• Jun 22nd, 2017 12:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 3, 2011
93 posts
22 upvotes

Android Pay

Sorry if there has been a post about this before, but I could only find the apple pay one.
Though it hasn't been announced, the payment terminal at the subway by my work shows the Android pay logo on the screen of the terminal (there was an apple pay logo as well). Didn't have time to sneak a screen shot. Wondering if other people have seen it as well? Could mean it is coming soon!
278 replies
May 17, 2012
291 posts
88 upvotes
Montreal
You're not the only one, saw this on twitter : https://twitter.com/tylerrochwerg/statu ... 6481142787

I'm hoping it's coming soon but have not heard or read anything recently that would point towards this (and I read a LOT of Android news/forums on a daily basis).

Only speculations that if Australia now has it, Canada shouldn't be far behind (which is a 100% subjective).
Sep 1, 2015
64 posts
12 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
on reddit someone mentioned seen Android Pay logo from certain Canadian subway pos terminals
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3806 posts
943 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Seen it at my local Subway for a month or more now, I think, but I've never had an Android.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2011
93 posts
22 upvotes
bennyboy84 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 9:02 am
You're not the only one, saw this on twitter : https://twitter.com/tylerrochwerg/statu ... 6481142787

I'm hoping it's coming soon but have not heard or read anything recently that would point towards this (and I read a LOT of Android news/forums on a daily basis).

Only speculations that if Australia now has it, Canada shouldn't be far behind (which is a 100% subjective).
Yes there's a pretty big thread on r/Android. I don't know if you use payments.google.com but the design of that site changed recently and now looks like the us version. Could be readying for launch.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18658 posts
1077 upvotes
clapper wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 12:45 pm
You can now do contactless payment with your AMEX on eligible Android devices.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... index.html
HOLY CRAP AWESOMESAUCE!
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Sep 3, 2011
93 posts
22 upvotes
RBC, TD and Ugo has had this functionality. To be honest, the more of these proprietary services are available, the less likely Android Pay will actually make it here.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5832 posts
305 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 8:56 pm
HOLY CRAP AWESOMESAUCE!
Indeed. Thanks for the heads up. Added to my phone.

I don't use my AMEX for anything anymore, but it's nice to know that if I misplace or forget my wallet while I'm out, I might still be able to pay for stuff with my phone until either Android Pay or Samsung Pay is available in full in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1704 posts
243 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
bennyboy84 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 9:02 am

Theoretically all tap terminals will support it. Just like Apple Pay was supported in Canada long before it even came here. Someone coming from the US can use Android Pay and any of the terminals here and it will work.

However, it is the banks that need to play ball to really get it here and I don't believe we have seen many rumours of that.
Nov 16, 2003
30 posts
5 upvotes
Android Pay now works in Canada with Scotiabank cards (Debit, credit). I had side loaded the Android Pay APK in October and have been getting regular updates from the Play Store for Android Pay. Added 2 Visa and 1 debit card. Finally.....
Mar 23, 2004
34641 posts
2634 upvotes
Markham
Glad to hear that it's finally working. Now if BMO can get it that would be great. I am willing to unroot my phone in order to use this (hiding root from apps does not work with nougat yet afaik).
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Sep 1, 2015
64 posts
12 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
thanks so much for the update!