Entertainment

'Annihilation' Natalie Portman Alex Garland (Ex-Machina)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2018 6:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15667 posts
3457 upvotes
Toronto
Movie wasn't great. Ex-Machina was a masterpiece compared to this.
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2373 posts
1822 upvotes
I was surprised to see this on my Netflix (Thailand). Apparently some doofus at Paramount thought that only American audiences has the intelligence to watch this. Yes, the U.S. box office really proves that theory.

I would have loved to see this on the big screen, however, the movie was definitely worse than ex machina. Too many things open for interpretation. I find that lazy storytelling.
Nov 13, 2014
145 posts
60 upvotes
Westmount, QC
BiegeToyota wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:21 am
I was surprised to see this on my Netflix (Thailand). Apparently some doofus at Paramount thought that only American audiences has the intelligence to watch this. Yes, the U.S. box office really proves that theory.

I would have loved to see this on the big screen, however, the movie was definitely worse than ex machina. Too many things open for interpretation. I find that lazy storytelling.
Ugh... it's not that. Apparently there was a internal battle with producers (some backed Alex Garland vision, some wanted to change things to the movie) so it led to Paramount having little to no faith in the movie making money in theatre. They cut their loss by making a deal with Netflix for the international rights .

My movie going experience is generally better in my living room, I have no problem with that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9918 posts
1821 upvotes
Montréal
SPOILER:

I didn't finish the movie yet but just wanted to say to the fool a while back who thought it would be a great idea for *loners* to take part in space Missions...ya, trust a multi-billion dollar project on fragile anti-socials that will go nuts the first sign of stress like that annoying one in the film. Riiiiiiiiight. Getouttahere fool.

Anyway, wannabe artsy movie not really going anywhere or making much sense. Barely 5/10 imo. Btw, this will be their shimmer baby, see how foolishly artsy cloudy it is...?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6162 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:15 am
SPOILER:

I didn't finish the movie yet but just wanted to say to the fool a while back who thought it would be a great idea for *loners* to take part in space Missions...ya, trust a multi-billion dollar project on fragile anti-socials that will go nuts the first sign of stress like that annoying one in the film. Riiiiiiiiight. Getouttahere fool.

Anyway, wannabe artsy movie not really going anywhere or making much sense. Barely 5/10 imo. Btw, this will be their shimmer baby, see how foolishly artsy cloudy it is...?
You're comparing Annihilation (which you didn't finish) to Twilight (which I assume you did finish)? lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9918 posts
1821 upvotes
Montréal
newt_101 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:47 am
You're comparing Annihilation (which you didn't finish) to Twilight (which I assume you did finish)? lol
Just fiNished it and yes, superficially, re silly "Shimmer" name. I'm all for *good* artsy movies (like Buffalo '66) but this is just some wannabe cloudy meaning trying to be clever cryptic nonsnese.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8217 posts
1025 upvotes
Victoria
I watched it. It struggled to keep my attention. I can see why the studio panicked and sold the international rights directly to netflix.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23866 posts
1262 upvotes
Markham, ON
i'm at 1.4 hrs...its hella long movie hehe...

so far my attention is still there....but it has a low budget feel to it....almost walking dead aspect....
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3483 posts
1283 upvotes
Bad cgi, story is even worse. This bombed even with the limited release.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20108 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
just watched this and I have to say that it's like the first half of the movie was directed\produced\written by one person\crew and the 2nd half was written by another....

I actually was enjoying the first half - it was interesting, captivated my attention and wanting to see how this ends (to me, it was like a descent into madness or as dementia like the movie referenced).

Second half or at least the last quarter took a 180 and tried to be artsy, unique, surreal and like Garland mentioned "psychedelic" ....but to me, it just seemed like they started this great story and really didn't know how to finish it and decided to be artsy as a lazy way out....at least IMO....

The last Natalie Portman dance reminds me of:

Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9918 posts
1821 upvotes
Montréal
ji2o0k wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 11:30 pm
just watched this and I have to say that it's like the first half of the movie was directed\produced\written by one person\crew and the 2nd half was written by another....

I actually was enjoying the first half - it was interesting, captivated my attention and wanting to see how this ends (to me, it was like a descent into madness or as dementia like the movie referenced).

Second half or at least the last quarter took a 180 and tried to be artsy, unique, surreal and like Garland mentioned "psychedelic" ....but to me, it just seemed like they started this great story and really didn't know how to finish it and decided to be artsy as a lazy way out....at least IMO....

The last Natalie Portman dance reminds me of:

Good assessment, the mirroring dance was quite artsy and cringey.
Aug 16, 2017
788 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
how did you guys watch it? its not on netflix canada.. bummer.
Nov 15, 2009
255 posts
26 upvotes
On my first viewing, the movie never came together in a package form. The group never came together either. I got the feeling the movie was in layer, but hard to find good connection to it. It felt like Arrival movie touch to it. Ex-Machina was great. The CGI effect wasn't great in this movie.
To me, the movie looked fragmented, a puzzle that never came together.