• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1004 posts
539 upvotes
I have both AMEX personal platinum and business platinum, and received both welcome bonuses.
I thought it might be a good idea to call and cancel one of them and try to get partial refund of Annual fee as it's only been like 4 months.

Do you guys think this is worth it?
I just don't see the point of having both cards open.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
ESJExplorer wrote: I have both AMEX personal platinum and business platinum, and received both welcome bonuses.
I thought it might be a good idea to call and cancel one of them and try to get partial refund of Annual fee as it's only been like 4 months.

Do you guys think this is worth it?
I just don't see the point of having both cards open.
You mean both cards were just opened recently, 4 months ago? You'll get a stock answer from Amex that you won't get a pro-rated refund because you got a welcome bonus. But good luck trying...I seem to recall one or two people got away with it anyways.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Oct 31, 2005
702 posts
268 upvotes
Hi there,

I saw on the OP that the Business Platinum get Priority Pass lounge SELECT access (self + 1 guest, unlimited entry), but for the regular Platinum it's just the regular lounge?

I took a look at the web page and can't see anything on that. Any experts here can advise? https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... inum-card/
Mar 8, 2006
682 posts
212 upvotes
ryyeung wrote: Hi there,

I saw on the OP that the Business Platinum get Priority Pass lounge SELECT access (self + 1 guest, unlimited entry), but for the regular Platinum it's just the regular lounge?

I took a look at the web page and can't see anything on that. Any experts here can advise? https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... inum-card/
There is no difference in terms lounge eligibility and access between Biz Plat and Personal Plat. Thanks
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26762 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
so before Biz Plat renewl comes up, I referred to Business Edge to earn one last 25K referral (probably won't hit the $5K MSR on Edge with $99 annual fee)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: so before Biz Plat renewl comes up, I referred to Business Edge to earn one last 25K referral (probably won't hit the $5K MSR on Edge with $99 annual fee)
LOL!

I'm sure you remember it too, JH. This is what people were doing with the Biz Plat's 25K referrals to Personal Gold (25K/FYF). Then Amex stopped allowing Personal Plat AND Business Plat (and while we're at it, throw in the Biz Gold) from referring to a Personal Gold anymore.

People also did the 25K exploit by referring to the Biz Gold, when it was 40K/FYF with no intention to try and meet its $5K MSR. So Amex stopped making the Biz Gold FYF, and now it costs $250/yr.

Probably will see same/similar action by Amex on the Biz Edge, eventually. And the beat goes on...
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Oct 31, 2005
702 posts
268 upvotes
fortune88 wrote: There is no difference in terms lounge eligibility and access between Biz Plat and Personal Plat. Thanks
Thanks, so to confirm, only the CARDHOLDER can go into the lounge for either card, nothing for the spouse or whatever, right?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7370 posts
9170 upvotes
Montreal
ryyeung wrote: Thanks, so to confirm, only the CARDHOLDER can go into the lounge for either card, nothing for the spouse or whatever, right?
If you are referring to Priority Pass lounges, it is the cardholder plus one guest, for both the Platinum and Business Platinum cards.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
efrant wrote: Yes. You can see the T&C's for the Biz Platinum here: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/b ... tinum-card
Ok, didn't know if there was a separate AMEX Global Lounge Collection link for the Biz Platinum ... now I see the Global Lounge deets are in the general T's & C's

#6, #31 to #34

Much easier to digest, via the AMEX Global Lounge Platinum Card Benefit link :)

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1562 posts
1010 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
I recently got my first Amex Platinum business. I'm hook up on points accumulation. I'm want to refer someone. I understand that the Biz Plat is the better choice. Is there any risk to hold 2 business cards on the same household for Amex? Can it raise flags from Amex?
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
JFRACINE wrote: I recently got my first Amex Platinum business. I'm hook up on points accumulation. I'm want to refer someone. I understand that the Biz Plat is the better choice. Is there any risk to hold 2 business cards on the same household for Amex? Can it raise flags from Amex?
No. I have done it and personally held multiple Biz cards at the same time. My only advice would be to refer them to something other than Biz Plat now i.e Edge...stagger your apps so they get Plat around when yours ends....that way you have lounges/better referral bonus abilities for longer compared to if you both got the Biz Plat right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1562 posts
1010 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
RolandCouch wrote: No. I have done it and personally held multiple Biz cards at the same time. My only advice would be to refer them to something other than Biz Plat now i.e Edge...stagger your apps so they get Plat around when yours ends....that way you have lounges/better referral bonus abilities for longer compared to if you both got the Biz Plat right now.
Its a good idea but there's always a risk that the referral bonus or the welcome bonus might change in the future. And i will probably keep my Personal Platinum so i will keep lounge access.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7370 posts
9170 upvotes
Montreal
For the personal Platinum card: if using a referral link, you now get 70k MR after $5k MSR (60k MR on hitting MSR and 10k after keeping the card open for six months).
Sep 14, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Offer is now 60k for non ref 3k MSR and 70k (60k + 10k after 6mo as mentioned above) for 5k MSR with ref
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
efrant wrote: For the personal Platinum card: if using a referral link, you now get 70k MR after $5k MSR (60k MR on hitting MSR and 10k after keeping the card open for six months).
Risky for churners of personal plat not getting WB?
Aug 25, 2019
114 posts
91 upvotes
Business credit cards from Amex do not typically ask for your SIN when you apply don't they?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
guanin2999 wrote: Business credit cards from Amex do not typically ask for your SIN when you apply don't they?
No credit card application requires you to give your SIN. It's always optional and it's to find your credit file more easily.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)