• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 10:18 am
[OP]
Jul 14, 2012
12 posts
6 upvotes
BURLINGTON

Ancestry.ca subscriptions - good deal?

I've done the DNA test and I'm thinking about getting the World Deluxe Membership, which is currently 30% off ($130 for 6 months). My question for everyone is have you ever gotten a better deal than this (say, 50% off?) or is 30% off the best I'm going to do?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3586 posts
538 upvotes
Are there any good use cases for this or is it for entertainment? I never had the urge to track my ancestry.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Jul 14, 2012
12 posts
6 upvotes
BURLINGTON
Entertainment for me. If you're not interested then I can't see it holding any value for you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5544 posts
3130 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
recordman wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:23 pm
Are there any good use cases for this or is it for entertainment? I never had the urge to track my ancestry.
Entertainment / hobby... researching your own family history is indeed quite interesting
But something that I have found interests people the older they get
When you start to begin to think about your own legacy
Then you want to naturally know more about the bigger picture
And those that came / went before you and their lives

The cool thing is, most family trees are endless... so you can become quite entrenched in the process
Going right back thru the tree’s mainline... or exploring off shoots

Not unusual according to Ancestory to have members who have literally traced back thru 1000s if not tens of 1000s of records

Lol, and if your ancestors lived in a small town, or came from a particular region ... it’s not unusual to find that seemingly EVERYONE there & their ancestors appear in some way on your own family tree
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2756 posts
2262 upvotes
Vancouver
30% off is about as good as you are going to get, I've never seen it cheaper.

If you have the time there's a lot you can do with the 2-week free trial. I had the DNA test done in the summer and built my family tree during the free trial, which gives you access to Canadian records, plus access to ancestor matches in other Ancestry users' family trees who have made them available to other users. I was able to use this and trace my family ancestry back to the middle ages.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)