Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Android TV Stick - convert normal TV to Smart TV (from $40, Quad-Core from $65)

Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1674 posts
268 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: Save your money, these things suck.
Not true. I bought a 808b from dx about a month ago and I am extremely happy with it. My router is in the basement and I use it up in my bedroom it's at least 25 ft and 2 floors away and I have no problem viewing 95% of my videos stream from my pc server. I only have a few 720p video that stutters but most other 720p are ok.

It cost me $52 for it, way cheaper than getting a used pc for streaming to my bedroom (just checked and it is now $47) and I did get the rc11 with it but I was using an old wireless keyboard/mouse combo and it was perfectly fine (the air mouse came 1 week after the 808b). I also plugged the mouse dongle directly into the usb port and it worked perfectly (unlike some report suggest interference), maybe I am just lucky...
Oct 11, 2006
58 posts
18 upvotes
I have a MK802 IIIs , with box and contents which I want to get rid of. I got it as a gift from a friend and used it once out of curiosity but I hate android. I am willing to sell it for $50. If somebody wants it than PM me.
Oct 3, 2009
154 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
dealhunter16 wrote: When did you order? I am waiting for my MK809II and the status shows it left china on March 10 (Departure from outward office of exchange). Can you point me to the instructional video to fix wifi? TIA
I ordered from Geek, late feb. It took 2 weeks to arrive.
Finless has a video. Google UG802 antenna mod. The units are very similar. Not hard to do and really improved my wifi. This is only for the MK809ii. The mk808 has a different procedure and the mk802iii I don't even know so don't start opening your cases without researching first.
Dec 17, 2010
697 posts
263 upvotes
dualturbo wrote: I ordered from Geek, late feb. It took 2 weeks to arrive.
Finless has a video. Google UG802 antenna mod. The units are very similar. Not hard to do and really improved my wifi. This is only for the MK809ii. The mk808 has a different procedure and the mk802iii I don't even know so don't start opening your cases without researching first.
Thats fast arrival. I ordered from Aliexpress more than 3 weeks ago and still waiting.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
redflag999 wrote: I also plugged the mouse dongle directly into the usb port and it worked perfectly (unlike some report suggest interference), maybe I am just lucky...
I also had a bit of interference. I just plugged it into the OTG cable that came with the MK808 and it was fine. So by having the dongle about 2 inches from the stick instead of plugged directly into my stick, everything was fine.

And I also have had no wifi issues. Although my stick is only about 4 feet from my router, so that may have a lot to do with it.

dealhunter16 wrote: When did you order? I am waiting for my MK809II and the status shows it left china on March 10 (Departure from outward office of exchange). Can you point me to the instructional video to fix wifi? TIA
Here's the video: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... -you-do-it!

That website is Finless' message board, so you can find all of his ROMs and a lot of advice.

And I ordered from DX and got it exactly 2 weeks after I ordered.
Oct 3, 2009
154 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
redflag999 wrote: Not true. I bought a 808b from dx about a month ago and I am extremely happy with it. My router is in the basement and I use it up in my bedroom it's at least 25 ft and 2 floors away and I have no problem viewing 95% of my videos stream from my pc server. I only have a few 720p video that stutters but most other 720p are ok.

It cost me $52 for it, way cheaper than getting a used pc for streaming to my bedroom (just checked and it is now $47) and I did get the rc11 with it but I was using an old wireless keyboard/mouse combo and it was perfectly fine (the air mouse came 1 week after the 808b). I also plugged the mouse dongle directly into the usb port and it worked perfectly (unlike some report suggest interference), maybe I am just lucky...
Finding 1080p slow today, so I switched 720p and no problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: Save your money, these things suck.
only if you don't know what you doing .... you have been told this before :)
Get the right stick and you be happy.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
redflag999 wrote: Not true. I bought a 808b from dx about a month ago and I am extremely happy with it. My router is in the basement and I use it up in my bedroom it's at least 25 ft and 2 floors away and I have no problem viewing 95% of my videos stream from my pc server. I only have a few 720p video that stutters but most other 720p are ok.

Glad it works for you but for me it sucked... but I got the CX-01. All I wanted to do was watch videos on my pc's hard drive on my tv wirelessly, figure since my pc connected to my wifi and this android dongle connects to the same wifi it should be easy, but no. In my opinion android is just not a suitable interface for TV. Using a mouse to control a TV is just too cumbersome, the interface is not easy, too many clicks required to do simple things that on something like apple tv could be done with just one or two button presses, and also there is no hard surface to use my mouse on when I'm sitting on my couch so I got to use a book which is annoying. Maybe the air mouse would be better but I never got one cause they were too expensive (last time I looked a few months ago, maybe they much cheaper now?). Also a lot of the android aps wouldn't work. Also a lot of the menu is in chinese and a lot of the chinese aps like the chinese keyboard cannot be uninstalled (unless you can figure out how to root it) so that would be a problem if you don't read chinese. Also they take too long to boot up whereas a real tv box like apple tv or roku would boot up much quicker. Every time I want to watch a video from my computer on my tv it is 100 times less effort to just copy it from my pc to a usb stick then stick that usb stick in my tv and away I go, faster and less effort.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: only if you don't know what you doing .... you have been told this before :)
When these things first came out I had high hopes... I was gonna watch netflix on my tv, watch youtube, stream movies from my pc to my tv, play games on my tv, check email on tv, etc. While all of these things were possible, they require too much effort. If I want to search youtube I have to type by clicking the mouse on each key which takes forever to type a simple word, too cumbersome.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
  • Air mice now go for around $20.
  • Many, although not all, Android apps works. If you install a custom ROM, they are designed to make many more apps work.
  • I never saw a word of Chinese on mine.
  • I leave mine on all of the time. People have done tests on the MK808 and shown that it draws about 1 watt when it isn't doing anything.
So, I think they have progressed quite a bit since you tried them.

