• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2017 10:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4326 posts
1388 upvotes

Android vs ios battery life

I heard that they are about equal in terms of drainage but this is my experience

Android
Fresh install, no cellular only wifi, no programs except instagram, no email accounts
Average of 1% drain every hour during the night or 8% total over 8 hours

ios
Over a year old with cellular and wifi, over 100 programs, 6 email accounts
0% drain over 8 hours

I'm using an lg g6 for android. Is this supposed to happen or do I have a lemon?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4041 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 4:50 pm
I heard that they are about equal in terms of drainage but this is my experience

Android
Fresh install, no cellular only wifi, no programs except instagram, no email accounts
Average of 1% drain every hour during the night or 8% total over 8 hours

ios
Over a year old with cellular and wifi, over 100 programs, 6 email accounts
0% drain over 8 hours

I'm using an lg g6 for android. Is this supposed to happen or do I have a lemon?
Useless comparison without knowing the exact iPhone model. In general, newer phones are faster, have bigger and brighter screens and have more features that drain battery than older phones.

Are you trying to compare your G6 battery life vs. an old iPhone 5C or something?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4326 posts
1388 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 4:54 pm
Useless comparison without knowing the exact iPhone model. In general, newer phones are faster, have bigger and brighter screens and have more features that drain battery than older phones.

Are you trying to compare your G6 battery life vs. an old iPhone 5C or something?
lg g6 vs iphone 7
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4890 posts
4041 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 5:13 pm
lg g6 vs iphone 7
I see. Not sure if it's normal or not... if anything, 0% drain over 8 hours is actually the one that stands out as abnormal.... I think it comes down to your particular phones and has very little to do with iOS vs Android.

I'd install AccuBattery on the phones and see if you can get a better picture.
Nov 24, 2016
135 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
iPhone's generally have very very good standby battery life due to the restrictive background tasks manager Apple uses in iOS, while Android works differently using a system called wakelocks. Recently, google has been trying to control these wakelocks by grouping them so they do their background tasks at the same time in a short timespan to lessen battery drain in the background but it works nowhere as well as in iOS. i have an LG G6 as well and I have this weird Android 7.0 bug where phone idle will use up a lot of battery.
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 5:13 pm
lg g6 vs iphone 7
Your iPhone is not getting any notifications if it's using 0% over 8 hours... something is wrong with your iPhone like you turned off all notifications push
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30563 posts
5063 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
First of all, there is no such thing as 0%. If the device is on, it will use some power. PERIOD.

I use an Android phone and it definitely uses more power than my iPad

But it also depends on Screen on Time and the applications you use. I find that games on an iPad drain the battery quickly. If I ran the same applications on Android and iOS, the Android one uses more power.
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Xfiles wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 6:15 pm
Your iPhone is not getting any notifications if it's using 0% over 8 hours... something is wrong with your iPhone like you turned off all notifications push
Their iPhone test does sound like it is missing something to me. My iPhone 6S running about the same stuff runs 1-2% an hour at idle. When checking the battery usage it is usually email checking every 15 min that drains battery.
Jul 25, 2017
94 posts
49 upvotes
iPhones drain 1 or 2% overnight, it's normal for android phones drop 20%. nothing wrong with android itself, most manufactures put too much preinstalled junk and branding into the phones, when it's new they are fast and battery is good, getting worse every day, if I buy android phones, I will only buy pixel
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2511 posts
747 upvotes
Woodbridge
ccylyl wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 9:41 am
iPhones drain 1 or 2% overnight, it's normal for android phones drop 20%. nothing wrong with android itself, most manufactures put too much preinstalled junk and branding into the phones, when it's new they are fast and battery is good, getting worse every day, if I buy android phones, I will only buy pixel
I would not describe a 20% drain while idling overnight to be "normal." The most I've seen is 9% and that's without taking any action to try and limit it. With things like greenify and wakelock detector telling you what's waking your phone etc. you could easily get it down to 2-4%.

Based on my usage pattern, though, I'm usually down to about 20-30% by the time I go to bed so my phone usually lives on a charger overnight anyway.