Ongoing Deal Discussion

Android TV Stick - convert normal TV to Smart TV (from $40, Quad-Core from $65)

Dec 16, 2007
989 posts
205 upvotes
koontzy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 8:45 pm
Anyone here know how to turn on and turn off the android stick by using the RC11.. well actually its more to turn it on without having to unplug/plug the units itself?
I normally just turn mine off when finish from the task bar. My Tv will turn it on automatically whenever I select the proper Hdmi port. RC11 does not turn on/off for my stick too!
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11224 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
I am interested in getting one of these devices (assuming they play netflix and most video formats) for one of my TVs and wanted to know what version and retailer I should get one from?

thanks
Apr 5, 2012
139 posts
27 upvotes
OAKVILLE
NOOB Alert !!!!!!!!
ok so i have a samsung plasma with a usb input. if i buy say MK802 and hook it to my plasma, it will turn into a smart tv and i will be able to access every app on play store?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
hightech wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 9:14 am
I am interested in getting one of these devices (assuming they play netflix and most video formats) for one of my TVs and wanted to know what version and retailer I should get one from?
thanks
netflix for android is a badly written app and is hit or miss on all android devices. Some work fine some not at all Netflix needs to re-do it because its a real piece of sh1t.

amk14boss wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 11:45 pm
NOOB Alert !!!!!!!!
ok so i have a samsung plasma with a usb input. if i buy say MK802 and hook it to my plasma, it will turn into a smart tv and i will be able to access every app on play store?
yes but why mention the tv's usb input, these units are power hungry and 500mah probably won't be enough.Most tv's don't give 500mah alot only give 140.
Jul 19, 2005
500 posts
200 upvotes
amk14boss wrote:
NOOB Alert !!!!!!!!
The usb on your tv is for power supply. I can plug the MX1 into Insignia and it powers up the MX1. Yes you can access apps on play store but I don't think all apps are compatible.

Also, not all USB port on TV will supply enough power. When I plugged the MK808 in Panasonic USB, it kept rebooting.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
267 upvotes
Kitchener
amk14boss wrote:
NOOB Alert !!!!!!!!
Save yourself some grief and get a Boxee box while they're still around.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Apr 21, 2012
324 posts
72 upvotes
MARKHAM
iceman86 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2013 4:35 pm
How exactly can you stream or play videos off the usb unit over wifi or wired ethernet?

Do I need to setup a shared drive off the router?

Tried Google and I couldn't find the answer to this.
took me 3 secs to found the answer, solution is to install ES Files Explorer on your USB unit and configure your computer's network. Then play whatever you want on MX Player.
http://androidandme.com/thread/stream-m ... -explorer/
Newegg, NCIX, CanadaComputers, Vuugo, follow all tech forums @ boardreader.com!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
look30 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:13 pm
Save yourself some grief and get a Boxee box while they're still around.
intel doesn't support the chipset its dead platform, i mean they completely kill it like no other in intel's history, the recent update which was the only one since last march was because adobe thru a bone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
motojj wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:18 pm
Hi,

I am tempted to buy UHost U1A Mini PC Google Android 4.0 TV BOX

can i use Microsoft Remote Keyboard for Media Center and remote and Media Center Remote with IR Receiver with any available stick...

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Keyboar ... B000AOAAN8
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-I ... gy_e_img_y

thanks for your feedback
the keyboard yes the remote only when an app like xbmc is running and only in that app's ui. you would have to map the remote to work in android.

the logitech k400 is good a affordable choice

but i tried one of these and it was a nice combo for the 2 worlds of android and htpc and it uses a rechargeable lithium ion so no batteries, I can't say a full size keyboard is alot better not if you text alot on your phone you hold this like a controller
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Portable-Mini-2- ... 53efede6d6
Aug 9, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes
Bought the UHost U1A and connected to a USB2.0 hub with Ethernet LAN port. Everything works well so far (Youtube HD video are amazing on a 60"). I have a hard time finding an Android video player that retrieves my 720p MKV video files from the shared drive on the LAN. BSPlayer has network playback support but the 720p video cannot be played (choppy). Not sure if I am asking too much from a $40 stick.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
richmak wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:29 pm
Bought the UHost U1A and connected to a USB2.0 hub with Ethernet LAN port. Everything works well so far (Youtube HD video are amazing on a 60"). I have a hard time finding an Android video player that retrieves my 720p MKV video files from the shared drive on the LAN. BSPlayer has network playback support but the 720p video cannot be played (choppy). Not sure if I am asking too much from a $40 stick.
esfilemanager and mxplayer are good combos for allwinner a10 chipsets. don't mistakenly grab esplayer, youll just need es filemanager.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
267 upvotes
Kitchener
lead wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:18 pm
intel doesn't support the chipset its dead platform, i mean they completely kill it like no other in intel's history, the recent update which was the only one since last march was because adobe thru a bone
So what ?! It works just fine the way it is, show me a stick who can stream 1080p like Boxee Box.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
look30 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:49 pm
So what ?! It works just fine the way it is, show me a stick who can stream 1080p like Boxee Box.
Today your best bet would be a rockchip dual core available for around 50-60 just add a ethernet usb the stick if u your stick has bad wifi or is far from the router. libstagefright support test builds from xbmc for hardware acceleration are now available and will be the standard for xbmc android. If you can't wait any 50 buck amlogic based stick can now boot to linux xbmc/android. Android apps run from the program menu and it has full hardware acceleration. That would be the cheapest but the pivos linux xbmc has better support than boxee. Not even boxee supports boxee box anymore. For a 100 bucks to buy a boxee now put the 100 towards an ouya out in march.
Oct 3, 2012
36 posts
I can't believe this post is still alive.Half year has passed,a series of new android tv sticks have already released,LOL.
× < >