Aug 24, 2016
4603 posts
3563 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
wra45mon wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 7:13 pm
There seems to be a 10% CB offer here
http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2017/11/si ... ycash.html
But no mention of $1000 statement credit.
The 10% only requires less spend to get the max of $300 cash back.
I don’t like that offer because you only get that 10% back on certain categories.
With the other applications, you’re getting the 5% back on all purchases. You aren’t limited to categories.
Also as you already acknowledge, you don’t get the extra $100 statement credit either, and no $50 GCR
Jan 5, 2018
207 posts
102 upvotes
Just applied and got approved for this card. Have a question I was hoping to get clarified.

There is a welcome promo of 5% for the first 6 months up to $250 cashback (i.e. $5000 spent). Does this $250 limit include the cashback earned at 1.25% as well? The wording in the footnotes seem to suggest no, but thought I'd double check.

"5% bonus earn rate applies for the first 6 months of Card membership, up to a maximum of $5,000 in purchases (equal to $250 cash back). If the bonus earn rate of 5% applies to a purchase, the 1.25% earn rate will not also apply to the same purchase"
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4947 posts
629 upvotes
Ottawa
fred125 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:52 pm
Just applied and got approved for this card. Have a question I was hoping to get clarified.

There is a welcome promo of 5% for the first 6 months up to $250 cashback (i.e. $5000 spent). Does this $250 limit include the cashback earned at 1.25% as well? The wording in the footnotes seem to suggest no, but thought I'd double check.

"5% bonus earn rate applies for the first 6 months of Card membership, up to a maximum of $5,000 in purchases (equal to $250 cash back). If the bonus earn rate of 5% applies to a purchase, the 1.25% earn rate will not also apply to the same purchase"
no ... the 5% applies to eligible purchases for the first 6 months up to $5000 and then 1.25% applies ...
Sep 24, 2013
649 posts
370 upvotes
Ontario
fred125 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:52 pm

5% of $5000 is $250 so the $5000 in purchases would only be for the specific 5% items plus 1.25% for the other items.(unlimited)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1477 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
My account shows cash back balance for posted transactions. First ever statement has been issued. How do I get the cash back as account credit? Clicking on "View Cash Back" takes me to the Cash Back Reinstatement page where it talks about how to reinstate cash back balance. I swear I did see a page with list of cash back transactions, that has not shown for the second time. This is likely due to new card to which a payment has never been made. Will see what happens when payment arrives.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4005 posts
1820 upvotes
max88 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:53 pm
My account shows cash back balance for posted transactions. First ever statement has been issued. How do I get the cash back as account credit? Clicking on "View Cash Back" takes me to the Cash Back Reinstatement page where it talks about how to reinstate cash back balance. I swear I did see a page with list of cash back transactions, that has not shown for the second time. This is likely due to new card to which a payment has never been made. Will see what happens when payment arrives.
Payout is once a year, and unless it's changed recently, for everyone they stop the cash back accrual some time in Aug, and you get it applied as a credit on the Sep statement.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1477 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
bizee-bee wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:18 pm
Payout is once a year, and unless it's changed recently, for everyone they stop the cash back accrual some time in Aug, and you get it applied as a credit on the Sep statement.
OK thanks. I don't intend to use this as main card. I think I will pay full balance by the upcoming due date, then keep the card for the time being and keep a note to spend some money equal to credit amount around August. And cancel.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6499 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So I called Amex trying to switch a dormant SimplyCash to the SC Preferred, and she told me that there were no offers to 'upgrade' on my account, so had to do a new application... (which I did from the web site, entered my existing login, etc. and it approved me).

Odd, isn't it? I wonder if that means it is also not possible to downgrade from the SC Preferred to the normal SC...
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4947 posts
629 upvotes
Ottawa
VivienM wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:34 pm
So I called Amex trying to switch a dormant SimplyCash to the SC Preferred, and she told me that there were no offers to 'upgrade' on my account, so had to do a new application... (which I did from the web site, entered my existing login, etc. and it approved me).

Odd, isn't it? I wonder if that means it is also not possible to downgrade from the SC Preferred to the normal SC...
that's how it works with some FI's ...

did you apply via GCR?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6499 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 7:39 pm
that's how it works with some FI's ...

did you apply via GCR?
Yes, but that's not consistent with what others have said about Amex... that being said, this card has probably had <$300 in purchases in over two years, so maybe that's why the upgrade option is not available.

I did try to apply by GCR. If it works that's an extra $150 I guess.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4947 posts
629 upvotes
Ottawa
VivienM wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 9:29 pm
Yes, but that's not consistent with what others have said about Amex... that being said, this card has probably had <$300 in purchases in over two years, so maybe that's why the upgrade option is not available.

I did try to apply by GCR. If it works that's an extra $150 I guess.
amex does not allow product switch or upgrade or downgrade ...

yes, if you have applied via gcr ... you will get $50 more for sure ... plus if you manage to put in $6000 in first 6 months ... you will get another $100 ... this on top of the 5% of the $6000 ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6499 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 9:58 pm
amex does not allow product switch or upgrade or downgrade ...
They certainly used to, within existing categories...

e.g. I converted the old platinum Costco card to the Costco TrueEarnings card, way back in the day...
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 9:58 pm
yes, if you have applied via gcr ... you will get $50 more for sure ... plus if you manage to put in $6000 in first 6 months ... you will get another $100 ... this on top of the 5% of the $6000 ...
That's assuming that picking the 'login as existing customer' option didn't wipe that out.

$6000 in 6 months shouldn't be too too hard. (Yay for car insurance renewal in this town...)
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4947 posts
629 upvotes
Ottawa
VivienM wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 10:31 pm
They certainly used to, within existing categories...

e.g. I converted the old platinum Costco card to the Costco TrueEarnings card, way back in the day...

That's assuming that picking the 'login as existing customer' option didn't wipe that out.

$6000 in 6 months shouldn't be too too hard. (Yay for car insurance renewal in this town...)
yes, those were conversion (forced) ... not switch, upgrade, downgrade ...

so you have had the SC preferred before? Keep us posted on whether you get the welcome bonus again ...