None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3747 posts
726 upvotes
Winnipeg

Amex Gold Rewards Card $300 credit/30,000 Aeroplan pts with Supplemental bonus

Effective 2017/9/14 End of Free First Year Annual Fee Now $150 per year from the get go....

Effective July 11th, 2017, this Card is no longer eligible for a referral bonus. You can still refer the Card to your friends and family but you will not earn a referral bonus for any approved referral.

[NOTE: You also cannot earn a referral bonus by referring this card FROM ANOTHER card in the Membership Rewards Family (Platinum, Business Gold, Business Platinum]

As of Jan 15, 2017, offer only for referred signups: An extra 5K for 30K total:

Earn our American Express Gold Rewards Card of 25,000 Membership Rewards points when you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in the first three months of Cardmembership5 and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application6. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points that you could earn! Offer subject to change at any time.

And footnote #6 says:
6. 5,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points will be awarded for one approved Supplementary Gold Rewards Card requested at the time of online application for The American Express Gold Rewards Card. You must apply through the link provided in this communication to be eligible for this Supplementary Card offer. Offer subject to change at any time. Bonus points will be credited to your Gold Rewards Card Account up to 90 days after the application is approved.

Your friend could earn our Gold Rewards Card points offer of 25,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points when they charge $1500 in purchases to their Card in the first 3 months of Card membership. Offer subject to change at any time.*

Check Jerry's Thread for more card offers : jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bo ... e-1685293/

American Express Canada has added a one-time per lifetime Welcome Bonus per card, on this card as well as other cards.

"New As of July 2015 *This offer is only available to new American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers. For current or former American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus. Offer subject to change.

--------------------
:!: Please refrain from soliciting for referrals. Any violators will receive infraction and/or ban. Thank you. - AcidBomber
--------------------

Old terms:
Effective January 11, 2016, this Card is no longer eligible for a referral bonus. You can still refer the Card to your friends and family but you will not earn a referral bonus for any approved referral.
Update May 2016: You can now again receive a referral bonus if you have this card and refer it to a friend and family member (5000 points)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[INDENT][INDENT]Instead of using a referral link, you could apply using a G C R link and get a $50 rebate.

Or ask a family member or friend if they have a Platinum Card, as that one would receive a referral bonus of 25,000 points
[/INDENT]
[/INDENT]

If you are a Platinum Cardholder (Personal or Business, you can get 25,000 points per referral to this or other cards. If you are a Business Gold cardholder, you can get 10,000 points for referring to this card)

DO NOT POST THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A REFERRAL LINK or POST THAT YOU HAVE A LINK TO SHARE... THERE IS A WARNING ABOVE from the MODS
[INDENT]
Card Details:[/INDENT]

25,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points when you charge $1500 in purchases to your Card in the first 3 months [/B]

• Earn 2 points for every $1 in eligible travel purchases charged including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 in eligible gas, grocery and drugstore purchases charged to the Card
  • And earn 1 point for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card everywhere else
  • 1 FREE Supplementary Card - and you can earn even more points, all on your account. (Bonus of 1000 points)
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Membership reward points can easily be transferred 1:1 to Aeroplan / British Airways, plus more partners

Here is the history of bonus redemptions for transfer from Amex to Aeroplan etc
[/INDENT]
[/INDENT]

25000pts = $250 in TripFlex rewards:

