Credit Cards

[AMEX] Business Gold 40K/Biz Plat 75K after $5K, Platinum 60K MR after $3K spending

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 5:13 am
Tags:
None
Oct 24, 2011
246 posts
53 upvotes
Kitchener
bizee-bee wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 5:03 pm
25K for referring is not predicated on the new card to be activated, only on a successfully approved application. This point, you've already confirmed is true.

What is your reason for NOT activating the card? 'splain, plz.
My friend applied the card to get me referral point, and he knows for sure he won't be using this card.
So I don't see the reason why it is even necessary to activate.
Jan 4, 2011
246 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
ggman8988 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 9:56 am
My friend applied the card to get me referral point, and he knows for sure he won't be using this card.
I guess my question would be: what's the difference if you activate or not? If you are concerned that there will be an issue with an "unactivated" card, then why not activate it -- it takes less than a minute online, and there is no requirement to use the card when its activated. The credit bureau will see the new trade either way, whether the card is activated or not. So, again, if there is some reason your are concerned about not activating the card, just activate it -- it makes no difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3669 posts
1393 upvotes
ggman8988 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 9:56 am
Wow, can you give me your friend's contact info!?

By now you've seen comments by myself and others, that even if the card is not activated, the credit bureau effects are already in place. This is why I asked earlier, what your reason was for not activating, i.e. what are you trying to accomplish?

Now, I didn't realize it was your FRIEND who is wondering whether to activate or not. And if you don't care about how his/her bureau file looks, then don't worry about it. Amex won't link it back to you and say "Hey, you've been referring to new cards which aren't getting activated!". Well, I don't know this for sure, but I strongly believe it is the way it goes.

For your friend's bureau file, the Transunion hard pull has probably already occured (unless friend is also a massive churner and has had prior recent Amex apps which *may* have assisted to help avoid a pull...it's been happening lately). Now if the friend's new card is NOT activated, it will still get reported to both Transunion and Equifax as a new tradeline and will affect the credit file's AAoA at both bureaus, but it will not show a "High Limit" value.

Is this going to affect you? Not likely. But your friend should get at least a pat on the back for standing in the line of fire for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2312 posts
947 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 10:40 am
Wow, can you give me your friend's contact info!?

By now you've seen comments by myself and others, that even if the card is not activated, the credit bureau effects are already in place. This is why I asked earlier, what your reason was for not activating, i.e. what are you trying to accomplish?

Now, I didn't realize it was your FRIEND who is wondering whether to activate or not. And if you don't care about how his/her bureau file looks, then don't worry about it. Amex won't link it back to you and say "Hey, you've been referring to new cards which aren't getting activated!". Well, I don't know this for sure, but I strongly believe it is the way it goes.

For your friend's bureau file, the Transunion hard pull has probably already occured (unless friend is also a massive churner and has had prior recent Amex apps which *may* have assisted to help avoid a pull...it's been happening lately). Now if the friend's new card is NOT activated, it will still get reported to both Transunion and Equifax as a new tradeline and will affect the credit file's AAoA at both bureaus, but it will not show a "High Limit" value.

Is this going to affect you? Not likely. But your friend should get at least a pat on the back for standing in the line of fire for you.
bizee-bee... you never fail to entertain. You had smiling from beginning to end.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3669 posts
1393 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 1:17 pm
bizee-bee... you never fail to entertain. You had smiling from beginning to end.
Tommy, glad you found it entertaining, but my intention was to be enlightening.

I guess I missed my true calling in life. :|
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3929 posts
389 upvotes
Ottawa
bizee-bee wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 3:54 pm

... enlightertaining ... perhaps ?
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2312 posts
947 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 3:54 pm

I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7547 posts
367 upvotes
Canada
This might be a dumb question, but does applying for a business credit card (was going to be applying for the Amex Business Platinum) affect my personal credit rating? Or just my corporation's rating? Or both?
He died for me, I live for him
Apr 13, 2016
16 posts
2 upvotes
As far as i know it affects your personal credit regardless.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1879 posts
688 upvotes
efrant wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 10:09 am
I guess my question would be: what's the difference if you activate or not? If you are concerned that there will be an issue with an "unactivated" card, then why not activate it -- it takes less than a minute online, and there is no requirement to use the card when its activated. The credit bureau will see the new trade either way, whether the card is activated or not. So, again, if there is some reason your are concerned about not activating the card, just activate it -- it makes no difference.
I can't speak with certainty about charge cards, however with credit cards, it is better that your credit card report to the bureau as "paid as agreed" as opposed to "too new to rate". Therefore, as a general rule it is a good idea to use the card for a few statement periods even if only for a few dollars.

