• Mar 28th, 2024 11:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7371 posts
9174 upvotes
Montreal
ritzcrv wrote: I'd like to know about that too. I have biz plat and the only referral link on my account page is for biz plat.
Noob1ee wrote: I don't think it's allowed anymore. Just logged in to check and I can only refer to AMEX Biz Plat from my Biz Plat card.
You are able to refer from a Biz Platinum to Biz Gold. When the person clicks on the link, they will see the Biz Platinum application, but all they have to do is scroll down to the bottom and select the Biz Gold card.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
3176 posts
691 upvotes
efrant wrote: You are able to refer from a Biz Platinum to Biz Gold. When the person clicks on the link, they will see the Biz Platinum application, but all they have to do is scroll down to the bottom and select the Biz Gold card.
Thanks for correcting me, you are right, I see what you mean now.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1275 posts
404 upvotes
I had the personal plat and secure messaged to ask for closing a month before my AF was supposed to be charged. They took over a week to get back to me, then asked if I wanted to move my mere 16 MR pts to my Gold Biz Amex so I said sure, not thinking this would cause more delay. In doing this, they did not get back to me until weeks later when the Gold statement was generated and the AF for the Plat had just been charged. I asked for the fee to be reimbursed and they said they'd work on it. I went overseas for 5 weeks and forgot about it. The account is now closed so I can't even bring up all the secure messsaging timeline that happened, but I got a bill for $200 cancelled Plat as they only credited $499 of the $699 fee. I know they did this to people who called late to cancel and when looking back on their history, saw that they used the annual travel credit twice (which I did), but the delay was not due to my laziness. And technically at the time I had this card, the fine print said that the travel credit was per calendar year. Anyone this happen to and got them to refund the entire fee? I'm so sick of dealing with customer service at this point I don't want to call unless I have a good chance.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
2232 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
GPS wrote: I had the personal plat and secure messaged to ask for closing a month before my AF was supposed to be charged. They took over a week to get back to me, then asked if I wanted to move my mere 16 MR pts to my Gold Biz Amex so I said sure, not thinking this would cause more delay. In doing this, they did not get back to me until weeks later when the Gold statement was generated and the AF for the Plat had just been charged. I asked for the fee to be reimbursed and they said they'd work on it. I went overseas for 5 weeks and forgot about it. The account is now closed so I can't even bring up all the secure messsaging timeline that happened, but I got a bill for $200 cancelled Plat as they only credited $499 of the $699 fee. I know they did this to people who called late to cancel and when looking back on their history, saw that they used the annual travel credit twice (which I did), but the delay was not due to my laziness. And technically at the time I had this card, the fine print said that the travel credit was per calendar year. Anyone this happen to and got them to refund the entire fee? I'm so sick of dealing with customer service at this point I don't want to call unless I have a good chance.
Had that happened to me. Spoke with a supervisor and got nowhere. Just ate that up and continued churning.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5442 posts
3912 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GPS wrote: I had the personal plat and secure messaged to ask for closing a month before my AF was supposed to be charged. They took over a week to get back to me, then asked if I wanted to move my mere 16 MR pts to my Gold Biz Amex so I said sure, not thinking this would cause more delay. In doing this, they did not get back to me until weeks later when the Gold statement was generated and the AF for the Plat had just been charged. I asked for the fee to be reimbursed and they said they'd work on it. I went overseas for 5 weeks and forgot about it. The account is now closed so I can't even bring up all the secure messsaging timeline that happened, but I got a bill for $200 cancelled Plat as they only credited $499 of the $699 fee. I know they did this to people who called late to cancel and when looking back on their history, saw that they used the annual travel credit twice (which I did), but the delay was not due to my laziness. And technically at the time I had this card, the fine print said that the travel credit was per calendar year. Anyone this happen to and got them to refund the entire fee? I'm so sick of dealing with customer service at this point I don't want to call unless I have a good chance.
You should move on. The chance of you getting the $200 back is 0%. It will just be a waste of your time calling AMEX and escalating the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6264 upvotes
You used the travel credit twice within a year, so your chance to succeed is 0%.

Move on. Don’t waste your time.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1275 posts
404 upvotes
Thanks guys, it's just annoying since I knew about this so made sure I requested the cancellation a month ahead! I regret agreeing to keep those measly 16 points, not worth $200!
Jun 29, 2005
494 posts
65 upvotes
i am going to Paris in Sept 2019. does anyone know how if i can convert this Amex points to Aeroplan? annual fee is a bit expensive. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2017
1047 posts
1093 upvotes
yaister wrote: i am going to Paris in Sept 2019. does anyone know how if i can convert this Amex points to Aeroplan? annual fee is a bit expensive. :)
Yes, MR from platinum can go to aeroplan.

An aeroplan redemption to europe would likely have pretty high taxes and fees though, so do some research first. You don't want to take on a high fee card for a bunch of miles and then still pay a lot out of pocket for your "free" ticket.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
nevyn1234 wrote: Yes, MR from platinum can go to aeroplan.

An aeroplan redemption to europe would likely have pretty high taxes and fees though, so do some research first. You don't want to take on a high fee card for a bunch of miles and then still pay a lot out of pocket for your "free" ticket.
Ya, might as well pay $750 for a ticket rather than 60000 for an aeroplan redemption and $500 in taxes and surcharges. Use MR for credit for the ticket.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
nevyn1234 wrote: Yes, MR from platinum can go to aeroplan.

