Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16122 posts
3583 upvotes

[Android]Sygic Offline GPS Navigation|World$85US->$63.74USD

EDIT: WARNING! This app is about the most useless GPS app I've used. See post #47 for details
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/android- ... st16884424
It's so bad that I'm going to request a refund. If that doesn't work, I have screenshot proof that it's useless and will be filing a dispute with Paypal and/or my credit card.

tl;dr http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

I had the website open in another window when Failfox crashed and reloaded it. Apparently a bunch of locations are on sale.
I'm kind of on the fence to buy it because I've purchased CoPilot live in the past and it's TERRIBLE. Plus Google Navigation is free (and awesome). Sure it uses data, but anyone who's anyone has 6GB/$30 nowadays and if you're in a different country, most offer reasonable data plans.

So if anyone has used this, please comment on how well it works. I'm going to test the trial out and see for myself, but I have no idea how long the same lasts until.

EDIT: North America seems to be dead. World edition is still live.
25% off discount code: 1458554694429
54 replies
Dec 31, 2010
757 posts
121 upvotes
I dont like sygic
Maybe for Europe theyre ok, but for Canada they were pretty obtuse - like it would calculate most unsensible route possible. Sure at the end of the day you wont "get lost" with it, but I wouldnt trust them completely.
Their interface is also way over the top, Navigon all the way.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4126 posts
570 upvotes
Dt
Sygic is still nothing compared to iOS's Navigon. But at ~$13 for US maps, I'd probably pull the trigger.

There are truly no good Android offline GPS apps. (Android Navigon is worse than Sygic).
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1143 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
No Korea or japan wth ?!
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16766 posts
3100 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Just get a $50 garmin and keep it in your bag and get 10X better offline GPS? Don't have to do everything on your phone just because you can. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10411 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Still using iGo on Windows Mobile and Google Maps on Android. I've "tested" Navigon and Syngic before and I didn't like it...
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1109 posts
315 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone know the best and cheapest Android GPS app out there? New to android....always used GPS Drive on iPhone...was free and loved it. I dont care about offline maps, but open to any suggestions. Thanks! :)
Jun 4, 2011
144 posts
32 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Revblonde wrote:
May 27th, 2013 8:09 pm
Anyone know the best and cheapest Android GPS app out there? New to android....always used GPS Drive on iPhone...was free and loved it. I dont care about offline maps, but open to any suggestions. Thanks! :)
Google's Navigation / Maps. Built into most android phones.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
BenK wrote:
May 27th, 2013 7:26 pm
Sygic is still nothing compared to iOS's Navigon. But at ~$13 for US maps, I'd probably pull the trigger.

There are truly no good Android offline GPS apps. (Android Navigon is worse than Sygic).
I've tried Navigon, Sygic and copilot. Navigon on both iOS and Sygic all offline as I didn't have data until 2 weeks ago.
Sygic has the most comprehensive offline POI out of the bunch, but Navigon has absolutely no roundabout routes. On Sygic, I've encountered 2 locations in Toronto, and Thunder Bay where they asked me to go the long way instead of the short way.
In terms of voice directions, all are about par, not much difference (I find many of the Navigon voices grating though).
I'm a stickler for "smooth" GPS navigation, eg I hate it when GPS apps update the on screen location every 5 meters, instead of continuously like on NFS :) . Sygic is also the best for that.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
3131 posts
645 upvotes
Revblonde wrote:
May 27th, 2013 8:09 pm
Google navigation.
You can also sellect and save map area if you know that there is no celular/data signal
available.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1360 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Does it include future updates?

I went to New York with NavFree using the free preloaded maps, and it was okay for the most part. Yes, it was completely offline. I had to fudge the final destination a little though because it wouldn't let me enter the street number, but I got within a residential block of where I needed to be, so it was okay.

Want to know what advantages this has over that.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
34266 posts
6250 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
May 27th, 2013 7:43 pm
Just get a $50 garmin and keep it in your bag and get 10X better offline GPS? Don't have to do everything on your phone just because you can. :)
What is the cheapest model with lifetime maps and traffic, if it works outside North America? Probably need an sd slot for extra maps?
Jul 28, 2007
42 posts
26 upvotes
I use NavDroyd for my Android. The program itself is pretty junky and its searching stinks but I got it because I wanted a cheap offline GPS system and while the open source maps aren't always going to be reliable, they always have enough mapped out that you won't get lost. For the $5 I've been happy with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1274 posts
246 upvotes
Sygic got me to and from NYC last year and I can give it a thumbs up. Like any GPS though, you've got to set your route preference properly which can give you an unexpected route. I made the mistake of letting it plot shortest distance instead of fastest time and ended it with a scenic drive through the small towns of NY. But on the way back, I chose fastest time and it properly took us on the highways instead.
× < >