• TripFlex™ rewards from Membership Rewards gives you and your points significant flexibility. You can book flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, vacation packages and more. Use a travel agency, tour operator or even an online travel website - it’s your choice. And for redemptions greater than 1,000 points, you can redeem only the points you need to cover the exact charge, and not a point more.
  • Travelling last minute? Don’t worry. You have 3 months from the date your travel transaction is posted to your account to redeem your points online or 12 months from the transaction posting date if you redeem by phone.
  • The minimum redemption requirement is 1,000 points for a $10 credit.
[/B]
[INDENT]
INSURANCE:
[/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]
  • Emergency Medical Insurance: Provides coverage for eligible emergency medical expenses incurred while travelling
    outside your Canadian province or territory of residence, for the first 15 consecutive days of each trip for all insured
    persons under the age of 65.
  • Trip Interruption Insurance: Provides coverage for the non-refundable unused portion of your prepaid travel arrangements,
    as well as transportation up to $1,500 per trip per insured person up to a maximum of $6,000 for all insured persons combined should
    your trip be interrupted or delayed for a covered reason
  • Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance
  • Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance: When you fully charge your airline tickets to your American Express Gold Rewards Card,
    you are covered for loss or damage to your checked-in or carry on baggage and personal effects while in transit for up to
    a maximum of $500 per trip for all insured person(s) combined.
  • Flight Delay Insurance - Charge your airline ticket to your American Express Gold Rewards Card and receive up to $500 coverage
    (aggregate maximum with Baggage Delay Insurance) for all necessary and reasonable hotel, motel, restaurant expenses and sundry
    items purchased within 48 hours when you are delayed or denied boarding for four hours or more and no alternate transportation is
    made available.
  • Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance-Automatic coverage of up to $500 against the loss of most personal items if your hotel/motel is burglarized.
  • $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance- Up to $500,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance covers you, your spouse and
    dependent children under the age of 23 when any of you travel on a common carrier (plane, train, bus or ship) and charge your
    tickets to your American Card. Supplementary Cardmembers, their spouses and dependent children under age 23 are also covered.
[/INDENT]
[/I]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy!

Last edited by canuckcolehead on May 27th, 2013 12:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
4101 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2794 posts
324 upvotes
Alberta
coleworld wrote:
May 27th, 2013 12:34 am

The link above is for 15,000 pts; it is possible to get 20,000 pts.

In case anyone is curious, the 20,000 points is available if somebody refers you. RFD does not allow referral links or requests, so expect your post to be deleted if you ask.

Thread related, I'm pleased with my Amex but ugh the chip is annoying as heck. Amex implemented Chip + PIN late (only in the last couple years) and most stores sale terminals cannot accept their chip. So you have to put your chip in, it'll reject it, then you swipe and sign. Irritating.

The Amex equivalent for Paypass/Paywave is also not widely accepted. In fact the only place I've used it successfully is my local Mcdonalds, and not all Mcdonalds take Amex (apparently).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3747 posts
726 upvotes
Winnipeg
scouzer wrote:
May 27th, 2013 12:42 am

Thread related, I'm pleased with my Amex but ugh the chip is annoying as heck. Amex implemented Chip + PIN late (only in the last couple years) and most stores sale terminals cannot accept their chip. So you have to put your chip in, it'll reject it, then you swipe and sign. Irritating.

The Amex equivalent for Paypass/Paywave is also not widely accepted. In fact the only place I've used it successfully is my local Mcdonalds, and not all Mcdonalds take Amex (apparently).
I find it a little irritating as well, but they are supposedly more secure and terminals are slowly being updated and Amex cards will start to work in more places.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2794 posts
324 upvotes
Alberta
coleworld wrote:
May 27th, 2013 12:51 am
I find it a little irritating as well, but they are supposedly more secure and terminals are slowly being updated and Amex cards will start to work in more places.
While true, Amex was saying the same thing back in 2010. So it's coming, but don't expect much improvement for years.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
I'm still massively happy with my Platinum that I managed to grab just before every Amex became chip-and-PIN so it's literally the last card in my wallet where I don't have to deal with this :)

On the upside, looks like their newer cards have a wireless purchase system (a la Paywave/PayPass), and Petro-Canada is one of the first to adopt it, and it works!
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20498 posts
3167 upvotes
Waterloo
I am surprised it took this long for an "AMEX Gold" thread to show up here :)
but I love the card as well, so the more the better!