They still aren't perfect, you may have to do a bit of hacking to get them working properly. If you aren't looking for this and want something that you just plug in and is guaranteed to work, then these sticks aren't for you. But if you don't mind a bit of hacking, I think they're great.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: When these things first came out I had high hopes... I was gonna watch netflix on my tv, watch youtube, stream movies from my pc to my tv, play games on my tv, check email on tv, etc. While all of these things were possible, they require too much effort. If I want to search youtube I have to type by clicking the mouse on each key which takes forever to type a simple word, too cumbersome.
And once again you bought crappy stick and I suspect your setup wasn't good either.
Mar 2, 2013
129 posts
28 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: When these things first came out I had high hopes... I was gonna watch netflix on my tv, watch youtube, stream movies from my pc to my tv, play games on my tv, check email on tv, etc. While all of these things were possible, they require too much effort. If I want to search youtube I have to type by clicking the mouse on each key which takes forever to type a simple word, too cumbersome.
Quit trying to deter people, there are 51 pages and growing of people who are having great success with this. It sounds like you bought the wrong stick, as many mentioned. I flashed Finless on it (literally a 5 minute job), setup network sharing and my girlfriend figured out how to watch videos all by herself, and she is the farthest you can get from being 'technologically sound' on stuff like that.

It sounds like this isn't for you, and you have a very closed mind on the advancements that have been made from when you tried it. Perhaps you should move onto the next thread
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1674 posts
268 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: Glad it works for you but for me it sucked... but I got the CX-01. All I wanted to do was watch videos on my pc's hard drive on my tv wirelessly, figure since my pc connected to my wifi and this android dongle connects to the same wifi it should be easy, but no. In my opinion android is just not a suitable interface for TV. Using a mouse to control a TV is just too cumbersome, the interface is not easy, too many clicks required to do simple things that on something like apple tv could be done with just one or two button presses, and also there is no hard surface to use my mouse on when I'm sitting on my couch so I got to use a book which is annoying. Maybe the air mouse would be better but I never got one cause they were too expensive (last time I looked a few months ago, maybe they much cheaper now?). Also a lot of the android aps wouldn't work. Also a lot of the menu is in chinese and a lot of the chinese aps like the chinese keyboard cannot be uninstalled (unless you can figure out how to root it) so that would be a problem if you don't read chinese. Also they take too long to boot up whereas a real tv box like apple tv or roku would boot up much quicker. Every time I want to watch a video from my computer on my tv it is 100 times less effort to just copy it from my pc to a usb stick then stick that usb stick in my tv and away I go, faster and less effort.
Not sure what this cx-01 is, my comment is aimed at yours stating 'these things sucks'. Just like anything else in the world, different companies design and manufacture the same product differently and you are doing a dis-service to other RFDers by categorically using the above phrase.

I don't think you control you pc using a mouse only, do you? You probably use a mouse/keyboard combo... Well if you are not using a touch screen, then you should use a mouse/keyboard combo on your Android stick also, that's just common sense. And if you are just watching tv wirelessly as you stated, a mouse is all you need to point and click. As for the air mouse, it only cost $20-$30 depending on model and where you buy from, so it's no more expensive than a mouse/keyboard combo. And with an air mouse, there is no need for a 'hard surface' and if you know how to type on your blackberry or iphone then there should be no problem for you to type on your air mouse either.

I have not seen any Chinese menu on my stick except for Chinese apps like PPTV. Of course if you set your system menu to Chinese, then you are going to see Chinese menu, just like your pc.

As for boot up time, mine boot up in around 30 seconds from power off, much faster than my Window 7 pc and I don't have to 'copy' anything from my pc to a usb stick either, way less effort than what you do...

BTW I didn't even flash any rom onto it, just the stock Android os and I see no reason to flash anything as it is great just the way it is
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: And once again you bought crappy stick and I suspect your setup wasn't good either.
What do you mean "once again", I only bought it once? I never said I bought more of them. And the CX01 was rated better than the mk802 or whatever so that's why I chose it.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
rust0r1 wrote: Quit trying to deter people, there are 51 pages and growing of people who are having great success with this. It sounds like you bought the wrong stick, as many mentioned. I flashed Finless on it (literally a 5 minute job), setup network sharing and my girlfriend figured out how to watch videos all by herself, and she is the farthest you can get from being 'technologically sound' on stuff like that.

