Expired Hot Deals

[androidauthority] Getflix smart dns and vpn lifetime for $44.10

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2019 10:33 pm
Aug 1, 2008
992 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver
so if one were to use US-Based Netflix, Hulu, and all other US-Based video streaming apps when using their android TV device like Nvidia Shield TV or on their tablets/smartphone and PC... it would be best to use a DNS switcher app or VPN?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote:
May 19th, 2019 1:42 pm
On my Nvidia Shield, I use 2 Amazon apps. The main system app is called Prime Video and I use that to access the Canadian library (smart DNS disabled).
I also have a sideloaded app called Amazon Video that is pulled from a Sony Android TV. This app only shows US content and does not change (like prime video) based on where you're located. So if it sees you're in Canada, it just shows everything as "not available in your area". With smart DNS on though, all the content works perfectly fine.

I use Unlocator as my smart DNS right now, but I do know getflix and others work as well (as I've tested the trials they offer in the past). I am also using a DNS switcher app called Lilly DNS Changer. It allows me to turn the smart dns on/off on the fly.
You’ve come up with a really neat solution. It would be nice if someone else could confirm obtaining the full catalogue with the usually PrimeVideo app and not changing countries. You used to be able to do this but sometime in November, I think, Amazon changed things. So, for example, if I use my Apple TV in Canada and no DNS Proxy the Prime Video app automatically goes to Amazon.ca. If I travel to the US, literally, and use that Apple TV without doing anything I get the strange catalogue. Even if I deregister the Apple TV and register it to Amazon.com using my CA login it will still give the strange catalogue while in the US. I have to change countries.

The Shield thing is different because of that special app. It does work. I have no idea why but it seems to bypass whatever changes Amazon made towards the end of 2018.

I am not saying this is definitive as different places are saying different things.

How does Unlocator compare to other DNS solutions such as Smart DNS ( Getflix’s owner)?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16758 posts
22867 upvotes
ONTARIO
pmcd wrote:
May 19th, 2019 5:25 pm
You’ve come up with a really neat solution. It would be nice if someone else could confirm obtaining the full catalogue with the usually PrimeVideo app and not changing countries. You used to be able to do this but sometime in November, I think, Amazon changed things. So, for example, if I use my Apple TV in Canada and no DNS Proxy the Prime Video app automatically goes to Amazon.ca. If I travel to the US, literally, and use that Apple TV without doing anything I get the strange catalogue. Even if I deregister the Apple TV and register it to Amazon.com using my CA login it will still give the strange catalogue while in the US. I have to change countries.

The Shield thing is different because of that special app. It does work. I have no idea why but it seems to bypass whatever changes Amazon made towards the end of 2018.

I am not saying this is definitive as different places are saying different things.

How does Unlocator compare to other DNS solutions such as Smart DNS ( Getflix’s owner)?
I only basically use it for US Prime Video, Zattoo (Switzerland), and UK apps like BBC, ITV, My5, All4, UKTV Play. Compared to the others (getflix, uno telly, smart dns proxy, etc) it seems to be no better or worse. Honestly I'd go with whatever is the cheapest and in my special case, that'd be unlocator right now.
Nov 18, 2011
112 posts
29 upvotes
EDMONTON
Would i be safe using fire stick apps like zion without a vpn?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3831 posts
603 upvotes
Windsor
Have had this for a few years, works great for US tv using an Amerifriend's cable login.

