Computers & Electronics

Android/XBMC options without the headaches?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2014 11:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton

Android/XBMC options without the headaches?

--I cut the cord on cable, I use an OTA and get 5-10 HD channels depending on weather (because of distance) -- I have a Gbox Midnight MX2 box and I have grown tired of the headaches of having broken repositories , multiple down servers, and spending more time trying to find a working show than actually watching a show. Is there a stable headache-free version of XBMC/android box where I can just click on my show and it will automatically find the most reliable stream?? I do love the open nature of it, but trying to find stable programming is very tiresome.
Your source for training, nutrition, supplement advice!
18 replies
Dec 12, 2012
390 posts
355 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use the Mash Up add on and rarely have a problem finding something that works. It's usually a click or two and thats it. Project free TV is also a favorite of mine but I guess it depends what you`re looking for.

If you haven`t tried mash up I suggest giving it a try.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
^^

Hardly, but the Gbox is buggier than I want to deal with. Is Amazon Fire TV more stable? I use the unblock service
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
beerbaron105 wrote: ^^

Hardly, but the Gbox is buggier than I want to deal with. Is Amazon Fire TV more stable? I use the unblock service
No
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
You could always try something like popcorntime. I dont know anything about receiving digital television though unfortunatety, seems like a pretty big hassle.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote: --I use an OTA and get 5-10 HD channels depending on weather (because of distance)
You should be able to get more than 5 - 10 stations in your area. Check out tvfool.com to see where the towers in your area are located. Anything within 60 miles shouldn't be an issue (Though there are exceptions).
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
walker2238 wrote: You should be able to get more than 5 - 10 stations in your area. Check out tvfool.com to see where the towers in your area are located. Anything within 60 miles shouldn't be an issue (Though there are exceptions).

Should but when you face North and live in a concrete building about 50km from downtown then your channels will be less
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote: Should but when you face North and live in a concrete building about 50km from downtown then your channels will be less
Milton, concrete building... Jail?
Aug 16, 2008
129 posts
34 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote: ^^

Yes, stable and somewhat locked down which is why it's popular.
Mar 29, 2010
44 posts
3 upvotes
If you just want less messing around and aggravation a HTPC is the best option I have used for XBMC, but it comes at a greater cost.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Hounsy wrote: If you just want less messing around and aggravation a HTPC is the best option I have used for XBMC, but it comes at a greater cost.
It's free ! ...LoL
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
this really isn't about xbmc its about reliability of free addons. Well this is what free costs. Its a game of cat and mouse. Only not just by the content providers but also by the web source who doesn't want you to view stuff thru xbmc but thru their web page where they make money from adds and xbmc cuts off that revenue. So this is why sub addons or apps are argueably best for the lazy since they make money regardless.

Good addons never last forever spreading the word about the real good click and watch ones would only kill them faster or slow them down. They're around you can even find some good ones even in mashup since mashup pulls from others. When you do find them, bite your lip and save them as favorites.
Oct 11, 2007
499 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
Just purchased a Fire tv from EBay for 125$ cdn. Shipped. Going to install Xbmc on it and see how it goes. My Atv 2 has served me well but I want 1080p and more power.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
XBMC runs perfectly fine on the FireTV. The free addons on the other hand come and go, project maintainers lose interest, streams get shutdown and so on. Your best bet is always going to be a method of obtaining content and streaming it locally to an HTPC or if you insist on streaming then something like Netflix or Hulu. Otherwise you will have to tolerate the bugs, crashes and dead streams. Sorry but there's no free lunch.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
Since were talking about free i have to ask why do these addons host all that content? I don't see any ads or anything at least so far so i cant see how they would make money but i can see it costing a huge bundle.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
Keas wrote: Since were talking about free i have to ask why do these addons host all that content? I don't see any ads or anything at least so far so i cant see how they would make money but i can see it costing a huge bundle.
thats cause your viewing the content thru xbmc which takes all that stuff away so you can navigate the content only with a tv remote. Go to an addon's source web page and view it on your desktop. Tip get a good adblocker before your attempt too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)