Automotive

Locked: *ANNOYING* I Notice many Motorcycles that drive on the shoulders or in between cars on the 401 and other roads/highways!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 1:25 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2283 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

*ANNOYING* I Notice many Motorcycles that drive on the shoulders or in between cars on the 401 and other roads/highways!

Like the topic states. I constantly am seeing Motorcycles driving on the shoulders or even in between cars on highways like the 401, DVP/404, 400, ect. when there is a bit of traffic. I do not know the Ontario highway traffic act, but I'm pretty darn sure this is obviously very illegal, but also dangerous. Why are these motorcyclists blatantly and obviously doing these crazy things on such highways?

At one time during rush hour I had to quickly pull over to the shoulder due to the low air pressure in one of my tires, and as I had just pulled onto the shoulder and stopped my car I noticed a motorcycle was driving on the shoulder and was somehow *mad* that I was blocking him and was giving me all kinds of attitude with his hands and had to suddenly stop and go around me and then he went back into the shoulder in front of me and kept on driving? wtf? I was parked there had even my hazards on and I was about to get out to check my tires pressure as I thought one tire was dangerously low I could feel it.

Another time during rush hour some motorcyclist decided to drive ON THE DOTTED LINE in between my car and the car next to me knocking into my mirror. thankfully my mirror did not break, it folds in and out so he just touched it enough to fold it outwards but I was able to open the window and push it back out with my hands. But yeah that kind of freaked me out as I almost thought the guy had hit my car and was going to come crashing down on the road? those are my biggest fears when I drive next to motorcyclists cus I've seen that happen when I was younger and it has given me such anxiety when driving next to them.

Does anyone else see this too or just me? Well now that the weather has gotten chillier I must admit I do not see any motorcycles on the roads or highways now.
Hi
Share:
73 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2738 posts
1521 upvotes
GTA
Just get a bike. Line splitting is not legal yet, but the legislation is in the works. It is legal in many European countries and nobody complains :-)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17207 posts
1624 upvotes
Space for rent
Tommy74 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 11:43 pm
Just get a bike. Line splitting is not legal yet, but the legislation is in the works. It is legal in many European countries and nobody complains :-)
Can't these shit heads wait until it's legal before doing it? Not that it matters with the majority of then riding like jackasses anyway.

If a car drives well over the speed limit and or swerves cutting lanes we'd all agree they were a menace but a bike does it we all kind of accept it as a nature of the beast. These on YouTube and forums love to call car drivers cagers but they go riding like absolute asses and never accept blame. Pisses me off.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12817 posts
1621 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty much the majority of riders nowadays. Nothing you can do. They are only putting themselves in danger so if something does happen, well good riddance.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11029 posts
2440 upvotes
Montréal
One day they will roll the wrong dice result and lose. Lots of idiot impatient cars driving on shoulders to try to beat rush hour also, so aggravating as well.

Btw, lane-splitting is a stupid idea. If it was meant to be, there'd be another *lane* there. That's just asking for trouble, period.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Mar 15, 2014
97 posts
58 upvotes
Mississauga
From what I found, Toronto is considering legalizing "lane filtering" which is different then "lane splitting". Lane filtering is when a motorcyclist moves up between lanes at a red light and apparently increases motorcyclist safety because if they get rear ended the injuries are much more serious.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4330780/toro ... le-safety/

Lane splitting is dumb and anyone who does it puts their life in the hands of others.
Nov 7, 2016
136 posts
29 upvotes
Ontario
manwithoutdog said it right, and I ride too...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2049 posts
594 upvotes
manwithoutdog wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 2:07 am
From what I found, Toronto is considering legalizing "lane filtering" which is different then "lane splitting". Lane filtering is when a motorcyclist moves up between lanes at a red light and apparently increases motorcyclist safety because if they get rear ended the injuries are much more serious.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4330780/toro ... le-safety/

Lane splitting is dumb and anyone who does it puts their life in the hands of others.
this is messed up. these riders voluntarily chose to place themselves at a vulnerable position by getting on a bike, and then have the balls to advocate for extra rights because they're prone to higher risk? hmmm it's something you chose to do, no one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy a bike. you want safety, then get back into a car.
Jan 18, 2009
62 posts
29 upvotes
oakville
Potential organ donors hope they have filled out the card.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5048 posts
4444 upvotes
Montreal
I could care less about lane splitting, it does not affect mine or anyone's commute nor adds any extra time to it. Having bikes lane split adds nothing and removes nothing for me, it's biker's risk. And what kind of knob decides to check tire pressures on a highway? *
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 13th, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Apr 8, 2010
624 posts
277 upvotes
toronto
some bikes are air cooled so if they're sitting in traffic not moving, the motors will over heat so some does not have a choice but to keep air flowing through their motor
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1549 posts
288 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
denti72 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 8:43 am
some bikes are air cooled so if they're sitting in traffic not moving, the motors will over heat so some does not have a choice but to keep air flowing through their motor
what a B/S
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2049 posts
594 upvotes
denti72 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 8:43 am
again, it it the biker's choice to buy a machine like that, no one forced them into that purchase. this "reason" provide no legal grounds as to why they should be granted extra rights/priority in traffic flow.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1056 posts
816 upvotes
GTA
malecoke wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 6:57 am
this is messed up. these riders voluntarily chose to place themselves at a vulnerable position by getting on a bike, and then have the balls to advocate for extra rights because they're prone to higher risk? hmmm it's something you chose to do, no one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy a bike. you want safety, then get back into a car.
You sound like a male minivan driver.
Jul 8, 2010
866 posts
583 upvotes
Ontario
malecoke wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 9:18 am
again, it it the biker's choice to buy a machine like that, no one forced them into that purchase. this "reason" provide no legal grounds as to why they should be granted extra rights/priority in traffic flow.

Talking about line filtering, details are below. Talking about line splitting and driving on shoulders, this is something that is not legal and is a risk that motorcyclist are assuming. While this is working in Europe and some south US states, it will not work in Canada in a safe way in Canada - reason : drivers are not use with this and will take a very long time to implement awareness.

Just look at the reasons behind. From someone that drove in Europe and also driving here, this process will help ease traffic.
the practice can help ease traffic congestion in addition to keeping motorcyclists safe.
Also, this is all over the place in Europe and is working fine:
“I know that (lane filtering) is quite popular in Europe and other areas overseas so it’s not surprising that some of those initiatives would migrate over to North America and also here in Toronto,”
The problem i see here, is really this one, that will require time to implement :
Spokeswoman Marilynn Bastedo noted, however, that implementing lane filtering would require efforts to educate car drivers about the practice.