It sounds like this isn't for you, and you have a very closed mind on the advancements that have been made from when you tried it. Perhaps you should move onto the next thread
Thanks for the advice but I have the right to warn people to not waste their money if I choose to, so until you become moderator of RFD I would politely suggest you stuff it. I only wish someone was around to warn me not to waste my $60.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
I don't think I have any need for this "computer on a stick", and don't know that much about them. However, with anything, the best thing to do, if you're interested in one of these things, is to research what features different models have and reviews from the average person.
It would be sort of neat to try one, but I don't really think I would use it, other than being playing around with it and being amazed at how technology has advanced.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
Before everyone has decided to hate on Xiaohaibao.. I've decided to go with the Roku 3 or Ouya - both will require waiting a little bit until it's available in Canada. My main reasons are, that I prefer an out of the box solution, a big box return policy, and I don't have extra parts lying around so the cost of these open source solutions adds up.

I'd prefer not to buy off sketch websites - and it seems like there are issues with RMA for DOA units for these android sticks.

Similarly, I think it's a hassle to buy all the raspberry pi parts a la carte and, like the android sticks, once you add all the parts together, it gets to be $70-100 so I might as well get an off the shelf solution.

From a techie perspective, I've put android on a HP touchpad and jb'd a ATV2 so I could probably figure it out there are too many uncertainties (DOA, shipping time, wifi fix, wifi speed) with buying a stick from china.

I'm happy for everyone that got their android stick to work but it just isn't for me. I think the present time has a lot to do with it too... If I was faced with this in Summer 2012, I might take the plunge... but the Roku 3 and the Ouya are going to be out relatively soon..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5582 posts
2441 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: What do you mean "once again", I only bought it once? I never said I bought more of them. And the CX01 was rated better than the mk802 or whatever so that's why I chose it.
"Once again" meaning you don't know what you are talking about :)
You purchased POS stick and problem #2 is you don't know how to set it up properly.
Get it to your head :)
Mar 2, 2013
129 posts
28 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote: Thanks for the advice but I have the right to warn people to not waste their money if I choose to, so until you become moderator of RFD I would politely suggest you stuff it. I only wish someone was around to warn me not to waste my $60.
You need to realize you stand among a few in your countless problems, look at the hundreds of threads around the internet talking about this very subject and all they can do and how amazing they are. Sometimes when something doesn't work out for you, you need to look at the REAL reason. You bought a model that was so-so in terms of 'mainstream' android sticks at the time, if your item came with Chinese language as default, you definitely didn't buy it from a reputable seller/supplier. All in all, it sounds like YOU didn't do your research before hitting the PAY PAY PAY button. You expected great results from putting very little effort into it. Troll.
poorwingman wrote: Before everyone has decided to hate on Xiaohaibao.. I've decided to go with the Roku 3 or Ouya - both will require waiting a little bit until it's available in Canada. My main reasons are, that I prefer an out of the box solution, a big box return policy, and I don't have extra parts lying around so the cost of these open source solutions adds up.

I'd prefer not to buy off sketch websites - and it seems like there are issues with RMA for DOA units for these android sticks.

Similarly, I think it's a hassle to buy all the raspberry pi parts a la carte and, like the android sticks, once you add all the parts together, it gets to be $70-100 so I might as well get an off the shelf solution.

From a techie perspective, I've put android on a HP touchpad and jb'd a ATV2 so I could probably figure it out there are too many uncertainties (DOA, shipping time, wifi fix, wifi speed) with buying a stick from china.

I'm happy for everyone that got their android stick to work but it just isn't for me. I think the present time has a lot to do with it too... If I was faced with this in Summer 2012, I might take the plunge... but the Roku 3 and the Ouya are going to be out relatively soon..
A stand up response! Thank you for the logical post.

There is a difference between what you said/your reason for not liking them, and what Xiaohaibao has been preaching, so I wouldn't group yourself too closely with. For what you're looking for, these sticks just aren't going to meet your needs, there isn't anything wrong with that at all. Different strokes for different folks!

Xiaohaibao on the other hand, made a half assed attempt to get one and make it work, and it turned out poorly for him and now he is convinced to let the world know how bad they are. It isn't a vault of the device, the user has to accept some responsibility. If you do your research, read forums, read comments and invest sometime into your purchase, it goes a very long way. Hell, you aren't even buying one and I can tell you have spent more time reading and getting informed on them than he had.

I got mine and flashed Finless on it right away to get rid of anything that might have been installed from factory, runs great then and runs great now. In fact, it streams high bit-rate 1080p FLAWLESSLY, something I never saw from my JB ATV2 EVER.

In any case, I agree with you on many of your points, I just forked over $30 for a fly mouse/keyboard combo.
lifeisfuneh wrote: "Once again" meaning you don't know what you are talking about :)
You purchased POS stick and problem #2 is you don't know how to set it up properly.
Get it to your head :)
+1 :)