Credit Cards

[AMEX] Business Gold 40K/Biz Plat 75K after $5K, Platinum 60K MR after $3K spending

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20587 posts
3224 upvotes
Waterloo

[AMEX] Business Gold 40K/Biz Plat 75K after $5K, Platinum 60K MR after $3K spending

Updated 5/3/2017 to added the Personal Platinum card

AMEX Personal Platinum
- 60,000 AMEX Membership Rewards Points after $3,000 spending within 3 months
- $200 Annual Travel Credit per calendar year
YMMV - Use $200 credit before end of this year and then again starting Jan 1, 2018 . See tips here
- $699 Annual Fee ($499 effectively if you deduct the $200 credit, or $299 if you deduct $200 TWICE)

Other benefits:
- Access to AMEX lounges
- Priority pass VIP for unlimited access to 600+ lounges when traveling
- Hotel: Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
- 15000 AMEX MR Points PER REFERRAL

more info on $200 credit here
https://icm.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... redit.html
$200 Annual Travel Credit
Travel Credit is not deducted from the total price upon reservation completion. If you select ‘Use Travel Credit’, once you confirm your reservation it will take 2 business days for the credit to appear on your account. Click on the Travel Credit Link above for full details, Terms & Conditions. Your Travel Credit expires on 12/31/17 (mm/dd/yy).

AMEX Business Platinum card - 75K AMEX MR via referral (vs. 50K non-referral) after $5000 spending, $399 annual fee, Priority Pass lounge access (still needs $27/entry)

AMEX Business Gold card is 40K AMEX MR via referral after $5000 spending, First Year Free

----------------------------------------------------------------
AMEX has just updated its offer on Business Gold CHARGE card again (after removing FYF and changing minimum spending to $5000 from $3000 in March 2014)

My take
  • Hard part is spending $5000 in 3 months <-- hard to achieve unless you have upcoming flights to book, or buy a lot of gift cards
  • One can apply for this card as well, simply put your full legal name as BUSINESS NAME and usually AMEX will approve you. Just say you're doing part-time business, or house rental, etc...
  • Earn a Welcome Bonus of 40,000 points when you charge $5,000 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership. That’s enough to redeem for a $400 TripFlex™ rewards statement credit to use towards eligible travel purchases charged to your Card.
  • Pay no annual fee for the first year. (Annual fee of $250, which may be a tax deductible expense)[/COLOR]
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card. Plus, you can earn 1 extra point for every $1 in eligible purchases charged to the Card at 3 suppliers you pick from a list of select American Express merchants in Canada. You can earn up to a maximum of 250,000 extra points in each calendar year1.
  • Transfer your points, at no charge, to many frequent flyer and other loyalty programs including 1:1 to Aeroplan®*2 and Avios3.
  • Interest-Free Days. Maximize your cash flow with up to 55 interest-free days4.
  • Expense Management Reports. Quarterly and annual reporting that makes record keeping, expense tracking and tax preparation easier.
  • Offset Business Expenses with PointFlex for BusinessTM5.
  • Offset Trip Expenses with TripFlexTM rewards6.
  • $250 Annual Fee which may be a tax deductible expense7 (30% annual interest rate applies to balances not paid in full)*.

Eligibility - looks like no minimum income, for both Business Gold AND Platinum cards
To save you time, make sure you can say yes to the following before applying for the American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card:
You are a Canadian resident and have a Canadian credit file
You are of the age of majority in the province or territory where you live.
In the past 7 years, you have not filed for bankruptcy
You have always made your monthly payments on time

*As a Charge Card, the balance must always be paid in full each month. 30% annual interest rate applies to balances not paid in full. Payments must be received and processed by the date of the next monthly statement to avoid interest charges.
What Can You Do with AMEX MR Point?
- Transfer 1-to-1 to Aeroplan (instantly)
- Transfer 1-to-1 to British Airways Avios (2-3 days). Awesome for short-haul flights like YYZ-LGA/JFK/ORD at 9000 points round-trip
- Redeem as TripFlex credit (1 cent per point; 30K points = $300) on TRAVEL expenses

I don't think anyone intends to use this card heavily, but you can earn 2X on selected 3 Suppliers of your choice, after you received the card. You can choose/reset every CALENDAR year
https://smallbusiness.americanexpress.c ... pplierlist

Canadian Business Plat lounge benefits
https://smallbusiness.americanexpress.c ... l-benefits
Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit2
Enjoy peace amidst the chaos of business with complimentary access to Plaza Premium Lounges and Servisair Executive Lounges regardless of the type of fare purchased or the airline booked. Lounge access is complimentary for you, your spouse and two children under the age of 21 or one travelling companion. Simply show your Business Platinum Card, your boarding pass, and, if requested, government-issued identification for lounge access.

+Airport Club Program3
You can enjoy complimentary access to the Delta Sky Club® lounges. Simply present your Business Platinum Card, a ticket valid for travel that day on the corresponding airline and valid government-issued photo identification.

