Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Anova Culinary

Anova Sous Vide 900W WiFi - $180CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 2:25 pm
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: Tried this for the first time today.... 130 for about an hour for steak, then a quick sear on both sides. Was tender but definitely not med-rare looking on the inside. Hopefully next time it turns out better.
What type of steak and how thick was it? An hour is pretty close to the minimum you can cook it for (thin steak - any type but tenderloin) - two hours is probably closer to the correct time. Also, are you sure you know what med-rare actually looks like (it doesn't look how you are used to it looking when cooked without sous-vide).
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
flyer12 wrote: What type of steak and how thick was it? An hour is pretty close to the minimum you can cook it for (thin steak - any type but tenderloin) - two hours i ups probably closer to the correct time. Also, are you sure you know what med-rare actually looks like (it doesn't look how you are used to it looking when cooked without sous-vide).
I should have specified that it was cooked beyond Medium rare. I am familiar with what it should look like.

It was an inch+ AAA ribeye.

I cooked it according to the guidelines here: https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous- ... resources/
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
RolandCouch wrote: Tried this for the first time today.... 130 for about an hour for steak, then a quick sear on both sides. Was tender but definitely not med-rare looking on the inside. Hopefully next time it turns out better.
How long did you sear it for? Also, did you pat it dry before searing? Another trick is to submerge the bag into a ice bath before searing. This cools the surface of the meat so the searing process does not further cook the meat.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Chrno wrote: How long did you sear it for? Also, did you pat it dry before searing? Another trick is to submerge the bag into a ice bath before searing. This cools the surface of the meat so the searing process does not further cook the meat.
Only about a minute per side which was in line with what Anova suggests: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-searing-guide-part-1/

I did follow the searing steps suggested, minus the ice bath. Maybe I'll try that next time
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1749 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
I've always wanted to get this but was waiting for a sale... the timing of this is pretty bad for me but I did it anyway. Damnit RFD.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
RolandCouch wrote: Only about a minute per side which was in line with what Anova suggests: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-searing-guide-part-1/

I did follow the searing steps suggested, minus the ice bath. Maybe I'll try that next time
Are you searing with a pan or grill or..?
Try a shorter sear time. On a pan, I sear for about a minute each side at most. I've also tried a charcoal chimney and that only needed about 20 second per side.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Chrno wrote: Are you searing with a pan or grill or..?
Try a shorter sear time. On a pan, I sear for about a minute each side at most. I've also tried a charcoal chimney and that only needed about 20 second per side.
Cast iron pan and following Anova recommend time and temp. I'll give it another shot
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
I cooked some crappy veal shoulder blade from the local Italian grocery store (sotto spalla) - 4.5 hrs in the cooler with my Anova and then finished on the gas BBQ.
Came out butter soft.
Oct 25, 2010
179 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
Anova Sous Vide FTW.... I don't use it as often as I hoped but do use it once a week. So far just meats, beef, chicken, lamb, fish. No veg, carbs or desserts yet. Really want to do some soft poached and ramen eggs, also creme brûlée and cheesecake.

The results are incredible and temperature control compared to traditional cooking is unmatched. I can drop in apiece of meat and carry on about my life and not worry about overcooking or ruining dinner. Searing is a must, super hot and short, I've used cast iron pan, propane torch and BBQ grill, each has their pros and cons. I've used both ziplock bags (real ones from Costco) and a vacuum sealer. Bags are cheap but not a good option for long cooks. Start out with them because they are cheap, stick with name brands for safety purposes. When food saver sealer kit goes on sale then pick one up. It's great for sous vide plus dozens of other uses around the house.

Cooking large batches for parties is easy using a cooler. Cooked a cheap beef roast from Costco for over 12 hours and it came out super soft, another plus, can slow cook tougher cuts into a great meal. Wi-fi is the way to go, I haven't used a remote start with ice bath but often start a cook and leave the house. Wifi allows me to monitor from anywhere. Bluetooth range is okay but from my experience with speakers the coverage is pretty poor in my house.

To me the anova is worth every penny and I would buy again even at retail (a cardinal RFD sin oh my Flushed Face). Do yourself a favour and grab one. Yes there are cheaper noname brands out there but do you trust them with your food safety (a la no name cheapo tires in the winter). Anova is a great brand with great service, the community is amazing and the app and hardware is very well designed. They deserve your money, no some knockoff company that reverse engineer their product without any of the r&d and community support. Yes you can make your own with a probe, temp controller, water heater and circulator but it's doesn't look great (doesn't get wife approval), sucks to travel with, and doesn't have wifi or an app.
Jan 30, 2007
375 posts
487 upvotes
The WiFi version is now $169. I used their Facebook messenger to get a refund on the difference (I would think as long as you are in their 60 return policy, they will give it to you).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)