Entertainment

'Annihilation' Natalie Portman Alex Garland (Ex-Machina)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2018 6:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9782 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 2:15 am
To see if our tastes are similar, how would you rate these out of 10? Tx.

*Blade runner 2049
*Alien resurrection
*Contact
*Arrival
One of these things is not like the others
newt_101 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 6:03 am
*Blade runner 2049 7
*Alien resurrection 2
*Contact 9
*Arrival 7
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3820 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Where are you guys watching this?

Cineplex only has the regular screens dedicated to this...

No UltraAVX, VIP, or IMAX.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9267 posts
1599 upvotes
Montréal
jenviea wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 7:12 am
One of these things is not like the others
Hmmm... Resurrection wasnt bad, better than the one stuck in that 'church'. Arrival was boring. I dunno now.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1555 posts
397 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 1:51 pm
Where are you guys watching this?

Cineplex only has the regular screens dedicated to this...

No UltraAVX, VIP, or IMAX.
It's because of this, I was specifically gonna go see it on discount Tuesday at Imagine Cinemas (formerly Rainbow Cinemas) for $5 at a crappy theatre. Just yesterday, I got a targeted email from Cineplex offering me 200 Bonus SCENE points to see it. However, I'd say 90% of the first-run movies I watch in the premium auditoriums (UltraAVX only with Dolby Atmos, VIP and IMAX). It's not that I enjoy spending more money, but I've been spoiled by the higher picture and sound quality in these rooms. On Tuesday, I'll flip a coin and choose which movie chain to pick a bad theatre for this.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3820 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 2:42 pm
It's because of this, I was specifically gonna go see it on discount Tuesday at Imagine Cinemas (formerly Rainbow Cinemas) for $5 at a crappy theatre. Just yesterday, I got a targeted email from Cineplex offering me 200 Bonus SCENE points to see it. However, I'd say 90% of the first-run movies I watch in the premium auditoriums (UltraAVX only with Dolby Atmos, VIP and IMAX). It's not that I enjoy spending more money, but I've been spoiled by the higher picture and sound quality in these rooms. On Tuesday, I'll flip a coin and choose which movie chain to pick a bad theatre for this.
The regular screens are atrocious, it feels like watching a DVD version of the movie, but paying for it...
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31726 posts
8100 upvotes
GTHA
zod wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 1:24 am
Seems kind of weird for theatre's to bid on something that gets a digital release elsewhere. If it's digital, someone will pirate it. One of the biggest advantages theatre's have is the window of time where they're the only game in town.
Movie theatres still debuted this movie ahead of Netflix streaming. Paramount is distributing this movie. They sold the international rights to Netflix since they lost confidence in this movie making money overseas.

The movie debuted in theaters on February 23 in the United States, Canada and China. But Netflix is going to start streaming the movie internationally in other countries just 17 days later. So that means Annihilation will be available internationally (including the U.K.) on March 12. (But this does not include the U.S., Canada, or China.) According to IMDB, the movie will be released on Netflix on March 12 in the U.K., Australia, Brazil, Germany, Poland, and Turkey. Some places may actually get it a little earlier than that on Netflix, however. IMDB lists the movie’s internet release date in Belgium and France as being March 7 instead of March 12.

Why is the release happening so strangely? Well, there were some pretty big creative differences between David Ellison and Scott Rudin, ScreenRant reported. The movie didn’t do so well in screenings, pointing to its possibly being too “intellectual” for a general audience. As a result, Ellison wanted to make some big changes. He wanted to reshoot and change the ending, The Hollywood Reporter shared. But Rudin said no to that idea since he had final-cut privileges, sticking to director Alex Garland’s vision. So Paramount ended up selling the international release rights to Netflix.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/02 ... ease-date/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8057 posts
926 upvotes
Victoria
That makes more sense. Even a 17 day windows is better than a zero day window. Still you know it's going to be leaked on the internet, or accessible via VPN as soon as it's on Netflix. It won't hurt box office numbers as bad as releasing the same day, but still... that's not a long time to wait to watch it at home....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6062 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Would love to chat with people about the ending after they see it - I'll share my thoughts below.

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW

The theme of cancer is throughout the film.
The world has cancer and going into the 'shimmer' focuses on the self-destruction (i.e. annihilation) that it can bring, mutations, etc...

MAJOR SPOILERS ABOVE
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1534 posts
523 upvotes
GTA
nonsense American movie, just another another 'dumb ass' movie, poor storyline with mediocre acting, the best parts being the Bear & grenade scenes

my take is an alien spacecraft crashes to earth, usual take (is there any other way to do a movie) American panic conspiracy, with a 'what is the meaning of life' twist, photosynthesis thrown in [weren't the colours wonderful], with a end twist - that 'could this be an 'Adam & Eve' fable' or a remake of 'the body snatchers'

Rating this 3/10

followed by FAQ

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/all-y ... wered.html
Sep 30, 2001
27078 posts
6005 upvotes
Toronto
That was one creepy weird movie. Not much more I can say about this one. The audio goes Interstellar levels of being far too loud at the end climax scene.

I give it a 7 for being different and unique
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10674 posts
614 upvotes
Scarborough
Movie was meh. Tried to be deep but doesn't hold your attention really.

I give it a 5/10 for trying. Ex Machina was a far superior film.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4368 posts
1684 upvotes
Toronto
Intriguing, original, and presented to us in layers... not a flick for the lazy moviegoers who want only to use their neurons only to send signals to their jaws so they can chew the popcorn

I'd give it an 8.5/10
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1555 posts
397 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 11:51 pm
Movie was meh. Tried to be deep but doesn't hold your attention really.

I give it a 5/10 for trying. Ex Machina was a far superior film.
thechampion116 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 10:01 pm
Interesting thought provoking film. I can sew why critics were in awe of it but I can't see general audiences going anywhere near it.
Hey ChampionFreeMoviesHustler, what's the final verdict? Should I save my $5 on discount Tuesday? Your two posts are somewhat contradicting themselves. Some of us RFD members are cheapskates so help us out! LOL
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15761 posts
12323 upvotes
Toronto
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6062 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Garland talks about the ending