Priority Pass Worldwide Airport Lounge Access4
Comfort and convenience served just about anywhere you travel, compliments of Priority Pass. Experience access to airport lounges around the globe, regardless of your choice of airline or class of ticket. Before your flight, catch up on business or slow down and relax with complimentary light refreshments and drinks. The $99 USD annual fee is on us and each lounge visit costs just $27 USD per person. Before you begin, please call us to enroll for a Priority Pass membership at 1-888-721-1044.
******************** PLEASE DO NOT POST REFERRAL URL IN THIS THREAD (due to RFD rules) **************************
Last edited by jerryhung on Oct 9th, 2014 7:46 am, edited 11 times in total.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
2943 replies
Banned
Nov 12, 2006
2715 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
Go through gcr for $65 after getting approved.

I wish they bring back the no annual fee for amex ap
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20587 posts
3224 upvotes
Waterloo
dtrader69 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 7:53 am
Go through gcr for $65 after getting approved.

I wish they bring back the no annual fee for amex ap
GCR's offer page still shows 25K + $65 cashback for now
I'll update my OP if GCR updates it to 30K MR points later
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Banned
Nov 12, 2006
2715 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 7:58 am
GCR's offer page still shows 25K + $65 cashback for now
I'll update my OP if GCR updates it to 30K MR points later
It's 30000, just follow the links through GCR

"For Small Business Owners
The American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card
The American Express ®
Business Gold Rewards Card
Bonus Membership Rewards®points6 That’s enough to redeem for a $300 TripFlexTM rewards statement credit to use towards eligible travel purchases charged to your Card9"
Sep 11, 2005
7 posts
1 upvote
Hi, Is there link for "Option 2: 25K MR + $65 via GCR"? Thanks.
Banned
Nov 12, 2006
2715 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
winhorse wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 8:38 am
Hi, Is there link for "Option 2: 25K MR + $65 via GCR"? Thanks.
it is actually 30k with $65 via GCR, just go to the gcr site and find the card and apply through there.
just that gcr verbiage needs to change, but the link goes to 30k.
Sep 11, 2005
7 posts
1 upvote
Hi, dtrader69, Thank you. It's my 1st time to know GCR.
Banned
Nov 12, 2006
2715 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 8:57 am
For those who can't get their spending up there, the Regular Gold card is 25,000MR + 10,000MR referral with only $500 spending in 3 months and FYF.
agreed, it is a better option and more obtainable (if you dont care about the bells and whistles that come with the business gold card), i think there is another forum page that talks about this card).
the 2nd option is going through gcr as well to get $50 instead of going through someone for the extra 10000 MR points.

whichever you value more.

also, if you can stomach both cards, get both at the same time to limit credit pulls hit. lol
Jan 1, 2013
35 posts
6 upvotes
MARKHAM
Is it possible to self-refer if you have the personal Amex Gold Rewards card and collect the 10k referral points, or is the business aspect of this card considered a different "line" of cards similar to the Aeroplan AMEX cards and therefore risky re: self-referral?
Banned
Nov 12, 2006
2715 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
temporalstorm wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 9:04 am
Is it possible to self-refer if you have the personal Amex Gold Rewards card and collect the 10k referral points, or is the business aspect of this card considered a different "line" of cards similar to the Aeroplan AMEX cards and therefore risky re: self-referral?
i read that you can from another page on rfd. i think jerryhung can probably answer this
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
3662 posts
247 upvotes
GTA
Can you really do that? I thought that you will still be hit with 2 hard hit on your credit score.
dtrader69 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 9:00 am
also, if you can stomach both cards, get both at the same time to limit credit pulls hit. lol
Banned
Nov 12, 2006
2715 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
trungngo13 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 9:15 am
Can you really do that? I thought that you will still be hit with 2 hard hit on your credit score.
here's where i read it.
http://romsdeals.com/2012/12/05/multipl ... same-time/

i suggest, for any other that didn't get there 1 yr free credit report from equifax to get one (assuming you shop at home depot for the past yr)
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-equ ... h-1550489/
that way you can track your credit scores :)
Sep 14, 2010
916 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
ugh.. lots of shops dislike amex thou lol
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
3662 posts
247 upvotes
GTA
That article is quite old. I think in the past the inquiry doesn't go onto your credit report immediately, so if you apply for five cards at once then none of those issuers will see the impact immediately. But fast forward to today, I think they have the ability to to see your credit report instantly, so you better watch out from applying too many cards at once.
dtrader69 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 9:29 am
here's where i read it.
http://romsdeals.com/2012/12/05/multipl ... same-time/

i suggest, for any other that didn't get there 1 yr free credit report from equifax to get one (assuming you shop at home depot for the past yr)
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-equ ... h-1550489/
that way you can track your credit scores :)