None
Feb 17, 2017
161 posts
69 upvotes
Calgary
ace604 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:46 pm
The jargon is fine.

When you pay at the pump you have to choose a max amount to authorize. It works like this for tapping cards or Apple Pay.

I've never paid super-close attention to different gas station's setups to remember if there are any that are choose amount first then tap or if they are all tap, then amount.

(either way the final charge can be less if you stop pumping earlier)

So what you are saying is EMV needs a specific auth amount? It can't be the final amount. Hmmm... some gas stations just always auth $200 by default ... those ones you wouldn't be able to distinguish the tech easily then.

Anyways ... so ... does it seem like Scotia mobile cards don't support MSD tap?

Why would they restrict the mobile card but not the physical card?
EMV requires some kind of transaction amount before tapping (and must be above the actual authorization, so authorizing 100$ and only charging 10$ is fine). The only exception in the US, where merchants can give the card or device any random amount (But this means some security protection is lost).

Visa didn't like the user experience of MSD transactions on mobile cards, as its possible to prompt a signature and how is a merchant supposed to check a signature when a device is used. They weren't bothered about it in US as no one checks the signature anyway.
Sep 24, 2013
404 posts
207 upvotes
Ontario
My Scotiabank Visa/Debit just got accepted by android pay?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16235 posts
1047 upvotes
Woodbridge
I didn't know it was finally available in Canada until I read the thread.

Anyways, I love it. My S8+ just needed to be awake, no need for any finger print. I didn't even needed to unlock it worked from lock screen.

I love. I will change my S8 too and will only use SAMSUNG pay for promotions.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1187 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
Tried my S7 with screen on(not unlocked) at LCBO and it didn't work, tried it at Foodbasics with phone unlocked(home screen) and it worked .
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7281 posts
2296 upvotes
ON
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 10:23 pm
What phone are u using? Wish I can do that for stock android...
LG V20. I believe the option was there on my old Nexus, just not a quick toggle.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2256 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 6:10 pm
EMV requires some kind of transaction amount before tapping (and must be above the actual authorization, so authorizing 100$ and only charging 10$ is fine).
Since PetroCan was mentioned before, this what I've noticed. If you put your Visa chip card in they ask for your PIN, then it puts up the $200 or other amount. If you choose other amount, you enter the amount then it asks for your pin a second time. If you tap your card, it asks you to accept the pre-authorization of $100 or other amount.
Dec 29, 2012
413 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Krispy1 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 7:10 pm
Tried my S7 with screen on(not unlocked) at LCBO and it didn't work, tried it at Foodbasics with phone unlocked(home screen) and it worked .
S7 with screen on (not unlocked) worked at Loblaws.
Aug 16, 2010
253 posts
35 upvotes
Would love to try it but nothing accepted. No PC debit, CIBC debit does not work, Desjardins business no go, Capital one no go.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1846 posts
207 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 10:23 pm
What phone are u using? Wish I can do that for stock android...
You can do that in stock android, its under NFC. What version of Android are you on?
Sep 24, 2013
404 posts
207 upvotes
Ontario
Deal Grabber wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 8:06 pm
You can do that in stock android, its under NFC. What version of Android are you on?
I think he meant on the drop down menu. I use "NFC shortcut" to put an icon on my main screen for quick access.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1846 posts
207 upvotes
I was referring to the slider in settings, but yeah no toggle button like on Samsung devices.
Mar 23, 2004
36004 posts
3165 upvotes
Markham
Deal Grabber wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 12:03 am
I was referring to the slider in settings, but yeah no toggle button like on Samsung devices.
Well that's the only place you can turn it off/on so I know about that for sure. I guess everyone is fine leaving it on as AP has been in the States since 2015.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2202 posts
198 upvotes
I can confirm that CIBC Visa Debit can now be added to Android Pay. Just used it at Petro Canada as well.