Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14818 posts
1776 upvotes
Toronto

Another Retailer With An 11/11 Sale

Gibbys Electronics is hosting a November 11th Remembrance Day Sale, but calling it "Singles' Day" because it called that somewhere else in the world.

I don't care that it's happening in other parts of the world, in Canada, its Remembrance Day and we don't have sales on this day, out of respect. Some companies actually have the day off, for that reason.

When will these retailers learn?

Here's the write up:

Why is it called Singles’ Day?
When Nov. 11 is written numerically -- 11/11 -- the four digits evoke “bare branches,” the Chinese expression for the unattached. On Chinese university campuses in the 1990s, 11/11 evolved into a celebration of being single in a culture that emphasizes relationships -- an antidote to Valentine’s Day. The country’s rising middle class turned that into a phenomenon.

Why does Singles’ Day revolve around shopping?
Credit Alibaba’s billionaire co-founder Jack Ma. As he began building the company, Ma latched onto the idea of centering a shopping promotion around a holiday, drawing inspiration from the American Black Friday tradition of mega-discounts. He chose Nov. 11 starting in 2009. Early on, his company’s marketing encouraged consumers to treat themselves in celebration of being single. But the day has never been limited to the lonesome, and it targets every demographic. Ma -- who never shies from taking the stage
-- will preside over his brainchild for the final time in 2018 as Alibaba’s chairman.
He’s stepping down Jan. 1 and handing the reins to his protégé Daniel Zhang.

Is this exclusively an Alibaba event?
Though Alibaba was the first to link Singles’ Day to consumerism, plenty of rivals have joined in. JD.com Inc. does promotions, as does Vipshop Holdings Ltd.and a raft of other e-commerce companies. Amazon.com Inc., a bit player in China, started Prime Day in 2015 in the U.S. to drive a similar sort of shopping frenzy. A key difference between Alibaba and Amazon is the Chinese company is a digital landlord for merchants and consumers to find each other, while the empire founded by Jeff Bezos holds much of its own inventory to sell.
Is Singles’ Day for Chinese shoppers only?

While the mainland dominates sales, Alibaba is trying to make it more global. That means getting foreign brands involved in selling to the Chinese. It’s also working to promote its English-language websites such as wholesaling platform Alibaba.com. The 2018 edition will again involve AliExpress, which targets consumers abroad, and Lazada, its Southeast Asian operation.

How big is Singles’ Day?
More than twice as much merchandise is sold over the 24-hour period than during the entire five-day U.S. holiday-buying spree that begins on Thanksgiving, runs through Black Friday and ends on Cyber Monday. Every year has exceeded the one before, with last year’s sales climbing 39 percent to 168.2 billion yuan ($24.2 billion). That’s on par with the gross domestic product of some smaller European nations. Most of the buying was via Taobao and Tmall, Alibaba’s main shopping sites.
RedFlagDeals addict
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3868 posts
1218 upvotes
Sorry to say but shopping is a 24hr a day industry now

The fact that it’s not a statutory holiday in Canada is more of a travesty than a store having a sale

You should also be opposing or boycotting anything Black Friday as that is not Canadian related either
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jun 21, 2016
260 posts
71 upvotes
Remembrance Day is a stat in some places. It is in BC at least. But stores and many places stay open but may have shorter hours on stat holidays.

Must very by province.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3868 posts
1218 upvotes
JustinL733617 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 5:31 pm
Remembrance Day is a stat in some places. It is in BC at least. But stores and many places stay open but may have shorter hours on stat holidays.

Must very by province.
It’s not in Ontario , Quebec, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Can you believe that
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14818 posts
1776 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 3:47 pm
Sorry to say but shopping is a 24hr a day industry now
Going to disagree. I'm pretty much in line with this 2014 news report about retailers hearing backlash about "Remembrance Day sales."
Mednick said Remembrance Day is not a holiday and Gap as well as other retail stores that put up a Remembrance Day deal or sale need to understand that, and change that mindset. She said it is a day to commemorate those lost, those fighting, and those who fought – something Mednick says she has done since she was a child.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3868 posts
1218 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:16 pm
Going to disagree. I'm pretty much in line with this 2014 news report about retailers hearing backlash about "Remembrance Day sales."
Stores shouldn’t be open. Holidays don’t exist anymore. Retail never stops
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14818 posts
1776 upvotes
Toronto
JustinL733617 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 5:31 pm

Must very by province.
Being open is one thing (and fine IMO) but advertising a sale on the back of Remembrance Day, a day we honour those who have passed, is not fine.
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:23 pm
This isn't a "Holiday" like Canada Day
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3013 posts
2538 upvotes
Vancouver
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:23 pm
15 years ago the only businesses open on Vancouver's Oak Street on Christmas day were a handful of gas stations and the kosher deli. Now tons of Oak St businesses are open on Dec 25th, grocery stores, coffee shops...and the kosher deli is now closed on that day, go figure.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3868 posts
1218 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:41 pm
Being open is one thing (and fine IMO) but advertising a sale on the back of Remembrance Day, a day we honour those who have passed, is not fine.

This isn't a "Holiday" like Canada Day
I know that it isn’t.
It should be
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5984 posts
3570 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Old fart here...

Ok, I am all for round the clock shopping for the most part... Was never in the camp that fought against Sunday Shopping back in the day
(I was much younger then, back in the 1980s Winking Face)

But to me Remembrance Day is a whole other thing

I am old enough to remember when, the eleven days in November that led up to the 11th Day & the 11th Hour was a far more somber occasion
Perhaps because the memory of war was not a far off distant thing
In the 1960s, when I was a kid... EVERYONE was affected by having had a close family member who had fought ... or had LOST some one
Grandparents & Uncles in WW I
Moms, Dad’s, Aunts & Uncles in WW II
Perhaps Cousins in the Korean War

Those 11 Days were a time of reflection
On the heels of Halloween, and All Saints Day (when Catholics Pray for the Souls if the Dead)

The leaves were gone
The days were shorter
The clocks on Standard time
The sky was grey, the weather turned cold and wet

Very austere

It made you think
As people prepared for the dead of winter
Some folks & Stores even decorated with wreaths and black bunting

On Remembrance Day ... EVERYTHING was closed
Until at least after Noon
It was a Bank Holiday... and most Stores were shuttered for the day too
Places like Gas Stations etc were closed for at least an hour or two... so their owners & employees could get out to the Cenotaph for services

The biggest news in town was what time would the Bars & Pubs reopen ... to get a drink & have some lunch afterwards
Maybe raise a glass in Rememberance with some local “boys” who had served and were lucky enough to come back home
(Or as they would say... lucky enough to make it out alive)

I MISS THOSE DAYS
We all need to push to go back to that

November 12th was a joy filled day as the villages, towns & cities took on NEW LIFE
And people looked forward
It was the day that Christmas Celebrating officially kicked off
The wreaths and bunting had quietly been removed on the afternoon of the 11th
And the 12th was all about breaking out the Christmas Decorations
It was the FIRST DAY that stores pulled out their Christmas stuff

It was a BIG DEAL
As people got ready for the Holidays

I MISS THAT TOO

This break out Christmas in August (yes Costco I am looking at you)
Before the Summer is even over
The kids back to school
And we haven’t got to Thanksgiving, Hallowe’en or Remembrance Day IS NUTS

6 Weeks from Remembrance Day to Christmas is more than enough time to get ones fill of Eggnog, Fruit Cake, Christmas Carols and Shopping

We do not need 17 - 18 Weeks starting in August !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)