• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 9:30 pm
[OP]
Feb 24, 2016
54 posts
13 upvotes
Montréal, Québec

Android Forums app 1.6.2

We've just released the Android Forums app version 1.6.2 to the Beta channel. Some of the new features include:
  • Added the ability to create device shortcuts to forums and threads on Android 8+. Find it in the overflow menu.
  • Support for Android 8 adaptive icons and notification channels. You can now customize how notifications appear via the system's app settings screen.
  • Support for showing inline images and tap to view external images. A new setting allows you to only download externally hosted images on wifi, in which case you'll need to tap to view the image, or to always download external images regardless of network.
  • Support for embedded YouTube videos. Clicking on the video thumbnail will open the YouTube app.
  • Tap a user's profile to display a mini profile dialog. You can then view their full profile or send them a private message.
  • You can now also view your full profile and edit most of the settings in the app.
  • The private messages screen is now embedded in the app.
  • Removed the ability to down vote on thread replies. Web will do the same soon.
  • Bug fixes and performance improvements.
We hope you enjoy this new release! If you're interested in trying out these features before they move to the public channel, please join the Beta program via the About screen shown below.

Thanks.
Images
  • Screenshot_20171013-093447.png
5 replies
[OP]
Feb 24, 2016
54 posts
13 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
We just launched 1.6.3! This version let's you edit your own profile and view a thread's voting breakdown.

It's currently in beta and should be made publicly available in a few days.

Please check it out. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Nov 2, 2014
12 posts
10 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Thanks for the app. I would like to see: amoled black mode, hide post feautre, swipe from post back to forum navigation
[OP]
Feb 24, 2016
54 posts
13 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
kroovy wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:07 pm
Thanks for the app. I would like to see: amoled black mode, hide post feautre, swipe from post back to forum navigation
Swipe left for back is really an iOS thing. There's dark mode in settings, is that not the same? For now any posts you hide on web will also be hidden in the apps, but not sure when you'd be able to hide via apps.

Thanks.
Nov 2, 2014
12 posts
10 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Hey thanks for the reply! Indeed but many Android apps have it and do it well. See Sync for Reddit as a good example. I find it a lot more natural than having to move my finger down to push the back button. The dark mode is not the same as black. Black is another dark mode but instead of gray it is pure black, which looks good in AMOLED screens and also saves battery. Looking forward to seeing future updates!
[OP]
Feb 24, 2016
54 posts
13 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
kroovy wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:22 pm
Hey thanks for the reply! Indeed but many Android apps have it and do it well. See Sync for Reddit as a good example. I find it a lot more natural than having to move my finger down to push the back button. The dark mode is not the same as black. Black is another dark mode but instead of gray it is pure black, which looks good in AMOLED screens and also saves battery. Looking forward to seeing future updates!
But if you swiped left to go back, how would you open the drawer menu? AMOLED mode might work but then it wouldn't make use of Android's built-in setting, which is supposed to listen to the device mode (those that support night mode) and let the app automatically use it as well.