• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 2:51 am
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Android Canadian English

I had to factory reset my Android phone running 7.0. Now on my Quick Settings screen, Flashlight has been rename Torch and Airplane Mode has been rename Aeroplane Mode. I am fairly certain this was fine before I reset it. Checking on my old phone running 5.1, it is set for Canadian English and has the labels I'm used to.

I can change the 7.0 phone to US English to get the labels I'm used to. Any idea why Canadian English gives me the British English labels? Anyone know a workaround (other than using US English)?
11 replies
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Both are Moto G - the old one is version 1, the new old with the issue is version 4.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10875 posts
907 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Did you have a previous version of Android installed, then upgraded to 7.0, keeping user data intact? Don't know if this might have been the difference.

I'm running some stock German ROM, 5.1.1, and Canadian English says Torch.

Anyways, I recommend Search Light. Besides turning on the LED, it lets you toggle the camera on/off, which makes it easier if you drop your keys in the dark.

EDIT// Sorry, my mistake. The Quick Settings icon is indeed Flashlight. I was thinking of the Sony pre-installed app, which is named Torch.
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
" ... previous version of Android installed". I am fairly sure that was no android update while I did the factory reset.

My memory may be failing me but I think I had this before and there was some preference setting somewhere (which is how I got my old phone to use the "Flashlight" and "Airplane" labels IIRC) and keep Canadian English. I spent some time on the weekend searching the web for it but couldn't find it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10875 posts
907 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I mean that the phone originally came with Android 6 or something, upgraded to Android 7, and then you did the reset.
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That's quite possible. I may just keep it on US English then - I was thinking/hoping I may have missed something easily correctable that caused this. Not something I want to spend much time on, especially if it is something specific to Android 7. Doesn't sound like many others have this issue as my web searches don't find much discussion of it.

One thing I did remember yesterday is that the old phone (version 1, android 5.1, Canadian English = "Flashlight" label) was bought in Canada. The one I'm having problems with (version 4, android 7.0, Canadian English = "Torch" label) was bought in the US. I did the factory reset in Toronto if that matters.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29045 posts
4174 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would keep it with the Queen’s English. I hate it when the spell check removes the u from colour, neighbour, and cheque is labeled as incorrect.
Sep 27, 2003
9261 posts
2114 upvotes
Newmarket
This has been an issue since Android 7 unfortunately and is not device specific.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
[OP]
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
"I hate it when the spell check removes the u from colour, neighbour, and cheque is labeled as incorrect."

Me too, which is why I want to use Canadian English. But to me a torch is something they open the Olympics with. When the power goes out and I need to find my way around in the dark, I use a flashlight. I used to have it the way I wanted before I did the factory reset.

Thanks WorldIRC. Maybe I should just live with it as is until the next update, or the next phone, whichever comes first.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12938 posts
2472 upvotes
London
MikeVTO wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 11:56 am
Me too, which is why I want to use Canadian English. ..
I thought in earlier versions of Android, text to speech doesn't work properly unless the language is set to US English

i.e. Google maps says "turn right in 300m" vs "turn right on Yonge St in 300m"
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10875 posts
907 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
MikeVTO wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 9:04 am
One thing I did remember yesterday is that the old phone (version 1, android 5.1, Canadian English = "Flashlight" label) was bought in Canada. The one I'm having problems with (version 4, android 7.0, Canadian English = "Torch" label) was bought in the US.
Different countries do have customized ROMs. Well, even different networks in the same country can have different ROMs. So it is possible, but don't know how likely.

BTW, awhile back, I was setting up an HP printer for my uncle. For some reason, the driver wouldn't let me change the default setting of A4 paper, and I was going nuts. Turns out I had to choose US in order to get lettersize. Morons at HP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)