Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
4 upvotes

Amsterdam in August

I am thinking of visiting Europe for the month of August and thinking about spending a week in Amsterdam.

What would be the best bargain, most adventurous deal?

Any past experiences?

TIA
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7191 posts
174 upvotes
BC
Book hostel/hotel early.
insert witty comment
Feb 28, 2002
557 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
manixc wrote:Book hostel/hotel early.
Definately recommend booking early. This is the place to go for booking online: http://hostelworld.com/

A week just in Amsterdam though? Might be a bit much, but all depends on what your plans are there though. If your intentions are just to visit a few museums (heinekin brewery is best 5 euros spent!) and take advantage of the great pot, mushrooms, etc you can do all that in 3-4 days and spend some more time elsewhere in europe.
Sep 14, 2003
63 posts
yes book early, i made the mistake of spontaneously taking the train there and ended up sleeping in the park for the first night. Its a wonderfully charming city but i think you'd have your fill of it after a few days. Visit the Rijksmuseum, take a canal cruise....peruse the cannabis menu in a coffee shop....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
gadgetgirl wrote:yes book early, i made the mistake of spontaneously taking the train there and ended up sleeping in the park for the first night. Its a wonderfully charming city but i think you'd have your fill of it after a few days. Visit the Rijksmuseum, take a canal cruise....peruse the cannabis menu in a coffee shop....
don't forget the red light district, anne frank house, and the van gogh museum.
Back for a limited engagement.
Sep 14, 2003
63 posts
15-20_God wrote:don't forget the red light district, anne frank house, and the van gogh museum.
absolutely! and the torture museum if your especially courageous.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
65 upvotes
gadgetgirl wrote:absolutely! and the torture museum if your especially courageous.
my favourite though was the Heineken Experience.
Back for a limited engagement.
Nov 17, 2003
133 posts
i have been to amsterdam twice in the last 10 months ( i love the coffeeshop scene too much i think) if you're planning on staying in a hostel i'd suggest teh flying pig downtown www.flyingpig.nl it's the best hostel u can find in amsterdam.. no curfew and pretty laid back. if you are into coffeeshops check out Dampkring one of my fav coffeeshops, rokerij , barney's , blue bird ( it's a bit far from the downtown area but def. worth the trip) if you wanna eat and drink go to leidseplein. nyways enjoy amsterdam here is my pics of both my trips to amsterdam

http://www.samthedude.ca/gallery/amsterdam
http://www.samthedude.ca/gallery/amsterdamdeux

p.s: WATCH OUT FOR THE F'IN TRAMS AND BIKES
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Was there last week. Walking is an adventure in itself with the trams/bikes everywhere... always watch where you are going regardless of the colour of the traffic light.

The Van Gogh Museum is ok, kinda small though.
Feb 25, 2004
474 posts
175 upvotes
not to thread hog but can anyone recommend a good hotel between 80-120 euros /night w private bath?

I have a few in mind

hotel nadia
hotel hegra
impala hotel

any suggestions would be appreciated

Kyfe