• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2011 2:37 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17067 posts
1144 upvotes

Anitec is now closed

After 20 years, Thursday, July 7, 2011 was the last day of full operations for Anitec Computer Technology. Announcement to their staff came down that evening and Friday was the beginning of their cleanup. Their website was taken down almost right away.

I guess this was the last good deal from Anitec.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anitec-c ... r-1057039/
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
55 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17035 posts
2608 upvotes
Thornhill
Never purchased anything from Anitec but it was always one of the places I checked when PM'ing at NCIX over the years. With the emergence of Memory Express, the 'big 3' in Canadian online computer/electronics retailers (NCIX, NewEgg and ME), these shops can't always compete.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3415 posts
30 upvotes
Coquitlam
Sad to see them go. Anitec was the only place where I bought my stuff from, before NCIX grew rapidly in the last 5 years. Anitec did expand from its old location to the newer one, but at the same time, NCIX was popping in the GVR like mushrooms.

This is well expected as many people on the forum rarely mention about this company anymore. It is either NCIX or ME in GVR.

With ME's price beat policy, it is the matter of time when Anitec goes out of business.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1474 posts
104 upvotes
I knew this would happen... they made a really bad mistake of moving and changing format of the store. They used to have better prices than NCIX AND even more important, they had hottest new products first, sometimes week before anyone else. I got my Acer Aspire One - the original - there, when netbooks were a new an upcoming phenomenon. A week before NCIX even had it on their page, let alone in stock. Once you're not competitive on price AND/OR don't have products before anyone else, you're done for.

I was there just last Saturday... well, it's another chapter closed. That's now 3 shops I used to go to (not just computer ones) closed in a matter of months.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1474 posts
104 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 3:47 pm
Never purchased anything from Anitec but it was always one of the places I checked when PM'ing at NCIX over the years. With the emergence of Memory Express, the 'big 3' in Canadian online computer/electronics retailers (NCIX, NewEgg and ME), these shops can't always compete.

I wouldn't call Newegg one of the "big three", they rarely have any deal worth mentioning. I buy from them every few months but if they were not an outlet of an US business, they'd be out of business too.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
4877 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aos007 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 9:42 pm
I knew this would happen... they made a really bad mistake of moving and changing format of the store. They used to have better prices than NCIX AND even more important, they had hottest new products first, sometimes week before anyone else. I got my Acer Aspire One - the original - there, when netbooks were a new an upcoming phenomenon. A week before NCIX even had it on their page, let alone in stock. Once you're not competitive on price AND/OR don't have products before anyone else, you're done for.

I was there just last Saturday... well, it's another chapter closed. That's now 3 shops I used to go to (not just computer ones) closed in a matter of months.

I wouldn't say that changing their format was a mistake... in fact, you can say that they were ahead of their time as both NCIX and Memory Express has very similar formats.

What did them in more than anything else was some of their policies - like Final Sale on sale items... Just because it's on sale for $5 less, it's a final sale? Come-on.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9760 posts
483 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Hmm, I wonder what will happen to their inventory.

> I wouldn't say that changing their format was a mistake... in fact, you can say that they were ahead of their time as both NCIX and Memory Express has very similar formats.

I haven't been to NCIX in awhile, but the Broadway store never had anything like how Anitec was set up. Anitec was half like a proper retail store, whereas NCIX was a warehouse with a front desk.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17067 posts
1144 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 9:57 pm
I wouldn't say that changing their format was a mistake... in fact, you can say that they were ahead of their time as both NCIX and Memory Express has very similar formats.
Memory Express and BCOM used the large format in Alberta well before Anitec (and some would say Doppler Computers would qualify as well).
craftsman wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 9:57 pm
What did them in more than anything else was some of their policies - like Final Sale on sale items... Just because it's on sale for $5 less, it's a final sale? Come-on.
They kinda got stuck in the middle. Too big to be a niche computer retailer / consulting company and too small to compete with NCIX, Memory Express, other etailers and even prebuilts from Futureshop and other chains. The also didn't spend time and effort to build stronger relationships with manufacturers like Intel, AMD, WD, Asus and others. Having manufacturer support helped build NCIX and Memory Express up.
rabbit wrote:
Jul 9th, 2011 10:20 pm
Hmm, I wonder what will happen to their inventory.
At least some of it was returned to distributors. They didn't have a lot of stock as they only seemed to order in as needed in the last few months.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2561 posts
263 upvotes
Its sad that such efficient companies cant survive the competition yet grossly inefficient govt monopolies like canada post lumber along without accountability to the market.
Jul 17, 2009
995 posts
181 upvotes
mtseymourguy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2011 12:08 am
Its sad that such efficient companies cant survive the competition yet grossly inefficient govt monopolies like canada post lumber along without accountability to the market.
is Canada post a monopoly? is there no other company that you can get to deliver a package or letter in Canada? You are an idiot
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
veryboredguy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2011 2:11 am
is Canada post a monopoly? is there no other company that you can get to deliver a package or letter in Canada? You are an idiot

UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
All smaller computers stores that don't have an online presence and/or multiple locations will be squashed by their competitors. I've seen small mom and pop stores come and go over the past years and saw small to mid size stores grow. Computer parts rarely make money and stores rely on technician work and accessories to bring in the money.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2561 posts
263 upvotes
veryboredguy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2011 2:11 am

Of course its a monopoly. Who else delivers letters????????????????????????????? Small packets?????????????????????? Taxpayers subsidize them everytime they get in trouble. We will be paying billions to bale out their pension fund. Zero competition and yet they struggle to be profitable. Do you seriously think a non-monopoly would have the luxury to pay new employees who are essentially paper boys $50,000 per year????????????????????????????? You canada post people are your own worst enemies on these forums.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
mtseymourguy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2011 8:55 am
Of course its a monopoly. Who else delivers letters????????????????????????????? Small packets?????????????????????? Taxpayers subsidize them everytime they get in trouble. We will be paying billions to bale out their pension fund. Zero competition and yet they struggle to be profitable. Do you seriously think a non-monopoly would have the luxury to pay new employees who are essentially paper boys $50,000 per year????????????????????????????? You canada post people are your own worst enemies on these forums.
Blackmajik wrote:
Jul 10th, 2011 2:35 am
UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

:facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15175 posts
816 upvotes
mtseymourguy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2011 8:55 am

Dude there's no reason for your bashing Canada Post in this thread.

It has nothing to do with a small computer store being able to stay afloat - it's not like the consensus here is that this store wasn't able to compete in any way because of Canada Post nor does Canada Post compete directly in any way by selling computer products.

Are all your 1400 posts so nonsensical? Even your right wing buddies at Sun News has moved on from complaining about the post office.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
× < >