Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Membership Rewards 25% Transfer Bonus to British Airways Avios till 9/30

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2017 1:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22634 posts
4457 upvotes
Waterloo

[American Express] Membership Rewards 25% Transfer Bonus to British Airways Avios till 9/30

Expiry:
September 30, 2015
More offers from American Express
Hat tip to FlyerTalk

Supposed deadline is September 30, 2015
Transfer Points
1,000 Membership Rewards points is equal to 1,250 Avios for a limited time
A minimum of 1,000 points can be transferred to this Participant

Overview
Transfer your Membership Rewards points to Avios points with the British Airways Executive Club. You can use your Avios towards worldwide reward flights, hotel stays and more. You can also use your Avios on qualifying flights with our oneworld® alliance partners.
Best uses of Avios are listed in many blogs, so I'll list them here. I've personally used the short-haul YYZ-northeast USA for only 9000 Avios R.T.!! retail was $350-$400

To start the transfer
1. Go to below URL
Membership Rewards®
http://catalogue.membershiprewards.ca/v ... rticipants
2. Loginto your AMEX MR account, transfer in increments of 1000
3. Wait < 5 days to show up (you can use AwardWallet.com to help track your BA account)
Previous 50% transfer in 2013 March, 2 years ago!!!
AMEX Membership Rewards 50% Transfer Bonus to British Airways Avios, till 3/31 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Avion/American Express/Other partners to Aeroplan/BA/AA point transfer promo history - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

To obtain AMEX MR quickly
Please visit the thread in my signature on getting them via Credit Cards

Ideas
After some more reading and playing around with Avios booking, ex-YYZ in Y/Economy
YYZ-HKG is almost impossible to find on CX
YYZ-LAX is 25K RT + $58 fee on AA, decent availability
YYZ-MIA is 20K RT + $58 fee on AA, decent availability
YYZ-ORD/JFK/LGA is 9K RT + $60 fee on AA, open availability
JFK-YVR is 25K RT on CX, 75K RT on CX J/Business

Flight distance are for EACH separate segment in your itinerary and not for the itinerary.
You can use www.gcmap.com to calculate the approximate miles

You can book Avios on Alaska Airlines (AS) and fees ($30) MAY be waived as it's not doable online

How to book
You book flights via British Airways website @ https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca/ex ... ding-avios

See Destinations on a Map - http://wandr.me/Award-Search/Avios-Map/
Calculate Avios miles between A and B - http://wandr.me/avios-calculator/

Timeline:
I transferred on 1st day 6/25, saw the points (125%) in BA today 6/29
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
88 replies
Aug 15, 2013
191 posts
103 upvotes
Westmount
I've never understood how you book a reward flight with Avios. Do you go on British Airways' website?
Jan 11, 2006
497 posts
228 upvotes
After devaluation, business class is triple the cost of economy so YVR-JFK is now 37.5k on CX. Still good for economy class bookings though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8436 posts
2775 upvotes
Toronto
Thanked. Now also like to learn if it is worth doing transfer of amex points to this, or still to aeropeso.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22634 posts
4457 upvotes
Waterloo
Eithay wrote:
Jun 25th, 2015 5:49 pm
I've never understood how you book a reward flight with Avios. Do you go on British Airways' website?
Yes, I've included the link in my OP
you book via British Airways website
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1236 posts
638 upvotes
Montreal
Nothing really good for North America economy out of YUL with Avios sadly :(
May 27, 2008
319 posts
130 upvotes
thanks OP! have been waiting for 2 years for a special conversion!

now time to get rid off the 150$ AMEX...
May 26, 2011
122 posts
5 upvotes
RICHMOND
Is converting to avios better than aeroplan?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22634 posts
4457 upvotes
Waterloo
marcuslo721 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2015 6:58 pm
Is converting to avios better than aeroplan?
It's up for you to decide
Oneworld vs. Star Alliance
Your destination?
Choice of airlines?
how many miles we're talking about

Diversify between programs if you can (ie. you have enough miles), otherwise focus on one (IMO, Aeroplan is more useful for North America departures)
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4548 posts
1245 upvotes
Eithay wrote:
Jun 25th, 2015 5:49 pm
Here is some info: http://themilesprofessor.com/2013/04/23 ... nes-miles/

Reading all her travels on pts and others here inspired me to get into the churning game.

Flyertalk is another source of great info. If you google the topic, I am sure you will find others.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4548 posts
1245 upvotes
When is the deadline to do the bonus transfer? TIA!
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20685 posts
144489 upvotes
GTA
jerryhung wrote:
Jun 25th, 2015 8:06 pm
It's up for you to decide
Oneworld vs. Star Alliance
Your destination?
Choice of airlines?
how many miles we're talking about

Diversify between programs if you can (ie. you have enough miles), otherwise focus on one (IMO, Aeroplan is more useful for North America departures)

Isn't Aeroplan insane for fees though? I was looking for a Toronto to New York flight (i.e. any airport) and the fees were significantly higher on AC than on AA or DL for example...
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4208 posts
290 upvotes
Very tempting, as you can transfer from BA Aveos to Iberia after at 1:1 and Iberia has super low fees...
Hmm...
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4548 posts
1245 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2015 8:44 pm
When is the deadline to do the bonus transfer? TIA!
Found it.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/68776
———————————————————————
Membership Rewards Canada: 25% Bonus For Transfers Into British Airways Avios
This promotion applies for Canadian cards only. Through 09/30, transfers from Membership Rewards Canada to British Airways will be at a 1K:1.25K ratio.
This promotion does not apply for transfers from US based AMEX Membership Rewards cards.

If Sept 30 is correct, that's a lot of time to do the transfer. I will have about 200k MR pts very soon. :D I have about 200k avios already so have to figure out if I want to convert all my MR pts. Lots of time to decide and do some serious research though.

Edit: I just called amex to confirm the promo and deadline is Sept 30. Amex rep knew nothing about this and said to contact BA avios for confirmation.
Mar 10, 2007
845 posts
341 upvotes
Now a days it's very hard to find availability for short haul flights like YYZ to ORD or JFK etc. If you use BA for reward to Europe or Asia their Fuel surcharge and taxes are almost close to buying a ticket .

Since last year BA Avios announced lots of promotions like RBC Avion transfer 50% bonus points (3 promotions in last 12 months). USA Amex points transfer 40% bonus points . Now everyone transferred their points to Avios and it's impossible to find availability.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)