wouldn't have otherwise qualified for?
The points are predicated on a minimum spend.
If you don't make the minimum spend, you get nothing.
If you can't make the minimum spend, don't apply for the card.
Simple stuff.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't expect to win this argument. But look at the flip side. You're a business. You offer promotions as a way to attract customers and hope to retain them.

Churning is like being proud of going to Costco every day for lunch with Tupperware.. You can do it.. But pretty sure it's morally questionable. You're taking advantage.

This same thing applies to alot of rfd stuff. So I'm not excluded. Just making a point, we all draw a line somewhere..
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
I'm not sure why there's even an argument?
If you apply for the card, keep it for the year and milk the lounge access etc. and cancel at the end of the year.

But if you can stomach a higher fee, I'd recommend the amex platinum - $699 fee but 60,000 points with a referral (you can self refer if you have a gold amex) and $400 in credits available (2018/2019 annual travel credits), plus some bonus offered scattered throughout the year.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
shylok wrote: I don't expect to win this argument. But look at the flip side. You're a business. You offer promotions as a way to attract customers and hope to retain them.

Churning is like being proud of going to Costco every day for lunch with Tupperware.. You can do it.. But pretty sure it's morally questionable. You're taking advantage.

This same thing applies to alot of rfd stuff. So I'm not excluded. Just making a point, we all draw a line somewhere..
Again you mention churning.
What is discussed in this thread is not churning.

Churning:
Apply for credit card.
Make minimum spend to earn the bonuses.
Receive the bonuses.
Spend the bonuses.
Cancel the card
Reapply in 6 months or?

Not churning:
Apply for credit card
Make minimum spend to earn the bonuses (knowing full well you're going to return after bonus is paid out)
Receive bonuses.
Spend bonuses.
Return the purchases that made you the bonuses.
Cancel the card immediately before you're forced to pay anything back.

See the difference?
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
coolintheshade wrote: No hypocrisy here. See post above.
You call what you're doing churning?
You're stealing. There's a difference.
Tell Lorraine I said hi. You guys are the worst for "stealing".
Don't be a cooch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)