Computers & Electronics

Android TV Box: watching foreign channels for free without satellite dish?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2013 8:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1233 posts
520 upvotes

Android TV Box: watching foreign channels for free without satellite dish?

A family friend mentioned to my parents recently they bought something called an MX android tv box that allows them to watch foreign tv channels for free without a satellite dish.

Let me first say I know nothing about android TV or much about digital channels.

I was wondering if anybody knows about this device, if it is legal and how it actually works? (I'm assuming channels are streamed directly to this device?).

(oh and I have googled info on this, but no specific information I could find).

I think this may be the product in question

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-Best ... 93820.html
Always hungry ;)
10 replies
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
Basically you use a program called XBMC. It's on PC as well so you can try it out on there, it's actually much less stable on Android atm. You don't need to buy a $90 player, you can get a $40-50 android on a stick as well. Download and install XBMC on there and the needed XBMC plug-ins to watch whatever you're going to watch.

It has other add-ons such as 1channel.ch (if you go on this site, you'll see pretty much every tv show or movie listed though the domain name is now primewire.ag). You can watch it on your PC through a browser and this plug-in lets you watch it on any device with XBMC.
It takes an ocean not to break
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1233 posts
520 upvotes
RawG23 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2013 3:33 pm
you might want to call this guy, and he'll be able to explain it a lot better...check the ad and the number is there...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z490348581
I am actually looking more for a beginner's guide to read up on how this all works but I will bookmark the link thanks!
I have watched this video on youtube earlier, but as a total noob it sort of confused me and didn't explain how to watch foreign channels. Thanks though.
Nettles wrote:
Jul 8th, 2013 4:04 pm
Basically you use a program called XBMC. It's on PC as well so you can try it out on there, it's actually much less stable on Android atm. You don't need to buy a $90 player, you can get a $40-50 android on a stick as well. Download and install XBMC on there and the needed XBMC plug-ins to watch whatever you're going to watch.

It has other add-ons such as 1channel.ch (if you go on this site, you'll see pretty much every tv show or movie listed though the domain name is now primewire.ag). You can watch it on your PC through a browser and this plug-in lets you watch it on any device with XBMC.
Awesome, this is the explanation I'm looking for. So basically, If one of these android units come with xbmc installed, I only need to download these 'plugins' to watch channels? Is it very complicated to install these plugins or simple as just dragging and dropping the files onto a thumbdrive? Do you know of any xbmc android tv boxes that come with the plugins preinstalled or are these available only from custom built/modded units?

Are there other specific plugins you know of that allow you to watch foreign TV channels legally for free? I checked out the 1channel.ch but I don't suppose that's legal is it?
Always hungry ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1233 posts
520 upvotes
Ok I tested out xmbc using eden build on my computer and installed a channel plugin (thanks again to Nettles!). I'm not sure if it's a bug but I cannot seem to exit the channel while it's playing (pressing x and clicking the mouse does nothing). I literally have to hard power off the comp to get out of the program. Is there some patch of something that corrects this?

Btw, I can't update to frodo because this specific plugin is not available for this build.
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3475 posts
248 upvotes
Montreal
You really shouldn't have to turn off your computer to exit. Task Manager that you can call up with ALT-CTL-DELETE should allow you to select the running program and close it. If you're referring to 1-Channel, I'm pretty sure I'm running 1-Channel on Frodo.
Phils
Mar 20, 2008
701 posts
103 upvotes
Nettles wrote:
Jul 8th, 2013 4:04 pm

Hey Nettles... would be great if you can tell me or point me to tutorial to get treehouse tv channel on XBMC...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1233 posts
520 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Jul 9th, 2013 7:11 am
You really shouldn't have to turn off your computer to exit. Task Manager that you can call up with ALT-CTL-DELETE should allow you to select the running program and close it. If you're referring to 1-Channel, I'm pretty sure I'm running 1-Channel on Frodo.
Actually when I hit alt ctrl del, the task manager comes up but it doesn't focus long enough for me to select anything and shut down. I've even hit alt tab to get to it but xbmc keeps blocking everything. I'm not sure if it has to do with the actual plugin i'm using but it's very annoying bug where I can't even go back to the menu or exit xbmc no matter what i do :(
Always hungry ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13121 posts
2913 upvotes
Which foreign channels are you after? If Chinese, better to get an IPTV box. There is a big thread for those here...
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
5412 posts
919 upvotes
nintendo wrote:
Jul 8th, 2013 2:42 pm
A family friend mentioned to my parents recently they bought something called an MX android tv box that allows them to watch foreign tv channels for free without a satellite dish.

Let me first say I know nothing about android TV or much about digital channels.

I was wondering if anybody knows about this device, if it is legal and how it actually works? (I'm assuming channels are streamed directly to this device?).

(oh and I have googled info on this, but no specific information I could find).

I think this may be the product in question

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-Best ... 93820.html
Once you use one there is no turning back, I have six of them around the house one for every TV !
An Android Mini PC aka AMP does pretty much what your tablet or smartphone can do, run most of the same apps, same look and feel except you swipe with an air mouse instead of your fingers.

Don't buy that MX clone box, for about the same money get something decent like a Minix G4, X5 or X7

You can try out XAF XBMC on your computer or tablet, most of the popular addons like Mash-Up, 1Channel and IceFilms are already installed with the XAF version.

http://www.xbmcandroid.com/2013/05/04/f ... id-is-out/
× < >