The VPN is also handy.
Sep 16, 2013
684 posts
343 upvotes
SW ON
BobSagget wrote:
May 19th, 2019 1:42 pm
I also have a sideloaded app called Amazon Video that is pulled from a Sony Android TV. This app only shows US content and does not change (like prime video) based on where you're located.
Could you share this Sony app or point me to where I can find it? I am having a hard time finding it. I found only version 1.35 which is very old I believe.
Dec 27, 2007
18319 posts
9497 upvotes
Kitchener
artofwar wrote:
May 19th, 2019 3:29 pm
so if one were to use US-Based Netflix, Hulu, and all other US-Based video streaming apps when using their android TV device like Nvidia Shield TV or on their tablets/smartphone and PC... it would be best to use a DNS switcher app or VPN?
DNS redirection would suffice and you don't need to cap your speed going through VPN (except for Netflix which apparently is getting VPN'ed either way).
And you don't even need a switcher app, just change your connection settings instead.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1665 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Watoko wrote:
May 18th, 2019 5:52 pm
Been using Windscribe since it was first posted on RFD a year back, would recommend it over other VPN services.
They don’t support US Prime Videos ( Amazon). Getflix does. I have no idea why some feel they don’t honour their lifetime membership. They do. It’s essentially the same service as Smart DNS Proxy and the lifetime deal is pretty good. The only way to get US Netflix with their lifetime account is via a PC. Otherwise you have to go with their normal accounts, and that is not reliable. That seems to be the case for most DNS Proxy services. Even the top VPN companies have trouble with Netflix.
Sep 16, 2013
684 posts
343 upvotes
SW ON
pmcd wrote:
May 21st, 2019 3:14 am
They don’t support US Prime Videos ( Amazon). Getflix does. I have no idea why some feel they don’t honour their lifetime membership. They do. It’s essentially the same service as Smart DNS Proxy and the lifetime deal is pretty good. The only way to get US Netflix with their lifetime account is via a PC. Otherwise you have to go with their normal accounts, and that is not reliable. That seems to be the case for most DNS Proxy services. Even the top VPN companies have trouble with Netflix.
That's why I don't only feel so but they really don't honor lifetime subscription. When I got a lifetime deal several years ago US Netflix was advertised to work and worked from many devices. Later it stopped working on Android devices and they started saying that I need another non-lifetime subscription. Broken promises. Now I am subscribed to smartdnsproxy (supposedly same company) and contrary to what you are saying US Netflix has always been working for at least a year now. When I login to new devices Netflix sends me a message that I logged in from Maryland.
Sep 16, 2013
684 posts
343 upvotes
SW ON
highflying10 wrote:
May 21st, 2019 7:41 am
tried installing this on my phone but it won't open or even show up in my app drawer despite being in my app list. advice?
If you follow the conversation the app is for Android TV and probably won't work on the phone.
Sep 16, 2013
684 posts
343 upvotes
SW ON
Thank you! What a treat! Works on the Shield perfectly with smartdnsproxy. Requires no permissions. The icon has a US flag in it. So much more content than on the Canadian Prime. I logged in with my Canadian Prime Amazon account. Didn't make any changes. That app is so small, even smaller than the old 1.35 version that I found (that installed but couldn't start).
EDIT: BTW, this app installed on the Shield shows up as Sony Android TV in my account on the Amazon website.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16758 posts
22867 upvotes
ONTARIO
alpovs wrote:
May 21st, 2019 9:44 am
Thank you! What a treat! Works on the Shield perfectly with smartdnsproxy. Requires no permissions. The icon has a US flag in it. So much more content than on the Canadian Prime. I logged in with my Canadian Prime Amazon account. Didn't make any changes. That app is so small, even smaller than the old 1.35 version that I found (that installed but couldn't start).
EDIT: BTW, this app installed on the Shield shows up as Sony Android TV in my account on the Amazon website.
Glad you got it working. It really is fantastic, isn't it?
Just know though that 4K (UHD) content on this app does not work for us on the Shield. It will never play. It only supports up to 1080p HD on the Shield.
However if you come across something you want to watch that is labeled as UHD, you can just do a search for that same show and find the version that is non-4K and it'll work fine.

Also under the included channels, check out IMDB FreeDive. Most of the included channels in the app are premium channels you need a subscription for (like HBO, Starz, etc) but there's also IMDB FreeDive. It's an ad-support free movie/tv streaming service. If you don't mind the ads, it offers up even more content.

Edit: Also one more tip for anyone installing the app for the first time. When you first log in, it asks you to manually type out your Amazon username/password. With a remote that's a real pain in the butt.

Here's the way I usually do it.
Skip "sign in and start watching" button and click on "No thanks, start browsing".
Then go to Settings -> Register your device and click "register on the amazon website".
You'll get a code, so on your phone or desktop PC, you can just go to amazon.com/mytv and enter the code.
It will register the app and link it to your Amazon account. I find it much easier and faster than using the remote to manually type in the user/pass.