• Nov 9th, 2018 1:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10923 posts
5095 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Android OTG USB question

I have an Android Radio Head Unit on 7.1.1 and I updated ES File Explorer so it could read NTFS USB's attached to the OTG cable, which it does now.

After a cold boot, I get this, both "USB2002" and "SD card" are the same thing, the attached USB stick.

The HU can fast boot if it's within 48h so when I restart the vehicle, strangely "SD card" disappears. It doesn't matter if I re-plug the USB stick or try another.

I can still access the USB contents via USB2002, the problem I'm having is the steering controls work off reading "SD card". I don't have root access to the HU so I'm stuck with certain controls and default apps.

Anyone know how to keep "SD card" from disappearing?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Why are you using NTFS? Try FAT32. Unless you have large movie files, there is no need for NTFS

I’m curious, what head unit is that? Is it standard equipment? What’s the make and model of your car?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10923 posts
5095 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Gee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:15 am
Why are you using NTFS? Try FAT32. Unless you have large movie files, there is no need for NTFS

I’m curious, what head unit is that? Is it standard equipment? What’s the make and model of your car?
Yes, I have the occasional movie file for my kids that's >4GB, saves me converting them down.

It's sold by Phoenix Automotive, I got it in a group buy for $550US, works great, HVAC/steering controls. Much better sound than the crappy Tundra OEM HU (anything is lol) comparable to Alpine iLX-F309 per one of my friends. Harness connects to the factory GPS so the digital speedo is accurate, my analog is off 6% on larger tires and I don't want to buy a Hypertech calibrator.

Carplay capable:

Homescreen with speedo, access to my apps including stock Radio, Spotify, Waze (and TomTom local maps when I don't want to use data as Google maps expire):

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10923 posts
5095 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Gee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:15 am

Just tried FAT32, contents visible on cold boot, but loses and does not see USB drive contents on fast boot. “SD card” disappears (not sure why it’s calling it that anyway). This wasn’t the behavior prior to updating ES File Explorer and I can’t roll back without root.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:50 am
Just tried FAT32, contents visible on cold boot, but loses and does not see USB drive contents on fast boot. “SD card” disappears (not sure why it’s calling it that anyway). This wasn’t the behavior prior to updating ES File Explorer and I can’t roll back without root.
Can you not delete ES File Explorer?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10923 posts
5095 upvotes
Southern Ontario
No, I can't seem to change the default file manager first either. I can install other file managers and use them, same thing happens, it loses "SD card" after I replug the stick or restart the truck. There's no answer in my group so I thought I'd start asking here, and maybe XDA.