Tags:
None
Nov 25, 2014
503 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Android Phone Under $150

Hi All

I am looking for an Android phone under $150.

So far I've come across the following options/deals that I have liked -

Moto G for $128 on Chatr Prepaid at Walmart
ZTE Grand X Staples Unlocked $99
Alcatel Pop Icon Telus Prepaid $99 at Best Buy
ZTE Grand X 2 from Bell Prepaid $149

Could you guys shed some light on these devices (pros and cons). Or perhaps suggest other (fairly mainstream) options. Essentially, I'm looking for a 5", decently performing phone with LTE preferably. Intend to use with Koodo.
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Going to be hard to find a Chatr/Fido moto G lte at Walmart.
You might still find the koodo moto g, but that version isn't LTE capable

Most stores are carrying the moto e instead now
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
The Huawei Ascend P1/P2 is pentaband and can be found for 100$.

Dual/Quad core arm7 CPU with Android 5.1 support.

I wouldn't suggest it if you're inexperience with Android phones though.

Battery life on this is ridixously long too. I get over 12hours of screen on time while running gaming benchmarks while over clocked to 1.5ghz

Nexus 4 is also a good choice if you can find a good price on it
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2518 upvotes
Halifax
board123 wrote: Those phones are all crap. Order a Ubro M1 from China.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Ubro-M1- ... 48897.html
Recommending a phone with no practical warranty, which you have to buy in the other end of the world, and does not even work well in most of Canada. And it does not even meet the OP's price point! Your definition of crap is clearly different from mine!

OP: I would go for a Moto G, because that phone has 2 of the most important things covered, the quality of the screen, and the life of the battery. The other phones you mentioned falls way short in those points. Lack of LTE is not a real liability in Canada. 3G is easier on the battery, and no one has the quota to fully enjoy LTE anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
OP I'm with bridonca your better getting a phone that has Koodo 3G bands.
In fact HSPA should fast enough in terms of smartphone usage.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
The other main problem with the koodo moto g (xt1032) is also the lack of a micro sd slot. The 8gb max memory is fairly limiting

The fido/chatr version of the moto g (xt1040) has LTE, micro SD (32gb max) and AWS/wind/mobilicity capability
It's about the same price if you can locate one , so its much preferred over the koodo version

The replacement moto e has LTE, micro SD and AWS, but poorer screen and camera/ no flash
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
If you can swing another $100, go for the Asus Zenfone 2 16gb. 5.5" screen, unlocked, compatible with all Canadian providers incl Wind and Mobi.
Nov 25, 2014
503 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sounds like Moto G (Fido/Chatr) would be the best option out of these but you guys are right that it would be really hard to find one at Walmart. I will definitely not be ordering a phone from China so that option is out. Going to research the The Huawei Ascend P1/P2. Meanwhile, any feedback on the ZTEs/Alcatel ?
Nov 25, 2014
503 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Where can the Huawei Ascend P1/P2 be purchased from? Also, what is the return policy on prepaid phones purchased without activating a line?
Dec 25, 2011
271 posts
199 upvotes
Hamilton
I really like my ZTE Grand X 2, but you have to keep in mind that you might not get long-term support (although it was already patched for Android's stagefright bug). I'd have a hard time EVER recommending a phone without at least 2 GB of RAM now, so the Moto G is a tough sell at any price.
Jun 8, 2015
281 posts
49 upvotes
funkland
I'd suggest a Xiaomi Note 2 if you want something with good built quality. I think its being sold for 125$ usd, though will take a while to ship.
Nov 25, 2014
503 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto, ON
meowman9000 wrote: I'd suggest a Xiaomi Note 2 if you want something with good built quality. I think its being sold for 125$ usd, though will take a while to ship.
How can i check the band compatibility for Xiaomi phones? Where do you see this price?
Jul 5, 2011
180 posts
16 upvotes
OTTAWA
For an extra $30, Moto E 2nd Gen at Staples
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
jg2011 wrote: For an extra $30, Moto E 2nd Gen at Staples
Bestbuy has the Moto E 2nd gen on Telus is on sale for $129.99 this week. Should work with Koodo with a Koodo sim card. I am planning to do this with a Telus Moto G 1st gen that I bought a few weeks ago. Using $80 in PC points, I paid the GST in cash from RCSS.

Dave
Nov 25, 2014
503 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jg2011 wrote: For an extra $30, Moto E 2nd Gen at Staples
DavidY wrote: Bestbuy has the Moto E 2nd gen on Telus is on sale for $129.99 this week. Should work with Koodo with a Koodo sim card. I am planning to do this with a Telus Moto G 1st gen that I bought a few weeks ago. Using $80 in PC points, I paid the GST in cash from RCSS.

Dave
How is the Moto E 2nd Gen better than the Grand X? On a quick glance it seems like both phones have very identical specs. Moto E has a 4.5" screen vs Grand X's 5". Am I missing something?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)