• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 11:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
how do I book a refundable hotel using the $200 Platinum travel credit, and then cancel the reservation?
Dec 8, 2010
721 posts
300 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
ilove wrote: how do I book a refundable hotel using the $200 Platinum travel credit, and then cancel the reservation?
You can book online or via phone, but the only way to cancel is to call Amex.

I know some people in other forum have said this strategy to pocket $200 by booking refundable hotel will work, but i think this is abuse and I don’t recommend it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6610 posts
1979 upvotes
Toronto
luck4u2u wrote: You can book online or via phone, but the only way to cancel is to call Amex.
Not true. I never need to call AMEX to cancel. I just replied to the booking confirmation email, and they can cancel my booking via email.
Oct 31, 2013
84 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
ricedion wrote: Not true. I never need to call AMEX to cancel. I just replied to the booking confirmation email, and they can cancel my booking via email.
Agreed. I also used to think that you can only call to cancel, but last month we cancelled by replying that booking email and it was done.
Jan 16, 2017
223 posts
111 upvotes
Got my Business Gold sign up bonus this morning. Total time was 9 weeks and 4 days after the qualifying transaction posted.
Jan 24, 2015
254 posts
96 upvotes
York, ON
Snipingallday wrote: Got my Business Gold sign up bonus this morning. Total time was 9 weeks and 4 days after the qualifying transaction posted.
Same here! Bonus points posted right after I crossed the 5k requirement.

Edit: I've noticed that my Biz Plat and Biz Gold are different tiers of points... MR First for Biz Plat, and Membership Rewards for Biz Gold if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming both of these can be transferred to Aeroplan 1:1, correct?

Thanks
Last edited by Steejn on Apr 14th, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1425 posts
1326 upvotes
I'm an idiot. So I applied and was approved for the CPA Gold Business rewards thinking the referral link didn't have FYF, but I checked today it appears that it was FYF... :( Possible to change the application? I'm guessing I am SOL.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
3176 posts
691 upvotes
eugeneo wrote: I'm an idiot. So I applied and was approved for the CPA Gold Business rewards thinking the referral link didn't have FYF, but I checked today it appears that it was FYF... :( Possible to change the application? I'm guessing I am SOL.
Unfortunately, nope..
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
3176 posts
691 upvotes
Steejn wrote: Same here! Bonus points posted right after I crossed the 5k requirement.

Edit: I've noticed that my Biz Plat and Biz Gold are different tiers of points... MR First for Biz Plat, and Membership Rewards for Biz Gold if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming both of these can be transferred to Aeroplan 1:1, correct?

Thanks
Yes.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
eugeneo wrote: I'm an idiot. So I applied and was approved for the CPA Gold Business rewards thinking the referral link didn't have FYF, but I checked today it appears that it was FYF... :( Possible to change the application? I'm guessing I am SOL.
hey ... don't be so hard on yrself ... :)

but, i don't really understand the issue ... can you pls give a bit more context? thnx
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3919 upvotes
Richmond Hill
VH99 wrote: hey ... don't be so hard on yrself ... :)

but, i don't really understand the issue ... can you pls give a bit more context? thnx
Mags is gonna yell at you all again
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Elfwood wrote: Mags is gonna yell at you all again
but ... what's CPA biz gold ?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2147 posts
959 upvotes
Snipingallday wrote: Got my Business Gold sign up bonus this morning. Total time was 9 weeks and 4 days after the qualifying transaction posted.
7 weeks for me and no bonus yet. I guess it's another 2 weeks and 4 days to go. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
VH99 wrote: but ... what's CPA biz gold ?
Amex offers 2 cards for CPAs: Gold and Business Gold.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
3401 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: Amex offers 2 cards for CPAs: Gold and Business Gold.
Do you have to prove that you are CPA to apply for the Business Gold?
Dec 8, 2010
721 posts
300 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
Why the upset? You still get 40K and FYF with CPA. The renewal fee is $150 (instead of $250) which is probably not relevant if you’re churning the card.
Feb 13, 2018
198 posts
124 upvotes
Just applied for platinum card, it was online application, now it say it will take upto 10days to take decision, fingers crossed
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Meha68 wrote: Just applied for platinum card, it was online application, now it say it will take upto 10days to take decision, fingers crossed
this means you have been approved ... on condition that they can verify your identity ... so you will get the card ...
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Elfwood wrote: Mags is gonna yell at you all again
never mind, i finally figured out his dilemma ... he is out the referral bonus???
Feb 13, 2018
198 posts
124 upvotes
VH99 wrote: this means you have been approved ... on condition that they can verify your identity ... so you will get the card ...
Thanks, But I am existing card holder, they already knew my all details, then why they want to verify me again?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)