Hot Deals

[Anova Culinary] Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker - BLACK FRIDAY Sale $129 (70 off) for BT, $159 (100 off) for wifi - Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 1:28 pm
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2330 posts
792 upvotes
aerohead888 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:07 pm
Compared to grabbing a steak from the fridge and going directly to step 7... yes, it's a lot of prep work.

That being said, I can't go back to non-sous vide steaks. I'll now buy the steaks the day before, marinade, vacuum seal them and have them rest in the fridge overnight before cooking.

More work, but well worth it.
Except you don't do step 7 with a raw steak (or at least very few of us do - who enjoys your steak blue?). Cooking a steak non-sous vide requires that you stay at the cooking location for the 4-10 minutes to cook it with the flipping, watching for flareups, etc).
There is more prep work involved with a sous vide steak (and possible more waste depending on what you do with the plastic bag after) but the elimination of the babysitting while cooking and the overall guaranteed deliciousness more than makes up for that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5546 posts
1379 upvotes
I just got a promo code via email for up to $100 off - it expires in 48 hrs (It's the OP's $60/$90 off + this code provides an extra $10 off on check out):
FALL-mwi84ctn
The email said to share with friends and family so it's not a one time use.
Last edited by plymouthhater on Nov 1st, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 22, 2010
125 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:43 pm
I just got a promo code via email for $100 off expires in 48 hrs (It's the OP's $60/$90 + an extra $10 on check out):
FALL-mwi84ctn
Thanks, used the code, but it is $10, not $100.

Thanks,
Cal.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2330 posts
792 upvotes
calvados.boualrd wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:58 pm
Thanks, used the code, but it is $10, not $100.

Thanks,
Cal.
An additional $10 off can be combined with the price in the OP - total $100 or $70 discount
Sep 22, 2010
125 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
flyer12 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 5:17 pm
An additional $10 off can be combined with the price in the OP - total $100 or $70 discount
Gotcha. Your post above made it seem at first glance like the code was for $100 off. (I see the bracketed breakdown shows how the $100 works now.)

Thanks,
Cal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3950 posts
530 upvotes
Aurora
_Jason_ wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:44 pm
patiently waiting for a black friday sale...
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:43 pm
I just got a promo code via email for up to $100 off - it expires in 48 hrs (It's the OP's $60/$90 off + this code provides an extra $10 off on check out):
FALL-mwi84ctn
Thanks. The code worked for me. 169-10=159+tx
This put me over the edge to upgrade my BT model to the wifi model. Now I'll try sell my Anova BT.

OP updated.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2321 posts
786 upvotes
Ottawa
secretliar wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 8:33 am
Do you guys use it?
I have one in the box in my basement since last year* and I don't know what to cook with it that is worth the extra sousvide step :S

*I asked to return it during the free return/refund window, they refunded me and told me to keep it.
Dude... it's awesome. We use ours all the time.
Jul 11, 2007
212 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
thanks OP. ordered. want to make it a christmas gift for wife but i don't think I can wait that long !!
I saw a movie few month ago, forgot the name, but i still remember one of the chief's using Sous Vide and is very intriguing... the wifi and fact that cook can leave it along and forgiveness (leave the steak on the grill for 5 min more than required), i also saw one accessory, torch, is it okay to use the one for plumbing? I had 1 or 2 in the house can save some coin and space for more toys..
May 31, 2009
31 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Is someone willing to give me their anova box for free? I'm looking for the rectangle one. I have the tube, which is a pain in the butt to store. Thanks!
Sep 4, 2007
584 posts
117 upvotes
flyer12 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 1:04 pm
I can't answer the Wi-Fi question as I have the BT model (and have never used that feature). I just turn it on manually when I want to start cooking.
But from what I read earlier, the issue with putting the food in the waterbath hours before you want to start to cook (i.e. before laving for work in the morning) is that it now sits in that dangerous temperature zone (40F - 130F) for hours before the cooking starts. That isn't a good idea at all. I read about suggestions of an ice bath so it stays cold (less than 40F) until the cooker turns on, but that always seemed like more risk that it was worth.
Anova updated their app for Wifi model a week ago. If you're doing an ice bath, it'll notify you as soon as the water temp hits 40F, so then you can start your cook immediately. It may mean that you start your cook sooner, but that's a much more preferable option than to let it sit in that temp.

Check it out Here
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2330 posts
792 upvotes
The plumbing torch won't get as hot or have as wide of a flame as the ones specifically designed for the kitchen, but they do the job.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3950 posts
530 upvotes
Aurora
flyer12 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:39 am
The plumbing torch won't get as hot or have as wide of a flame as the ones specifically designed for the kitchen, but they do the job.
I've always wanted to get something like a Searzall but never pulled the trigger. I've been doing OK with just pan searing or a quick grill outside.
Jan 3, 2007
642 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why sous vide machines are so expensive. There isn't anything complicated in the design.

I don't need any connectivity at all. I'll be in the house if I'm cooking.

They really should be in the $50-70 range. I just bought a stainless steel temperature controlled kettle for $27. It's pretty much the same electronics, just add a water pump. Ridiculous! </EndOfRant>
Jul 22, 2007
193 posts
22 upvotes
I had placed order the day before the coupon came out.

I sent them an email, and they refunded the 10$ within 24 hours

So far great service.

Was supposed to arrive today, but I think Canada Post messed up... So hopefully tomorrow.
Jul 22, 2007
193 posts
22 upvotes
mawzi wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 1:25 pm
Not sure why sous vide machines are so expensive. There isn't anything complicated in the design.

I don't need any connectivity at all. I'll be in the house if I'm cooking.

They really should be in the $50-70 range. I just bought a stainless steel temperature controlled kettle for $27. It's pretty much the same electronics, just add a water pump. Ridiculous! </EndOfRant>
1) build protype from disassembled kettle
2) build even cheaper components yourself.. like a temp sensor and a variable watt heating element connected to a esp8266 and display
3) ??? (Crowdfunding?)
4)win

Do it.

Or just get a simple water thermometer.
Play with stove dial with a pot of water running.
Use a timer.

Canada Post attempted delivery today, wasn't home.
Now gotta wait till tomorrow to pick it up

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)