Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Amex SPG Credit Card – First Year Free and 15,000 Starpoints Bonus Points

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2014 3:04 am
Jan 24, 2012
9 posts
12 upvotes
Grise Fiord, Nunavut…

[American Express] Amex SPG Credit Card – First Year Free and 15,000 Starpoints Bonus Points

More offers from American Express
Amex Bank of Canada and Starwood Hotels & Resorts are running a promotion until March 30, 2012 whereby the annual fee ($120 for personal cards and $150 for business cards) is waived for the first year and 15,000 Starpoints Bonus Points are granted. This is a great deal since this is enough points for up to 4 free nights.

The Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide chains are:
- Sheraton
- Westin
- W Hotels
- Le Méridien
- Four Points by Sheraton
- Element by Westin
- Aloft 'vision of W Hotels'
- The Luxury Collection
- St. Regis

Link: http://www.americanexpress.com/canada/e ... =100033974

Accoring to the Amex / SPG site:

The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express:
- Earn 15,000 Welcome Bonus Starpoints – enough for up to 4 nights
- Receive your First Year Free when you apply by March 30, 2012. Enter RSVP Code "15000".

Card Benefits:
- Earn 1 Starpoint for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card.
- Enjoy a Free Weekend Night Awarwhen you reach $40,000 in purchases each year.
- Experience Starwood Gold Preferredd Guest status when you reach $30,000 in purchases each year.

Starwood Preferred Guest Program Rewards:
- Redeem Starpoints for Free Nights with no blackout dates at over 1,000 of the world's most desired hotels in nearly 100 countries.
- Use Starpoints for flights on over 350 airlines with no blackout dates with SPG Flights.
- Experience once-in-a-lifetime events with SPG Moments.
- Plus more extraorindary benefits.

Additional Privileges of Card Membership:
- Enjoy a broad range of travel insurances such as $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance, and Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance, plus more.
- Get Front Of The Line access to tickets for some of the most popular concerts, theatre, shows and special events.
- Enjoy the flexibility to pay balances in full or over time.
156 replies
Nov 29, 2006
175 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks OP. Been waiting for this so that I can renew my card.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1121 posts
153 upvotes
how do these compare to the aeroplan reward system?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2003
1017 posts
50 upvotes
Anyone with experience applying for both personal and business cards together?
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
3834 posts
284 upvotes
North York
To qualify for the 15,000 Bonus Starpoints, you must have at least $3,000 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2012
9 posts
12 upvotes
Grise Fiord, Nunavut…
The number of Starpoints required for an overnight stay depends on the "Category" of the hotel and resort.

Category 1 hotels are mid-priced, full-service hotels and resorts. You will need 2,000 Starpoints for a free weekend night and 3,000 Starpoints for a free night during the week at a Category 1 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 1 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=1

Category 2 hotels are full-service hotels and resorts in exciting destinations throughout the world. You will need 3,000 Starpoints for a free weekend night and 4,000 Starpoints for a free night during the week at a Category 2 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 2 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=2

Category 3 hotels are full-service hotels and resorts in premium destinations and major cities worldwide. You will need 7,000 Starpoints for a free night at a Category 3 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 3 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=3

Category 4 hotels are superior hotels and resorts in choice locations. You will need 10,000 Starpoints for a free night at a Category 4 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 4 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=4

Category 5 hotels are an elite assembly of hotels and resorts in the most exclusive destinations. Depending on the season, you will need between 12,000 or 16,000 Starpoints for a free night at a Category 5 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 5 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=5

Category 6 hotels are the world's most exclusive hotels and resorts, each one reflecting the unique characteristics of its surroundings for an unparalleled travel experience. Depending on the season, you will need between 20,000 or 25,000 Starpoints for a free night at a Category 6 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 6 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=6

Category 7 consists of Starwood’s uber hotels and resorts offering awe-inspiring surroundings in some of the world’s most spectacular destinations. Depending on the season, you will need 30,000 or 35,000 Starpoints per night for a free night in a standard room at a Category 7 hotel. Click on the link for a complete list of the Category 7 hotels and resorts.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferred ... goryCode=7
Nov 29, 2006
175 posts
10 upvotes
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 2:00 pm
To qualify for the 15,000 Bonus Starpoints, you must have at least $3,000 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date.

Where do you see that? When I click the note, it just says ,000. I assumed it was 1,000.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10043 posts
1608 upvotes
Kingston
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 2:00 pm
SmartazzAzn wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 2:36 pm
Where do you see that? When I click the note, it just says ,000. I assumed it was 1,000.

You're right. It is $1,000. Some versions of the page say ,000. Some say $1,000.

This card has been around almost a couple of years and has been discussed as long in this thread, so you can find most answers there. This deal was actually posted there 9 days ago but I guess we should have posted it here too!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5038 posts
535 upvotes
Montreal
SPG is convertible to Aeroplan at 1:1, right? Or is it 2:1?
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
Aug 27, 2007
43 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Pseudo Nim wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 3:15 pm
SPG is convertible to Aeroplan at 1:1, right? Or is it 2:1?

1:1 and I think they still have the promo going where if you transfer 20,000+ you get a 5,000 point bonus so 25,000 would pop up in your aeroplan account
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5038 posts
535 upvotes
Montreal
So basically this would be a 50,000 aeroplan mile bonus if both cards signed up for.

HELLO MORE AMEXES!!!!!! :D

[edit] err there's 30K points off this promo, plus 6K of spend, but whatever, another 4K can be found somewhere.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2003
4296 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Is it possible to apply via GCR? I just tried, and I don't see to find a field for me to enter the 15000 RSVP code.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SmartazzAzn wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 1:38 pm
Thanks OP. Been waiting for this so that I can renew my card.

How's that work?

Do you mean re-apply for a card you previously had and then cancelled, or you mean get them to waive the annual fee on a card you've already got?

I have an existing AMEX SPG that I plan to cancel before my next renewal date because I can't justify paying $120 a year anymore.

Thanks.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Nov 29, 2006
175 posts
10 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 4:26 pm
How's that work?

Do you mean re-apply for a card you previously had and then cancelled, or you mean get them to waive the annual fee on a card you've already got?

I have an existing AMEX SPG that I plan to cancel before my next renewal date because I can't justify paying $120 a year anymore.

Thanks.

Cancel my SPG from the last promo, and apply for this one.
× < >