Furthermore, on this card, you only collect the sign up bonus if you reach the minimum spending requirement. Therefore, whether its you, or your friend, you might as well satisfy the minimum spending so you can collect your bonus. Keep in mind, there is an annual fee, so cancel the card before the year is up so that you don't pay it.

I was upgraded to the platinum a few months ago. They gave me the $400 bonus, but then promptly took their annual fee, so it was net 0 for me. I'll have to think carefully about this next year. I am charging about 15K/month on this card. I don't feel that I owe them an annual fee.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4682 posts
294 upvotes
Noob question about the Biz Plat card....I'm not understanding the difference between Platinum Lounge Benefit and Priority Pass Worldwide Airport Lounge Access. Well, the latter states that you have to enrol and there's a fee per person to enter. I get that, but then what's the Platinum Lounge Benefit? Is it that this benefit ONLY gets you into Plaza Premium and Servisair Executive Lounges?

I'm potentially planning a trip that would involve a four hour layover in the MEX airport. Would we be able to enter a lounge to relax without an extra fee (ob said, not via the Priority Pss Worldwide Airport Lounge Access)? Thanks.

ETA: I think I found the answer....the Priority Pass lounge access includes many, many more than the Platinum Lounge benefit. Is that correct?
Also, looks like the only accessible lounge under the Platinum Lounge benefit is in the Intl departures area and our stop over would be an international arrival but a domestic transfer, so no dice.
Last edited by amz155 on Dec 26th, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3669 posts
1393 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 12:12 pm
Noob question about the Biz Plat card....I'm not understanding the difference between Platinum Lounge Benefit and Priority Pass Worldwide Airport Lounge Access. Well, the latter states that you have to enrol and there's a fee per person to enter. I get that, but then what's the Platinum Lounge Benefit? Is it that this benefit ONLY gets you into Plaza Premium and Servisair Executive Lounges?

I'm potentially planning a trip that would involve a four hour layover in the MEX airport. Would we be able to enter a lounge to relax without an extra fee (ob said, not via the Priority Pss Worldwide Airport Lounge Access)? Thanks.

ETA: I think I found the answer....the Priority Pass lounge access includes many, many more than the Platinum Lounge benefit. Is that correct?
Also, looks like the only accessible lounge under the Platinum Lounge benefit is in the Intl departures area and our stop over would be an international arrival but a do,entice transfer, so no dice.
Correct, as you've discovered. The Biz Plat does not give you a free access membership to Priority Pass lounges. You only get free access to Amex Centurion and Plaza Premium lounges. I believe there is a Plaza Premium at MEX. Edit: There are actually 2 Amex Centurion lounges in MEX (International and domestic), which is even BETTER (usually) than the Plaza Premium longes. With the Amex Centurion lounges you+2 guests have free access.
Dec 3, 2009
145 posts
7 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:10 pm
How long did it take for everyone's SPG Gold to show up?

I'm on week 3 from when I asked, no luck so far.
Did you ever get your SPG gold status applied? If so, how long did it take? Did you need to call in and follow-up?

I didn't manage to renew my SPG status for next year, and I have the biz plat, was hoping it'd be a relatively painless process...
Feb 24, 2015
40 posts
49 upvotes
Fort McMurray, AB
pentiumvi wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 4:58 am
Did you ever get your SPG gold status applied? If so, how long did it take? Did you need to call in and follow-up?

I didn't manage to renew my SPG status for next year, and I have the biz plat, was hoping it'd be a relatively painless process...
I had to call to get the spg gold, but it was very easy.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2807 posts
326 upvotes
Alberta
pentiumvi wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 4:58 am

I did. I ended up having to call 4 times total, and it took 5 weeks. Very annoying.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

taurus25