Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
ancestry.ca

Ancestry.ca - Lowest DNA sale of the year 40$ off DNA kit ( April 24 - April 30)

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2018 12:16 pm
Apr 15, 2009
318 posts
325 upvotes
toronto

Ancestry.ca - Lowest DNA sale of the year 40$ off DNA kit ( April 24 - April 30)

Price:
$89
Savings:
45%
Retailer:
ancestry.ca
Received email from ancestry.ca ( I'm subscribed to monthly updates from them) stating:

Lowest DNA sale of the year
Get ready for the lowest DNA sale of the year! Come and celebrate DNA Day with Ancestry and get $40 off a DNA kit. Sale starts April 24. No other information is available.
I suspect it will be on their site at the time. not sure if it's targeted. Doesn't seem to be.
I assume on April 24th this is where this will be available:

https://www.ancestry.ca/dna/
Last edited by mstefa on Apr 19th, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
164 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
This is one path I am not going down. Nobody is getting my DNA without a warrant and without my consent, anyway.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Why do people give out their most important personal info to a commercial entity ? They should pay us .... even so I personally will not do that ..... Strange world ....
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2955 posts
2331 upvotes
Calgary
I have always been intrigued by these tests but like the earlier posters I am quite hesitant to have some random company holding my DNA (and the results).
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18402 posts
9704 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
BinaryJay wrote: This is one path I am not going down. Nobody is getting my DNA without a warrant and without my consent, anyway.
+1
Apr 15, 2009
318 posts
325 upvotes
toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: +1
wow.. Paranoia central here! Enjoy your privacy gents. This was for posted for the others, not you.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1472 posts
1175 upvotes
Montreal
READ THEIR TERMS... They can turn over your DNA to the authorities if they are subpoenaed and for use in "research". Considering the breaches of privacy by large companies, think twice about having any corporation holding a DNA sample that can identify you.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Imagine a world where Google, Microsoft or Amazon has decided to acquire Ancestry.ca.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Imagine a world where Google, Microsoft or Amazon has decided to acquire Ancestry.ca.
Hmmm ... What if it's not an imagination any more .....
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
mstefa wrote: wow.. Paranoia central here! Enjoy your privacy gents. This was for posted for the others, not you.
While I do agree with you; this is worth watching

It's obviously fiction but probably not to far away. People get paranoid for many reasons but DNA is a weird one; couldn't anyone with nefarious intentions just pull your DNA off a coffee cup, door handle, strand of hair etc.. etc..
Or they might just be afraid someone will plant their DNA in a crime scene lol
Last edited by lleb13 on Apr 19th, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 31, 2016
121 posts
158 upvotes
Most countries have laws that they can’t discriminate against you based on DNA. People are just overly paranoid in my opinion.

This is great if you are adopted and want to find your birth family. I gave this DNA kit to a family member and they were able to match them to all their cousins that took the test (they give you the option to share your information or not). This could also have the opposite effect and you could find out your parents aren’t who you think they are lol.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5510 upvotes
randomroyalty wrote: READ THEIR TERMS... They can turn over your DNA to the authorities if they are subpoenaed and for use in "research". Considering the breaches of privacy by large companies, think twice about having any corporation holding a DNA sample that can identify you.
Could the authorities not just get a court order (or whatever the proper term would be) to get the DNA directly from you anyway?
Last edited by tietherope on Apr 19th, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 18, 2016
70 posts
87 upvotes
Great deal OP. I had my DNA sequenced by 23andme, and then further processed it with promethease, now I'm able to provide information to healthcare practitioners that would increase success of treatment in any situation - for example if I needed antidepressants, it turns out a certain class of them are nearly useless due to my genetics. This information could be life saving, in my humble opinion.

This is valuable to anyone who wants to understand things about themselves, especially at the lowered price point. Anyone who is concerned about their privacy, just don't buy it? It's not like Facebook where you're caught in a dragnet. If you want to discuss semantics, pay a visit to general discussion forum
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1472 posts
1175 upvotes
Montreal
tietherope wrote: Could the authorities not just get a court order (or whatever the proper term would be) to get the DNA directly from you anyway?
In Canada they can, but keep in mind your DNA is protected from foreign interests. Ancestry.com/ca holds your DNA in the U.S, which is what is worrisome to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1472 posts
1175 upvotes
Montreal
Antidisestablishmentarianism wrote: Great deal OP. I had my DNA sequenced by 23andme, and then further processed it with promethease, now I'm able to provide information to healthcare practitioners that would increase success of treatment in any situation - for example if I needed antidepressants, it turns out a certain class of them are nearly useless due to my genetics. This information could be life saving, in my humble opinion.

This is valuable to anyone who wants to understand things about themselves, especially at the lowered price point. Anyone who is concerned about their privacy, just don't buy it? It's not like Facebook where you're caught in a dragnet. If you want to discuss semantics, pay a visit to general discussion forum
The flipside: Insurance companies have been known to deny coverage or not cover certain genetic diseases as "pre-existing health conditions" based on DNA samples.

While ancestry.ca is rather transparent and respectful of privacy, I would be extremely wary of 23andme, where their terms state they own your DNA and can sell it.

Since there is so much money to be made by profiling large segments of populations for targeting purposes, take the time to read the fine print to know exactly what rights you are giving up.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3689 posts
4303 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: This is one path I am not going down. Nobody is getting my DNA without a warrant and without my consent, anyway.
You're beating on a dead horse, give it a rest already. DNA is cheap and widely available - EVERYWHERE - and you likely give an identified sample several times a year to clinics, many of whom are private and simply contracted by the government. Furthermore, you can anonymize yourself when purchasing from ancestry using a pre-paid credit card and any name you please. Whenever a thread on this subject pops up, it's like people forget what was already discussed, including Ancestry's policies, the fact that you can request to destroy your sample as well as existing and upcoming government regulations. So if you find yourself wearing a tinfoil hat often, you should probably not click on these threads to begin with.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Apr 19th, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
For Sale:
May 6, 2014
156 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
randomroyalty wrote: READ THEIR TERMS... They can turn over your DNA to the authorities if they are subpoenaed and for use in "research". Considering the breaches of privacy by large companies, think twice about having any corporation holding a DNA sample that can identify you.
They don't know who you are and where you are from.

You can just create a fake account with a fake name, fake address and fake email address. Ease up on the conspiracy theory people.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Just an FYI, this can be used against you on an insurance claim.

Example is you check off that you are not aware of any history of diabetes in your family, yet these show someone in your family had it 60 years ago, you are screwed.

DNA sites likes these are made by insurance companies for a reason.
Apr 15, 2009
318 posts
325 upvotes
toronto
OlegF23278 wrote: I just checked... it's 129$.
umm.. as I said : Get ready for the lowest DNA sale of the year! Come and celebrate DNA Day with Ancestry and get $40 off a DNA kit. Sale starts April 24.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)