Computers & Electronics

Android TV Box - AV/HDMI output simultaneously?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2016 6:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2004
5124 posts
1194 upvotes

Android TV Box - AV/HDMI output simultaneously?

I'm thinking of buying an MXQ Pro+ android box that has an AV output. I would like to use the AV output to connect the box to my computer speakers and the HDMI to connect to my TV. Has anyone tried this on an android TV box and does it work?

FWIW this is the box I'm looking at buying: http://www.********.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_354314.html
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1858 posts
229 upvotes
rahzel wrote: I'm thinking of buying an MXQ Pro+ android box that has an AV output. I would like to use the AV output to connect the box to my computer speakers and the HDMI to connect to my TV. Has anyone tried this on an android TV box and does it work?

FWIW this is the box I'm looking at buying: http://www.********.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_354314.html
In theory alone my guess would be you cannot run two sources through the box?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2675 upvotes
Vancouver
Can't say about the MXQ Pro+, but I can tell you that the AV output on the MXQ doesn't work, even though they all come with an AV cable. The composite video output is stuck in PAL mode, and the firmware function to switch to NTSC mode got lost along the way somewhere. There's no sound on the analog stereo audio outputs, and no way to enable it. I researched it extensively online, but there's apparently no solution. The explanation from suppliers is "it was probably supported in the original prototype way back 2 years ago, but everybody has HDMI now, so they haven't bothered to test the AV output for a long time". But they still ship it with the AV cable and advertise that it has an AV output because that's part of the standard package. This is the standard of testing and support that you can expect from Chinese media players. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5510 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
It works on S805 box - but its such a pain to watch in low res (because it will reduce your hdmi output res as well - AV cable only supports 320 mostly. 640 at most on certain). Its better to spend extra $10-$20 and get a splitter and then output it to the way you want.
For Sale:
  • DSLR Slider
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
8988 posts
1739 upvotes
Winnipeg
doubtful since it can't be done on the rpi either which auto senses quite well between the 2 display options.
Banned
May 10, 2016
7 posts
If you have an option on the box for Audio (switch between A/V or HDMI) then I guess it can be done. Haven't used these boxes so can't let you know.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16819 posts
4634 upvotes
You'll have to use an HDMI splitter and then a composite converter on one line...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25219 posts
5472 upvotes
You'll need something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/AGPtek%C2%AE-SPDI ... B00TOBFSTE

For the L/R output it's only going to work with stereo PCM but I'm guessing that's all you'll ever find with the ol' "Android TV box" so shouldn't matter.

I recommend you throw in the towel on "Android TV boxes" anyway, as I'm guessing the HDMI device above probably costs more than the "TV box" did to begin with, lol.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2004
5124 posts
1194 upvotes
Just thought I'd post an update. I tested this on an MXQ Pro and it worked without needing a splitter or anything. I simply plugged my computer speakers into the AV port and it output audio to both my TV speakers (HDMI) and my computer speakers simultaneously. I didn't even have to change any audio settings.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
8988 posts
1739 upvotes
Winnipeg
rahzel wrote: Just thought I'd post an update. I tested this on an MXQ Pro and it worked without needing a splitter or anything. I simply plugged my computer speakers into the AV port and it output audio to both my TV speakers (HDMI) and my computer speakers simultaneously. I didn't even have to change any audio settings.
I think we all went off original topic on this one and figured you meant dual display with video output thru both digital hdmi and analogue. Your talking about just dual audio support with out analogue display.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
146 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: Can't say about the MXQ Pro+, but I can tell you that the AV output on the MXQ doesn't work, even though they all come with an AV cable. The composite video output is stuck in PAL mode, and the firmware function to switch to NTSC mode got lost along the way somewhere. There's no sound on the analog stereo audio outputs, and no way to enable it. I researched it extensively online, but there's apparently no solution. The explanation from suppliers is "it was probably supported in the original prototype way back 2 years ago, but everybody has HDMI now, so they haven't bothered to test the AV output for a long time". But they still ship it with the AV cable and advertise that it has an AV output because that's part of the standard package. This is the standard of testing and support that you can expect from Chinese media players. :)
Ditto for the M8
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
14207 posts
3244 upvotes
Markham
works for TVPad 2, TVPad 4 and HTV 3 boxes
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2004
5124 posts
1194 upvotes
lead wrote: I think we all went off original topic on this one and figured you meant dual display with video output thru both digital hdmi and analogue. Your talking about just dual audio support with out analogue display.
My bad, I should have been more clear that I simply wanted the audio from the AV port.
Newbie
Aug 23, 2016
6 posts
JamesA1 wrote: The composite video output is stuck in PAL mode, and the firmware function to switch to NTSC mode got lost along the way somewhere.
Do you have the link that discussed about this issue? I would like to learn more about this. When you said the composite video output is stuck in PAL mode, I gather you were talking about the PAL mode[/i] was set in the Linux kernel configuration during compilation. If so, do you know what Linux kernel source file handles this PAL/NTSC mode?

For the firmware function to switch to NTSC mode got lost along the way somewhere, I suppose you meant there is an Android software package that can change this default PAL mode. If so, do you know the name of this Android software package?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)