To Europe, I find taking United (Star Alliance) is the way to go but then gain, UA only flies to a few major cities and requires a stop over usually in Chicago.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
yaister wrote: i am going to Paris in Sept 2019. does anyone know how if i can convert this Amex points to Aeroplan? annual fee is a bit expensive. :)
Adding to the other responses above, a simple measuring stick to use is to ask yourself if you are you at least an intermediate-level Aeroplan member? I.e., do you know which Star Alliance partners to fly without incurring the ridiculously high associated taxes/surcharges? If not, then forget about Aeroplan as an option to most European cities.

The best ways I’ve found value for Aeroplans in getting to Europe is with a business class redemption and to maximize the number of free extra stopovers (>24 hrs) so that you get a total of 3 different European cities to visit. Plus, part and parcel with finding low fee *A partners to fly with means you’re going to have to add in quite a few EXTRA layovers (<24 hrs), so with a business class redemption it eases the lumps and bumps of these heavily laden multi-segmented itineraries.

I’ve carved out a couple of mini-Euro itineraries, all business class, 3 different European airports that rang up an average of $350 in taxes. The one that had Rome in the mix also had Nice and Barcelona as stopovers, PLUS one intentionally deigned 10hr layover in Geneva, where it is very visitor-friendly for a day-trip into town, so in essence a 4th Euro airport added to the itinerary.

My mini-Euros were redeemed for 90K Aeroplans. Nowadays it’s 110K to the Euro-1 (Western) zone which Rome falls within, so I don’t find the value as good as spending an extra 40K (total 150K) to do a full blown mini-RTW (round the world) itinerary to Asia-1, and you can still add in a European airport as a free stopover but it is a bit of a challenge, and even more so if you aren’t originating in Eastern Canada (YYZ, YUL).

This discussion is turning this thread sideways, but unfortunately people still DO deserve to know that churning Amex MR cards to convert to Aeroplan (1:1), or even directly with the TD/CIBC Aeroplan co-branded Visas, are a usually difficult choice if you have Europe in mind.

Shoot me a PM if you want info on my itineraries. Although I may not reply pronto as I’m currently busy burning up more of our Aero-stash. we are down to the final 350K now, so the end is within sight. :lol:
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9332 upvotes
where I belong
Data point
I did NOT get $200 credit for 2019 at all (neither at 2018 yearend or today)
I guess they'll only come on renewal date now, to prevent "double-dipping"
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9332 upvotes
where I belong
Yes

and to start, check out my Flyertalk thread too

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions - FlyerTalk Forums
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-can ... tions.html
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Oct 10, 2017
210 posts
150 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: Data point
I did NOT get $200 credit for 2019 at all (neither at 2018 yearend or today)
I guess they'll only come on renewal date now, to prevent "double-dipping"
I'm assuming the only way of checking this is by creating a dummy booking? If that is the case then i didn't get the $200 travel credit either.

One thing i am wondering about is my first statement date was March 10, 2018 to April 9, 2018 so will the travel credit appear on March 10 or April 9 in 2019? If it appears on March 10 then why can't you just book and use the credit on March 10, pay off the charge and cancel the card on April 5? If the credit appears on April 9 well then it's time to cancel the card.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
LO5254 wrote: I'm assuming the only way of checking this is by creating a dummy booking? If that is the case then i didn't get the $200 travel credit either.

One thing i am wondering about is my first statement date was March 10, 2018 to April 9, 2018 so will the travel credit appear on March 10 or April 9 in 2019? If it appears on March 10 then why can't you just book and use the credit on March 10, pay off the charge and cancel the card on April 5? If the credit appears on April 9 well then it's time to cancel the card.
Obviously they’d clawback the credit when you cancel, asking for your annual fee to be refunded.
Wealthsimple Premium
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
LO5254 wrote: I'm assuming the only way of checking this is by creating a dummy booking? If that is the case then i didn't get the $200 travel credit either.

In prior years the next year’s $200 travel credit appeared by the last few days of the current year Dec 30-31). Have fun! :D
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Oct 10, 2017
210 posts
150 upvotes
S5 wrote: Obviously they’d clawback the credit when you cancel, asking for your annual fee to be refunded.
My first statement was RECEIVED on April 9, 2018 but isn't the actual anniversary date March 10, 2019? The fee was "applied" on April 9 so i'm wondering if there is a one month lag time between the anniversary date and the day the annual fee is applied.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
2366 posts
1245 upvotes
Is this the best travel card for lounge access, hotels etc? Seems to be quite a complete card
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2010
1321 posts
288 upvotes
toronto
Techiedude wrote: Is this the best travel card for lounge access, hotels etc? Seems to be quite a complete card
The main point of getting these cards imo is the welcome bonus + you can ride the "amex referral train". Given the 75k welcome bonus and what you could do with it the travel parts are "perks". MR points are very flexible (cash credit or AP for a mini round the world trip). So I wouldn't get the card just for "travel" benefits of lounge access. You want it for the points you want to amass for a biz/first trip booked via aeroplan.

But yes If you're an avid traveler who books marriott as you get SPG gold and likes unlimited airport lounge access then yes it could be a good choice. If you want just travel perks there are other cards that offer lounge passes like BMO, but it's limited to 4 i believe.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

adamgump1