Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

Membership Rewards 25% Transfer Bonus to British Airways Avios till 9/30

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2017 1:36 pm
Jan 12, 2014
151 posts
215 upvotes
TORONTO
aerohead888 wrote: Re AMEX Chrun: This time I didn't get a Gold Amex to transfer my points to. I'm totally cut off from AMEX with hopes that it will delete my travel profile and allow to to use the $200 travel credit twice this year (once under my old card and once under my new card later this year when I reapply).
... you passed on 50,000 Membership Reward Points (15k self-referral bonus to Gold, 25k sign-up bonus for gold, 10k self-referral bonus to Platinum) in hopes that you might get an extra $200 travel credit? 50k MRs is worth $500 alone even if you just use it as travel credit through the TripFlex option.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2008
1034 posts
1076 upvotes
Ottawa
Ravidel11 wrote: ... you passed on 50,000 Membership Reward Points (15k self-referral bonus to Gold, 25k sign-up bonus for gold, 10k self-referral bonus to Platinum) in hopes that you might get an extra $200 travel credit? 50k MRs is worth $500 alone even if you just use it as travel credit through the TripFlex option.
I don't think that you can refer from Platinum to Gold can you? And when I'm ready to get my Platinum again, I'll get my wife to refer so she will get those points. I also got the new BMO World Elite card a few months ago.... much better points accrual.. 2% on all purchases as opposed to 1.25 on the Platinum or 1.00 on the Gold. And I got the CIBC Business AeroGold a couple of weeks ago. Not to mentioned the TD Aeroplan Infinite late last year.... should probably check by credit score at some point.
Mar 26, 2009
161 posts
29 upvotes
If you live out west, Avios miles are great for using on Alaska airlines. You can't book online, you have to call them to book. See http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -airlines/

For example, you can get round trip from Bellingham/Seattle to Hawaii for 25k Avios, which is only 20k Amex points with the promotion. Much better deal than Aeroplan which is 45k to Hawaii from North America.

Even better, the taxes are only $6 each way, and you can cancel the ticket up to 24 hours before and only forfeit the taxes.
Apr 24, 2007
166 posts
4 upvotes
Greater vancouver
Thank you so much for the info. :D
jgoeders wrote: If you live out west, Avios miles are great for using on Alaska airlines. You can't book online, you have to call them to book. See http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -airlines/

For example, you can get round trip from Bellingham/Seattle to Hawaii for 25k Avios, which is only 20k Amex points with the promotion. Much better deal than Aeroplan which is 45k to Hawaii from North America.

Even better, the taxes are only $6 each way, and you can cancel the ticket up to 24 hours before and only forfeit the taxes.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1656 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
Guys Amex Gold can transfer Aeroplan and British Airway Avios. I notice lots of available flight (dozen a day) to Major USA Cities while British Airway has almost none (well possible 3-5 months advice).
So My question is ...What contribute your decisions transfering Amex points to British Airway Avios instad of Aeroplan points. Yes I also notice that the Taxes in British Airway (Major USA Cities) are much less than Aeroplan. But the
flexibility to travel US cities is far better using Aeroplan.
Thank you.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10593 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
It really depends where you are, and where you're going.

It's a lot easier to book the Cathay YVR-JFK than AC's YVR-EWR flight, and Cathay would be cheaper with the promo.

AC/UA doesn't have that many flights from YVR to the US, it's comparable to Alaska/AA/US Airways
Sep 26, 2006
26 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
BA.com is having problems showing AA redemption availability. Should have an update early next week is what I heard.
I heard that if you are able to find a MileSAAver availability on aa.com, that should be redeemable using Avios.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6609 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
bichoo wrote: BA.com is having problems showing AA redemption availability. Should have an update early next week is what I heard.
I heard that if you are able to find a MileSAAver availability on aa.com, that should be redeemable using Avios.
no wonder I can't find AA flight at all. if I call in, not sure if the agent will be able to find AA flight or not?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26762 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
bichoo wrote: BA.com is having problems showing AA redemption availability. Should have an update early next week is what I heard.
ricedion wrote: no wonder I can't find AA flight at all. if I call in, not sure if the agent will be able to find AA flight or not?
Yes, flyertalk has 10+ threads on this and should have newest updates if any

Workaround is find MileSAAver availability on AA.com, call BA agent (they MAY see the availability as well, but no guarantee) to book with Avios and ask them to waive the fees
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
1048 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Can I book multiple reward flights for family members and myself using one Avios account? For example, if I have 27k points, can I redeem for 3 round-trip flights to New York for the same flight?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1581 posts
511 upvotes
silverferrari wrote: Can I book multiple reward flights for family members and myself using one Avios account? For example, if I have 27k points, can I redeem for 3 round-trip flights to New York for the same flight?
Yes you can book for anyone u want.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26011 posts
211305 upvotes
GTA
jerryhung wrote: and looks like AA flights is bookable again on BA Avios website, woo hoo!
Thanks. I may end up booking a flight from LGA to YYZ instead as unfortunately there still are no other options that will work for me from JFK.

People who have transferred between NYC airports before, is 4.5 hours too tight for a transfer from JFK to LGA? Unfortunately the next flight after that makes it a 9 hour layover, that's why I'm asking. Also, I've looked around and is the cheapest/easiest way to get there NYC Airporter ($13 USD per ticket)?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
Somehow I've never bothered to look into transferring points from AP to Avios an reading some comments from the thread in hotdeals about appletv redemption got me interested in looking into this :) So ere is a map that shows all avaiable routes from YYZ and points required. I think it's good for NE US flights or to Chicago area.

[IMG]https://www.evernote.com/shard/s596/res ... Routes.JPG[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26762 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
TorontoEh wrote: Somehow I've never bothered to look into transferring points from AP to Avios an reading some comments from the thread in hotdeals about appletv redemption got me interested in looking into this :) So ere is a map that shows all avaiable routes from YYZ and points required. I think it's good for NE US flights or to Chicago area.

[IMG]https://www.evernote.com/shard/s596/res ... Routes.JPG[/IMG]
You meant AMEX MR -> Avios, yes?
since one cannot transfer from Aeroplan (AP) -> Avios

anyway, the problem is AA not showing availability often, so no easy short-haul redemptions like YYZ-LGA/JFK/ORD even

Useful Avios Destination Map is in my OP
http://wandr.me/Award-Search/Avios-Map/
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
jerryhung wrote: You meant AMEX MR -> Avios, yes?
since one cannot transfer from Aeroplan (AP) -> Avios

anyway, the problem is AA not showing availability often, so no easy short-haul redemptions like YYZ-LGA/JFK/ORD even

Useful Avios Destination Map is in my OP
http://wandr.me/Award-Search/Avios-Map/
Yes meant Amex MR to Avios :)
May 22, 2010
226 posts
10 upvotes
If i'm in Asia next year for 5-6 months do you think its a better idea to switch my AMEX MR (about 30,000) points to Aeroplan or Avios with this 25% deal? This is in terms of redeeming inter-Asia flights. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10593 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
inter asia 1 aeroplan has some of the best rates - 20k for economy and 30k for business is a steal, as long as you stay north of Singapore.

If you intend to go to Phillipines, Malaysia or indonesia, it's considered Asia 2 on Aeroplan and thus Avios is better there.

But frankly, you're nearly always better off just booking the low cost carriers you need. Jetstar, tiger air, Air Asia are all very cheap for short haul