I sometimes find AMEX Chip frustrating as well but sometimes you can swipe after # attempts (Home Depot = 3 attempts, SDM just swiped directly, CT swipe only too, etc..)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
jerryhung wrote:
May 27th, 2013 6:36 am

I sometimes find AMEX Chip frustrating as well but sometimes you can swipe after # attempts (Home Depot = 3 attempts, SDM just swiped directly, CT swipe only too, etc..)
Generally, I find that when you insert it it says "Chip unavailable, please use stripe", then you wait a few seconds for it to tell you "please swipe", and then you swipe, and it's done. I've seen it fail when people are in too much of a hurry, and swipe too fast, then the transaction has to be cancelled, etc. etc.

Some of our purchase terminals are from the 16th century. (then again, considering we HAVE chip and PIN, the Americans are about three centuries behind even that).
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10441 posts
1905 upvotes
Kingston
coleworld wrote:
May 27th, 2013 12:34 am
The link above is for 15,000 pts; it is possible to get 20,000 pts.

scouzer wrote:
May 27th, 2013 12:42 am
In case anyone is curious, the 20,000 points is available if somebody refers you. RFD does not allow referral links or requests, so expect your post to be deleted if you ask.

Thread related, I'm pleased with my Amex .
Pseudo Nim wrote:
May 27th, 2013 5:59 am
I'm still massively happy with my Platinum
jerryhung wrote:
May 27th, 2013 6:36 am
Ah so this is really just a thinly veiled offer to refer for points thread where you let people know you have an Amex and hope they get the message that you can refer them?

In that case I am very happy with my Amex SPG card!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
jwl wrote:
May 27th, 2013 8:02 am
ah so this is really just a thinly veiled offer to refer for points thread where you let people know you have an amex and hope they get the message that you can refer them?

In that case i am very happy with my amex spg card!
rofl. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
1771 posts
177 upvotes
The card is worth it for the points but other than that it can't really be your only credit card and with a $150 fee that doesn't make it worth while.

Too many retailers either don't accept it or the machines have problems which mean I need to use my Visa instead, which itself is a $120 fee. For the aeroplan points alone I would find the Amex Gold card better but if people don't accept it than it kinda defeats the purpose. That being said I do have it for another 1/2 year to see if it gets better.
Sep 6, 2010
748 posts
85 upvotes
Waterloo
killuminati wrote:
May 27th, 2013 10:07 am
That being said I do have it for another 1/12 year to see if it gets better.
Not sure if there's gonna be substantial change in a month's time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5078 posts
552 upvotes
in a plane
killuminati wrote:
May 27th, 2013 10:07 am
The card is worth it for the points but other than that it can't really be your only credit card and with a $150 fee that doesn't make it worth while.

Too many retailers either don't accept it or the machines have problems which mean I need to use my Visa instead, which itself is a $120 fee. For the aeroplan points alone I would find the Amex Gold card better but if people don't accept it than it kinda defeats the purpose. That being said I do have it for another 1/2 year to see if it gets better.
I've held an Amex for what, 14 years now, and it's always been the same story. Let me tell you - it won't change :) That said, I still carry it because their service and point program is still the best for what I need, not to mention the benefits that the Platinum card gives. Hell, the Fairmont Platinum status alone pays for the annual fee, hehe.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2500 posts
381 upvotes
GTA
Humm, extra 5K MR points or $50 from GCR, what to do, what to do
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2794 posts
324 upvotes
Alberta
flaming homer wrote:
May 27th, 2013 11:11 am
It depends how much you value Aeroplan points, which that or Avios are probably the best place to put MRs. I personally value Aeroplan at 2 to 3 cents per mile, so the miles would be worth a lot more than the $50, but... YMMV! How punny!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3747 posts
726 upvotes
Winnipeg
flaming homer wrote:
May 27th, 2013 11:11 am
If you can't decide, go for the 20000 points, you can always cash out 5000pts in trip flex for $50 and then transfer the remaining 15000 pts to Aeroplan (or vice versa)