Android TV Stick - convert normal TV to Smart TV (from $40, Quad-Core from $65)
Source: http://liliputing.com/2012/05/74-pc-on- ... d-4-0.html
I first heard of this idea from Always Innovating, but I think it no longer manufactures the items, but instead licensing the idea. Not sure if they are the first who came out with this idea though.
Options (in chronological orders when I found them, prices are approximate because they keep changing):
- USD$42 (MK802 II) http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/56 ... alers.html
- USD$44 (MK802) http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-mini-pc-goo ... 4gb-137012
- USD$38 (MK802) http://www.pandawill.com/cx01-mini-andr ... 63620.html
- USD$46 (UG802 Rockchip 3066 dual-core) http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Dual-Core ... ox-600195/
- USD$40(MK802+) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/In-Stock ... 07558.html
- USD$45 (UG802) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/In-Stock ... 06693.html
- USD$41 (MK808) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808-Du ... 07415.html
- USD$43 (MK808B) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808B-D ... 13213.html
- USD$40 (MK802 III XMBC-ready) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Presell- ... 12231.html
- USD$65 (Quad-Core CX-919 RK3188 with external antenna) http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmar ... 16975.html[/B] Firmware and support
- USD$55 (Quad-Core MK908 RK3188 pre-rooted and OTA firmware update) http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Tronsmart ... ck-601058/[/B] Firmware and support
- USD$60 (Quad-Core MK908II with external antenna) http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Tronsmart ... na-601339/
Except the kickstarter one, the others do not come with any input control device.
There are a couple input device options:
- Use a USB wired/wireless keyboard/mouse, and plug them (the devices or dongle) right into the USB ports on the sticks.
- Use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse (needs a TV stick with BT)
- Use a free Android App and control it from your Android phone/tablet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... otecontrol (newer version here: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/20 ... h0EcRv6M8Q)
- Use a paid Android App and control it from your Android phone/tablet: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=droidmote
- Buy a basic Air Mouse/Keyboard. The advantage is the support of Gyroscope. One of the most popular basic one is the Measy RC11: http://geekbuying.com/item/RC11-Android ... 06420.html.
- Buy a newer Air Mouse/Keyboard (Tronsmart TSM-01): http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Tronsmart ... es-601070/
- Buy a nice Air Mouse/Keyboard. One of the best ones is the Mele F10 Pro. It has a built-in microphone, headphone jack, IR, and a rechargeable internal lithium battery that lasts. http://geekbuying.com/item/MELE-F10-PRO ... 16854.html
In terms of 3rd party custom firmwares/roms, head over to freaktab forum: http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.ph ... er-Support
Differences between the MK802, UG802, MK808
http://liliputing.com/2012/09/ug802-roc ... as-69.html
http://www.shenzhenpc2u.com/2012/09/mk8 ... -tv-stick/
UPDATE May 30, 2012
Alternative? (Starting from USD$99) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484 ... a-smart-tv
It's still a kick-starter, so no one knows when it will ship
Already funded, so you can no longer purchase it until it's out
UPDATE Aug 7, 2012
A couple places have increased the the RAM to 1GB and lowered their prices.
UPDATE Sep 7, 2012
Added another model using a 1.2GHz Cortex-A9 Rockchip 3066 CPU (UG802)
UPDATE Oct 6, 2012
Added another model using MK802+ with 1GB ram for $40 only!
UPDATE Oct 11, 2012
Added information about Droidmote, a server/client app that allows you to turns your Android phone into a remote for the MK802 at least.
Added a MK808 model with Android 4.1 JellyBean
UPDATE Dec 13, 2012
Added another model based on UHost U1A chip??? Probably another Allwinner A10 variant, with wifi-n support. $35
See this post for details: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/android- ... st15963439
UPDATED May 10, 2013
Added one with MK808B with built-in bluetooth.
Removed a couple ones that are no longer listed. Wonder if I should remove all the old models altogether.
UPDATED July 17, 2013
Added a QuadCore RK3166 Tronsmart CX-919 with external antenna. I believe it will help with the wifi strength common in these TV sticks.
UPDATED July 23, 2013
Added a QuadCore RK3166 Tronsmart MK908 with OTA firmware update and is pre-rooted. It also contains dual internal antenna.