Credit Cards

[AMEX] Business Gold 40K after $5K, Biz Plat 60K after $7K, Platinum 60K MR after $3K spending

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 8:01 am
Tags:
None
Nov 13, 2016
128 posts
203 upvotes
parmatin wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:59 pm
Not everyone. I got my a Biz Plat on November 23rd (instant approval) and applied for Biz Gold on Dec 31. The message indicated to wait up to 10 days for a final answer. Of course I called in early January to speed up the process. Even the CSR was confused and read me the "Congratulations your Business Platinum was approved" spiel. I also eventually got a mailed letter just like you did, dated Dec 31 (my date of Biz Gold application).

In any case, once clarified, he was able to process the application manually and I didn't have to reapply. Referral points posted two days later.
So you called in and explained your situation?

Did you mention you did a self referral?
Don't they frown on self referrals?
If someone's comment helped you, an upvote only takes 1 click!
Jun 19, 2011
3 posts
2 upvotes
slampii wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:43 am
So you called in and explained your situation?

Did you mention you did a self referral?
Don't they frown on self referrals?
Yes, I did. I called in and said that I was wondering why I was not auto-approved, and politely suggested I'd like to rectify any problems. I anticipated them asking why I might want two business cards, and said I'd like to separate my business expenses. Actually, he was quite reassuring and told me there was no limit to the number of charge cards one can have. I definitely did not mention anything about reward points.

Oh, one other thing to mention is that he said sometimes the system triggers with multiple applications to the same address and they just want to verify your identity. He asked me a few basics like birthday etc.

As for self-referral, I didn't bring it up and would advise against it.

I'm fairly sure that given our similar timelines, your story will be similar.
Jul 24, 2006
80 posts
Burnaby
I did the benefit enrolment online in my AMEX personal plat account for SPG, Hilton status etc. It's been 3 or 4 days and it still says it's pending. I called the customer service phone number and they tell me it can be up to 2 or 3 weeks, and that she couldn't expedite it in any way. How long did everyone's update take or for new account information to be received if I didn't provide an account number?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2282 posts
749 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Too bad Hilton's status only for Personal Plat and not Biz Plat...
Oct 31, 2013
77 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
This might have been asked before, but does anyone know if the 225000k max points for referrals from the biz plat per calendar year or per 12 months? It says "annual" and I don't know if it's calendar or per 12 months since "annual" fee is every 12 months from the start of your credit card approval/activation
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1981 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
kw0921 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:37 am
This might have been asked before, but does anyone know if the 225000k max points for referrals from the biz plat per calendar year or per 12 months? It says "annual" and I don't know if it's calendar or per 12 months since "annual" fee is every 12 months from the start of your credit card approval/activation
It resets on Jan 1.
Nov 13, 2016
128 posts
203 upvotes
parmatin wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:05 am
Yes, I did. I called in and said that I was wondering why I was not auto-approved, and politely suggested I'd like to rectify any problems. I anticipated them asking why I might want two business cards, and said I'd like to separate my business expenses. Actually, he was quite reassuring and told me there was no limit to the number of charge cards one can have. I definitely did not mention anything about reward points.

Oh, one other thing to mention is that he said sometimes the system triggers with multiple applications to the same address and they just want to verify your identity. He asked me a few basics like birthday etc.

As for self-referral, I didn't bring it up and would advise against it.

I'm fairly sure that given our similar timelines, your story will be similar.
Similar story when i called in and was approved. Awaiting the referral bonus points now.

Thanks for the help!
Jun 19, 2011
3 posts
2 upvotes
slampii wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:00 pm
Similar story when i called in and was approved. Awaiting the referral bonus points now.

Thanks for the help!
Nice one, mate! I'm glad I broke 7 years of silence to help you Crying Face
Jan 18, 2014
482 posts
55 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
kw0921 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:37 am
I wish I had that problem!
Nov 13, 2016
128 posts
203 upvotes
parmatin wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:10 pm
Nice one, mate! I'm glad I broke 7 years of silence to help you Crying Face
I noticed it was your first RFD comment. Much Appreciated!
Feb 13, 2010
20 posts
What's the general thought on turning the travel credit into cash? I have no travel plans and need to cancel the card in march before the AF.

Any issues with booking refundable travel in the distant future and canceling it? Any options better than others?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1081 posts
99 upvotes
Ajax
gt rider wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:45 am
What's the general thought on turning the travel credit into cash? I have no travel plans and need to cancel the card in march before the AF.

Any issues with booking refundable travel in the distant future and canceling it? Any options better than others?
Do you have any other opened MR Amex Cards that you can combine points with? If not, you could apply for one to keep your account and points active.
Feb 13, 2010
20 posts
Bellotts wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:04 pm
Do you have any other opened MR Amex Cards that you can combine points with? If not, you could apply for one to keep your account and points active.
I do have another account for MR points but I'm wondering more for the $200 Platinum credit (I should have specified). I would like to cash in the $200 and am wondering if there's a preferred method for doing this (i.e.: book a car rental vs. refundable hotel etc.)
Dec 25, 2017
19 posts
4 upvotes
So, applied a biz plat, approved the next day, received and activated the third day, and charged 5112 to this card up to date, transactions all posted. Why my mr is only 26xx? Any one can help here? Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1078 posts
317 upvotes
Vancouver
Eugene911 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 11:23 am
So, applied a biz plat, approved the next day, received and activated the third day, and charged 5112 to this card up to date, transactions all posted. Why my mr is only 26xx? Any one can help here? Thanks
Patience is the key. I've noticed most point systems have a bit of a lag between when charges post and when points fully update. The points from the 5112 should be updated pretty quick, but your signup bonus is a different story. Could be a few days, or could end up being 8-10 weeks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)