Credit Cards

[AMEX] Business Gold 40K/Biz Plat 75K after $5K, Platinum 60K MR after $3K spending

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 5:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2807 posts
326 upvotes
Alberta
RolandCouch wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:32 pm
Family member waited 10 full weeks near the end of last year.
Hmm, so hope is not yet lost. I guess they won't honour it if I have to call and ask for it, eh?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10217 posts
1017 upvotes
Markham
scouzer wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:33 pm
Hmm, so hope is not yet lost. I guess they won't honour it if I have to call and ask for it, eh?
If I were you I would just wait the 10 weeks as it says 8-10 waiting period. If you don't have them by 10 weeks, I'd send an online message inquiring about the points. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1546 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
Just want to confirm that the lifetime one welcome bonus applies to personal cards only, not business cards?
The reason I asked is because I want to refer a family member who had the biz gold card but closed about 3 months ago.

Should I wait longer to make sure?
Apr 16, 2009
925 posts
214 upvotes
Vancouver
vipjn wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 10:05 pm
Just want to confirm that the lifetime one welcome bonus applies to personal cards only, not business cards?
The reason I asked is because I want to refer a family member who had the biz gold card but closed about 3 months ago.

Should I wait longer to make sure?
The lifetime wording seems to be loosely enforces....always YMMV!

Members here, as well as myself, have been successful in churning cards that were closed less than 3 months prior...but again YMMV it'll always be a risk.

If it's been 3 months I'd say you're pretty safe. Just let the system do it's work even if it means waiting their prescribed lengthy timelines..
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1017 posts
73 upvotes
Ajax
DefconZero wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 10:11 am
The lifetime wording seems to be loosely enforces....always YMMV!

Members here, as well as myself, have been successful in churning cards that were closed less than 3 months prior...but again YMMV it'll always be a risk.

If it's been 3 months I'd say you're pretty safe. Just let the system do it's work even if it means waiting their prescribed lengthy timelines..
So wait the 10days and don't call, if not instant approved?
Apr 16, 2009
925 posts
214 upvotes
Vancouver
Bellotts wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 10:26 am
So wait the 10days and don't call, if not instant approved?
Recently if the wife and I were not instantly approved, they would attempt to contact us to verify our identity; so calling in for those purposes is fine, otherwise we waited patiently for points, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1017 posts
73 upvotes
Ajax
DefconZero wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:03 pm
Recently if the wife and I were not instantly approved, they would attempt to contact us to verify our identity; so calling in for those purposes is fine, otherwise we waited patiently for points, etc.
What's the "otherwise" part of the equation. When wouldn't you want to call?
Apr 16, 2009
925 posts
214 upvotes
Vancouver
Bellotts wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 5:32 pm
What's the "otherwise" part of the equation. When wouldn't you want to call?
Basically anything having to do with points.

Given that the majority browsing this thread have had most of these cards more than once, we are technically not eligible for receiving the bonuses again, but their computer systems hand them out anyway.

If you attract attention to your account by calling and asking about missing points, they can potentially blacklist you making you ineligible for the foreseeable future - no good.

A term that's been used a lot around here lately is "loose lips sink ships" - i.e. don't go around flaunting how awesome you are at churning, you're just ruining it for everyone else.

I'm glad you're asking these questions and informing yourself - it helps from time to time to have them come up as not everyone reads the OP. Happy churning!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1017 posts
73 upvotes
Ajax
DefconZero wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 5:43 pm
Basically anything having to do with points.

Given that the majority browsing this thread have had most of these cards more than once, we are technically not eligible for receiving the bonuses again, but their computer systems hand them out anyway.

If you attract attention to your account by calling and asking about missing points, they can potentially blacklist you making you ineligible for the foreseeable future - no good.

A term that's been used a lot around here lately is "loose lips sink ships" - i.e. don't go around flaunting how awesome you are at churning, you're just ruining it for everyone else.

I'm glad you're asking these questions and informing yourself - it helps from time to time to have them come up as not everyone reads the OP. Happy churning!
Cheers that's what I figured. If you don't get the points right away - wait the 8-10 weeks for the system to work it out, especially on repeat signup.

Regarding not getting instant approval on your second or third time around with a card, do you still recommend calling in to expedite it? Or wait the 10 days? I would think calling in would draw attention no as they could probably see that you've had the card before?
Apr 16, 2009
925 posts
214 upvotes
Vancouver
Bellotts wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 11:00 am
Cheers that's what I figured. If you don't get the points right away - wait the 8-10 weeks for the system to work it out, especially on repeat signup.

Regarding not getting instant approval on your second or third time around with a card, do you still recommend calling in to expedite it? Or wait the 10 days? I would think calling in would draw attention no as they could probably see that you've had the card before?
If the wife and I were not instantly approved, we found that they called us 1-2 days after the application for identity verification, so no need to call in. Guess it depends on how quick you need the card. Others haven't had issues calling to expedite, but again it's all a mystery on what they'll do so I just play it safe :).
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1017 posts
73 upvotes
Ajax
DefconZero wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 11:33 am
If the wife and I were not instantly approved, we found that they called us 1-2 days after the application for identity verification, so no need to call in. Guess it depends on how quick you need the card. Others haven't had issues calling to expedite, but again it's all a mystery on what they'll do so I just play it safe :).
Just realized you answered my question a few posts back. Lol sorry.

Is there a possibility of a denial if you wait the full 10 days and not call in?
Jun 15, 2017
143 posts
29 upvotes
Bellotts wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 11:00 am

I've always called,same day or day after(repeat cardholder).They have always only wanted to confirm that it was really me submitting the application by asking a few verification questions.No issues getting repeat bonuses,for me,when inquiring about an application.Just don't mention the points!
Mar 22, 2006
95 posts
2 upvotes
Hi guys,

I just tried to self-refer myself from Business Plantinum to Business gold.

In the application I did not enter "are you an existing amex card member".
Once I submitted the application, I received the "Thank you for choosing American Express. We are unable to give you an instant decision at this time. Your application will be processed within 10 days."

What are the next steps here? I have read from some of you that Amex will call to confirm - if they ask if I am an existing card member, what should I tell them? Anything else I should say or avoid saying?
Should I call them or wait for them to call?

Thank you in advance!
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3164 posts
3020 upvotes
Montreal
estel_mm wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 1:15 pm
Hi guys,

I just tried to self-refer myself from Business Plantinum to Business gold.

In the application I did not enter "are you an existing amex card member".
Once I submitted the application, I received the "Thank you for choosing American Express. We are unable to give you an instant decision at this time. Your application will be processed within 10 days."

What are the next steps here? I have read from some of you that Amex will call to confirm - if they ask if I am an existing card member, what should I tell them? Anything else I should say or avoid saying?
Should I call them or wait for them to call?

Thank you in advance!
Check next couple of days to see if there is 25000 referral bonus posted on your Amex Business account. If you see 25000 referral bonus then it means Amex already approve your Amex Business Gold and you don't have to do anything. Just wait for your Amex Business Gold.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1017 posts
73 upvotes
Ajax
X360 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 9:02 pm
Check next couple of days to see if there is 25000 referral bonus posted on your Amex Business account. If you see 25000 referral bonus then it means Amex already approve your Amex Business Gold and you don't have to do anything. Just wait for your Amex Business Gold.
What if no referral posts?

What are his alternative steps?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

taurus25