• Nov 17th, 2017 10:36 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 8, 2008
716 posts
66 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 1:50 am

When you say "Visa mobile cards" where are you getting this info? Are you basing it off experience with Scotia or other Visas?
ace604 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:46 pm

Anyways ... so ... does it seem like Scotia mobile cards don't support MSD tap?

Why would they restrict the mobile card but not the physical card?
I can corroborate everything that CanadianSpruce has said regarding EMV vs. MSD contactless payments etc. from my own work experience.

Visa wants MSD contactless to die. Plain and simple. They are slowly updating their rules to limit its use (it will be gone for good in Europe by October 2018). In Canada, since 98-99% of Visa-accepting contactless terminals accept EMV mode (called qVSDC by Visa), not supporting it in mobile devices is a step in that direction. The only contactless terminals I have really seen here that do not support qVSDC are gas pumps (Petro-Canada mainly), some vending machines, and some parking meters.

Here is a reference to this in Visa's operating rules: https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/ ... public.pdf

Bottom of page 172/top of 173, last row of Table 4-19. Effective for Canada as of 31 December 2015, support for MSD:

For a a Contactless Payment Device that is not a Visa Card, not permitted for tokenized Transactions.

Since Apple and Android Pay use tokenisation, MSD is not permitted. It is still allowed (but not required) to be supported on physical cards.
Mar 23, 2004
36357 posts
3288 upvotes
Markham
Haps13 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 4:00 pm
Would love to try it but nothing accepted. No PC debit, CIBC debit does not work, Desjardins business no go, Capital one no go.
PC/CIBC debit should work now. Dejardins should be working too but Cap1 def not supported atm.

EDIT: Just checked: Desjardns Business is not supported, as well as PC Debit.

Source: https://support.google.com/androidpay/a ... ic=7351519
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1681 posts
23 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 11:28 pm
PC/CIBC debit should work now. Dejardins should be working too but Cap1 def not supported atm.
I've tried adding my PC Debit Card to Android Pay using my LG G4 (running Android Marshmallow 6.0) - but with no success..

How did you get yours to work?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Mar 23, 2004
36357 posts
3288 upvotes
Markham
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote:
Jun 10th, 2017 1:40 am
I've tried adding my PC Debit Card to Android Pay using my LG G4 (running Android Marshmallow 6.0) - but with no success..

How did you get yours to work?
I didnt (will never use debit card for payments), i thought it would work as CIBC debit is working already.

Anyway check here to find the banks/cards that are working/not working with AP: https://support.google.com/androidpay/a ... ic=7351519
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1630 posts
252 upvotes
PC Mastercard worked for me at Loblaws and no frills. But do you have to tap once for points and another time for payment?
Sep 24, 2013
413 posts
209 upvotes
Ontario
UNDFTDss wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 7:41 am
PC Mastercard worked for me at Loblaws and no frills. But do you have to tap once for points and another time for payment?
Points do not work with Android Pay tap yet. You need to use your card or pc plus app.

SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR PC PLUS® MEMBERS

You will continue to earn PC® points for every $1 spent on your PC Financial Mastercard. However, at this time, in order to keep earning PC points from PC Plus personalized digital offers and on-shelf offers at Loblaw stores you must tap or scan a separate valid PC Plus device (i.e. your PC Plus card, key-fob, app or plastic PC Financial Mastercard or debit card) PRIOR to paying with Android Pay. Therefore, you will need to scan or tap twice during the transaction; first to capture your PC Plus membership with a valid PC Plus device and second with your Android Pay to capture your payment information.
Mar 23, 2004
36357 posts
3288 upvotes
Markham
UNDFTDss wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 7:41 am
Yes, i do that also when i shop at SDM.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
2881 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone know when MBNA (now owned by TD) is supposed to jump on the Android Pay train ? They're slow..
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3106 posts
492 upvotes
GTA
Ahzuz wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:07 pm
Anyone know when MBNA (now owned by TD) is supposed to jump on the Android Pay train ? They're slow..
I'm guessing not any time soon considering they're not even on Apple Pay yet either.
Sep 24, 2013
413 posts
209 upvotes
Ontario
Ahzuz wrote:
Since TD is not adopting Android Pay right now, I'm pretty sure that MBNA won't either.
Mar 23, 2004
36357 posts
3288 upvotes
Markham
Ahzuz wrote:
Dave98 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:21 pm
I'm guessing not any time soon considering they're not even on Apple Pay yet either.
buddshek wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 2:22 pm
Since TD is not adopting Android Pay right now, I'm pretty sure that MBNA won't either.
+1, they probably invested too much in their ugo wallet to move away.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Mar 23, 2004
36357 posts
3288 upvotes
Markham
Last night I was able to use AP with the phone being locked (but awake) at KFC. As mentioned, all the other times I was required to have the phone awake and unlocked. This is strange stuff...
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Jan 19, 2017
456 posts
124 upvotes
I don't see any benefit of using Android or Apple pay except not carrying the plastic cards in your wallet. The only benefits is to Apple or Android which the credit card companies has to pay a commission for every transactions we use. Actually we the users will be the losers since credit card companies will charge a higher fee to merchants or give the credit card holders a lower reward to compensate the charges they have to pay to Android or Apple.
That is why I would never use neither pay systems.
Feb 17, 2017
193 posts
91 upvotes
Calgary
ml88888888 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 5:23 pm
I don't see any benefit of using Android or Apple pay except not carrying the plastic cards in your wallet. The only benefits is to Apple or Android which the credit card companies has to pay a commission for every transactions we use. Actually we the users will be the losers since credit card companies will charge a higher fee to merchants or give the credit card holders a lower reward to compensate the charges they have to pay to Android or Apple.
That is why I would never use neither pay systems.
The merchant doesn't pay anything extra to take a mobile payment. The bank pays a fee to the mobile wallet provider.

One big advantage to regular contactless is once setup properly you can make mobile payments for any amount but unfortunately most Canadian terminals arnt consumer device verification enabled yet (not sure why it's been so slow to roll it out in Canada, other countries have rolled out much quicker).
Jan 19, 2017
456 posts
124 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 6:22 pm
The merchant doesn't pay anything extra to take a mobile payment. The bank pays a fee to the mobile wallet provider.

One big advantage to regular contactless is once setup properly you can make mobile payments for any amount but unfortunately most Canadian terminals arnt consumer device verification enabled yet (not sure why it's been so slow to roll it out in Canada, other countries have rolled out much quicker).
Not directly. Do you think the bank would like to pay and not recover that cost from the merchants? The merchants would pass the cost to the consumers when the banks charge them.