Is this another scam by Ontario Consumer Home Service

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 9:49 am
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton

Is this another scam by Ontario Consumer Home Service

I have my water heater and furnace by OCHS, also the air-cond and water softener by Simply Smart. Today the staff of OCHS came and said they can reduce my month bill by $100 which I were delighted to listen. During the talk they mention Simply Smart is one of the contractor. (Is this true?). I were told there will be new invoice each month to me from a company called LendCare. In other words, I no longer rent from two companies, but one loan from LendCare. Now, the details is in the following photo. I see there is an amount of $5321 at the last payment and questioned the staff who kept saying I only pay 60 month of 140.88 and the money is all cleared. I like to hear what you all think if he is telling the truth as I don't believe that it obviously shows an interest rate of 19.95% My contracts is already lapsed by 2 to 4 years which is bad enough deal to start with. Am I jumping into another frying pan?
Images
  • IMG_3660.JPG
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
As we all learned from the Free Nest Protect deal, avoid Simply Smart at all costs.... They are a bunch of scammers trying to lock customers into long term contracts with hidden fees, charges, backend costs. Shady business practices... Avoid!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
NOBODY comes to your door to save you money. They come to trick you into taking your money. NEVER rent any appliances, water tanks, AC, furnace, etc. If you're low on funds it's cheaper to take a loan.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3475 posts
3994 upvotes
GTA
Wow $6,775 interest and fees to borrow $7,000 over five years. What could be wrong with this deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2689 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: NOBODY comes to your door to save you money. They come to trick you into taking your money. NEVER rent any appliances, water tanks, AC, furnace, etc. If you're low on funds it's cheaper to take a loan.
Yup they charge upwards of 20% interest on top of extremely overcharging for the appliance in question to start with all rentals are a scam to the end consumer
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Seems you already signed... believe there is cool off period so highly suggest to cancel!!

Get proof of cancellation, record call if have to.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2689 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
But to answer OPs question after paying 60 payments of 140 you will have paid ~8640 leaving that final large payment of 5300. Run away and tell them to f$*k off
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
Thank you. The more I have read, the more uncomfortable I am. That was a "credit application and Agreement". Nothing mentioned of my exiting equipment, rather, there is a line saying "Please describe the purchased goods and serves". The staff filled in air cleaner that he said throwing in for free and would send someone for installing. The installer is another company name. Yep so much unclear and confusion between the staff and the paper. I am so nervous as this might be another contract into high expanses. Yes I called and wrote to CANCEL. The staff replied "OK". I am relieved. I won't open door to any of them if they come again. Looks like I better do my own maintenance.
Last edited by sng006 on Dec 6th, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2689 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you also know you are now the proud owner of a heap air filter that maybe costs 500$.... cancel the contract ASAP. ALSO if you existing contract has lapsed as you said call about a buyout or return and go get your own equipment
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
chriscabob wrote: Did you also know you are now the proud owner of a heap air filter that maybe costs 500$.... cancel the contract ASAP. ALSO if you existing contract has lapsed as you said call about a buyout or return and go get your own equipment
I don't have the air filter installed yet. The staff said he would send someone in to do the installation after the application was approved. Now they shouldn't come.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3475 posts
3994 upvotes
GTA
sng006 wrote: Thank you. The more I have read, the more uncomfortable I am. That was a "credit application and Agreement". Nothing mentioned of my exiting equipment, rather, there is a line saying "Please describe the purchased goods and serves". The staff filled in air cleaner that he said throwing in for free and would send someone for installing. The installer is another company name. Yep so much unclear and confusion between the staff and the paper. I am so nervous as this might be another contract into high expanses. Yes I called and wrote to CANCEL. The staff replied "OK". I am relieved. I won't open door to any of them if they come again. Looks like I better do my own maintenance.
I would be sending them a cancellation letter by registered mail. You will likely need proof of cancellation as they will deny you cancelled within 10 days. That is part of the scam. Keep a copy for yourself.
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
Now I have another questions. If I want to buy out existing equipment or replace them, what is the cost of material and labor for a water heater, high efficiency furnace, air-conditioner and water softener? My existing air-conditioner and water softer is less than a year old and the other two is about 2-3 years old.
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
DaveTheDude wrote: I would be sending them a cancellation letter by registered mail. You will likely need proof of cancellation as they will deny you cancelled within 10 days. That is part of the scam. Keep a copy for yourself.
Should the letter be sent to Lendcare? That is the only "credit application and agreement" I have signed.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3475 posts
3994 upvotes
GTA
sng006 wrote: Should the letter be sent to Lendcare? That is the only "credit application and agreement" I have signed.
Should be a name and address on the contract. If not on contract you may have to send copies to both Lendcare and installing company for certainty.

As for buyout question I would assume they will quote you a ridiculous figure. Probably twice what you would pay someone else to install it for. It will be a deterrent to you to not buy out.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I just read this and it’s a purchase agreement for an air filter for 7000 plus a loan admin fee of 299 at 20% over 5 years. Nothing to do with your existing stuff in your house.
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
DaveTheDude wrote: Should be a name and address on the contract. If not on contract you may have to send copies to both Lendcare and installing company for certainty.

As for buyout question I would assume they will quote you a ridiculous figure. Probably twice what you would pay someone else to install it for. It will be a deterrent to you to not buy out.
The credit app doesn't have the contact for installer, only the name as vendor and then the staff's name as authorized rep of Vendor. Anyway, I will try to find the contact address.

As for my current equipment, I am stuck.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@sng006 From your initial OP it would appear this company came to your door, in clear violation of the CPA Ontario, as Air Cleaners are under the new Ban imposed by the CPA. I will not post the relevant legislation itself, in this case, posting a link to the information that is more clear about your rights. Contact the CPA and file a complaint in addition to the obvious remedies that may be available:

https://www.bbb.org/article/news-releas ... in-ontario
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Oct 4, 2013
141 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
rcmpvet wrote: @sng006 From your initial OP it would appear this company came to your door, in clear violation of the CPA Ontario, as Air Cleaners are under the new Ban imposed by the CPA. I will not post the relevant legislation itself, in this case, posting a link to the information that is more clear about your rights. Contact the CPA and file a complaint in addition to the obvious remedies that may be available:

https://www.bbb.org/article/news-releas ... in-ontario
Thanks, the person came to my door for a routine check on my system (that I have a rental contract with them.) They called prior to coming to my door. I got suspicious after I signed the paper and read very carefully. Now I have called to the person and the lender for cancelling such credit note claiming it was signed in rush. I have also written to these two both by email and registered mail regarding the cancellation, so far so good, no one comes to my home for installing anything.

I also check into my other rental contract. It turned out I have 5 more years to go. The the balance payment they have given to me is the sum of all 5 years payment less about $500. It is still several thousand dollars. Hence I decided to leave it like now. I don't get much benefit of paying it all up front now other than getting rid of the sale pitches that comes by the name of annual inspection. I will be smarter next time when they come.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)